• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trash Pump Pressure

ToddG

Question

I'm looking at an 8hp 3" trash pump to be used for an unusual application. I need to "power" 30 regular low-flow shower heads at reasonable water pressure. This is 75 gallons flow per minute, from a pump rated at 400gpm. Will I be able to generate enough pressure, and do it without burning out the pump? I'm thinking about 20psi as a target. I guess if back pressure is a concern I could shunt some of the water back to the lake. But any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, even looking at a different type of pump if necessary. I'm building a frame to hold the shower heads that people will walk through to rinse off a large volume of people. Like 1000ppl per hour.

I've talked to the rental company(s) and they haven't been any help at all.

Thanks

4 answers to this question

No, wont work.

Trash pumps don't produce much pressure and there isn't much of a good way to pinch them off to create the pressure without hurting the pump.

There are high pressure pumps available, and not super expensive. Check Northern Tool's site and search for "high pressure pump"

You should look into agricultural spraying equipment, gas or electric pump with a regulator that lets you set your output pressure and returns the excess to prevent over heating the pump. Most sprayers operate from 15 to 60 PSI.

Just for fun, looked at a "semi-trash" pump on northern that pumps 15850 gph or 264 gpm, with a maximum head of 98 feet or about 40psi if I did the conversion right. Powered by honda 6hp motor.

I couldn't tell if the gph is at zero head or at rated head.

Or there is a "high pressure water pump" at 10550gph or 175 gpm at 116 PSI.

BTW the formula to convert head to psi is psi=0.43*head.

I presume you would have to bleed off output back to lake to control pressure.

Thank you gentlemen for pointing me in the right direction. I'm soon to be the proud owner of a NorthStar (Northern Tool) Honda powered, 10,550gph high pressure pump. It will put out 100gpm @ 40psi, so it should suit my needs perfectly. Thanks for the guidance.