• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ripley Archery hunt

erikwells

I am not in a position to hunt Ripley this year however I would like to. My question is should I apply this year to earn a point in hopes of getting drawn next year or the year after?

I wonder if the youth hunt dates are pushed back also -I saw on the news the Adult Hunts are a little later this year. That wouldnt be so bad.

10/17/13 - 10/18/13

Deer Hunt - Camp Ripley Archery Hunt - 1st season

10/26/13 - 10/27/13

Deer Hunt - Camp Ripley Archery Hunt - 2nd season

In the past, the 2nd hunt has usually lands around Halloween. This is the earliest I can remember the 2nd hunt taking place.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I can not see them pushing the hunts for adults because last year the last hunt was the weekend before gun season and that would mean less people applying for the hunt and that means less money. I am applying again with my brother and dad. I am always excited for a chance to get into the camp and hunt. Good Luck to everyone who applies.

Because of military training needs, this year's hunts are being held about a week later than usual: The weekends of Oct. 26-27 and Nov. 2-3. Read this online from the pioneer press.

Here is the link to the DNR's site and news release pertaining to Ripley this year: http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/2013/06/24/d...-archery-hunts/

Hunters may pick from only one of two hunting seasons, Oct. 26-27 (Sat.-Sun., code 668) or Nov. 2-3 (Sat.-Sun., code 669). A total of 5,000 permits, 2,500 per two-day hunt,

Nice! The info I pulled off the DNR site must've been the original link before it changed. Hunting Ripley during early November could be interesting!

Yeah, it was $8 last year - pretty good hike! The demand is there - they know they can get it!

Considering most folks get drawn 3 out of 4 years, and with 5000 accepted each year, then how many apply? 5000 + (1/4 x 5000) = 6250, maybe?. Not sure if I'm doing that right, but it isn't that many more than that get in.

6250 x $12 = $75,000 to put on 4 days of hunting, plus an extra day of camping each weekend, and some set-up beforehand and a bit of clean-up afterwards.

compare to 500,000 firearms hunters x $30 license = $15,000,000 and archers and muzzleloaders, too.

I'm gonna happily pay that $12 this year. smile

we pulled our first year applying and then didn't draw the next year. Then we got drawn last year. Hope I can get lucky and draw again this year. I have talked to guys that have gotten drawn 10 years in a row! good luck all!

I only one time I didnt get drawn. That was the year after the state record was shot. These new dates will make things alot diffent than the regular dates. But Thinking that few will apply since that it interfears with the weekends that they get ready for deer hunting.

The only thing different is the dates. Rifle opener is still the next weekend like it has been if you are talking about the 2nd archery hunt. Opener rifle is the 9th of November.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of questions for the guys that have hunted Ripley before. Do they have extra doe permits this year for that area? My dad and I are going to apply this year for the first weekend, we both have not shot very many deer with our bows and we'd like to take doe with maybe the chance at a buck. Where would you recommend we start looking, I'm not looking for Big buck spots but more so a good chance at killing a doe or two. What type of cover or terrain would you focus on? You can email me if you don't want to post on here. my email is [email protected]

Thank you all for any information.

email also sent

****break*****

Ryan.....my hunt is 30 Sep - 2 Oct this year. If you, dad and the son get drawn again, let me know and we can meet up again and I will pass on any information I have for you guys.

That goes for anyone that will get drawn for the hunt. Can't say that I know everything, but working out there fulltime, you learn a few things here and there! smile

Maybe we can meet at the Canteen or Hangar (if its open) that Friday night when I get off work!

Sounds good Bret. Just my dad and I this year, kid is going to be in college so he is out. We applied for the first weekend again.

musky18 I got a question about a location i am thinking this yr that you might know what it looks like for brush. i tried to pm you but your at limit

musky18 I got a question about a location i am thinking this yr that you might know what it looks like for brush. i tried to pm you but your at limit

Cleaned out my inbox, so you can go ahead and PM me or shoot me an email...... bret.wold at gmail dot com

Sounds good Bret. Just my dad and I this year, kid is going to be in college so he is out. We applied for the first weekend again.

College over Ripley???? He's gonna be pretty mad if you walk in there opening morning and lace a BOONER!!!! Plus..you get a BOONER, gimme a holler and I'll drag it for you! Then send him pictures of text message and make him really really jealous!

Yeah I know what I would have done when I was in college....but I guess it is a good thing to be committed. Heck I used a college loan to buy a new shotgun...just don't tell him that(it was kinda dumb but hey...brand new Beretta!)