Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Fishing Report Clubs - LIMITED MEMBERSHIP - Join Today - FREE   01/24/2018

Fishing Minnesota had added a new menu item (see above) called Fishing Report Clubs. It's a way to keep the really good fishing reports coming and being shared only with those who also provide detailed fishing reports. We will only approve new members who request to join if they have already posted a recent fishing report in the area forum, associated with the Fishing Report Club area  you want to join. We are going to limit the number of regular memberships, in the Fishing Report Clubs, to the top 20  members in each Club, to those with the best frequency and quality fishing reports provided in the club and less so in the regular fishing report forum open to all members. The higher quality fishing report reserved for the club of course. If  you want fishing reports  around your area, I would Join Now, some of the clubs are starting to fill fast. Use the Fishing Reports Club link in the Menu above (after you've posted a fishing report in the regular area forum) and request to Join.
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
bigbluepirahna

RPM too high at WOT

Question

bigbluepirahna

Looking for help. Have a 115 yam 4str with a 13x19 prop on it. Full throttle rpm's are like 6500. Guessing thats too high, right?

Would there be a way to reprop to bring this down, but without increasing low end trolling speed?

I like where it's at for speed just in gear for pulling crankbaits.

If theres a way to do it, what size, pitch, # blades, and material do you recommend?

Thanks....

7 answers to this question

TurnUpTheFishing

Very interested in the answers you get. I purchased a boat with a yamaha 50hp fourstroke. At WOT and properly trimmed it will hit 7000rpms. I try to bring mine up around 6000rpms and level off there. Ive read that four strokes can be ran harder and that reps say its better to run them at higher rpms than lower ones, but I dont know for sure.

bigbluepirahna

Mine is on a alumacraft 185 CS, so with only the 115, it's a bummer to not feel like can run at wot since it's a bit underpowered to start with for any long runs on bigger water.

Kyhl

If it is an aluminum prop, you can swap to a stainless of the same size which should bring it down a couple hundred rpm from the lack of flex in the prop without changing the low rpm speed. Might even increase hole shot.

I'd talk to Jay Soderbloom about it first because he can also recurve the prop to take off another 100 or 200 again with little affect on the idle speed.

My recommendation, call Jay and probably switch to a recurved SS prop of the same size.

harvey lee

I totally agree with Kyhl, call Jay at Soderbloom's as he can suggest what is needed to cure your issues.

Jay knows his prop's.

Whoaru99

For a Yamaha F115, the rating is 115hp @ 5500 RPM, and a WOT RPM range given of 5000-6000. Generally speaking, you want to be at or near the top end of that range with your normal load, so 5700-6000.

Also, generally speaking, 1 inch of prop pitch equals roughly 150-200 RPM change. Since you need to come down about 500-600 RPM, you'd need to increase the pitch of your 19 by 2-3", so something on the order of 21-22" (or closest available).

But, to your point, increasing the pitch of the prop to drop WOT RPM almost certainly will increase your trolling speed if you can't throttle back more. There are trolling plates and such but never have used one.

EDIT: The other possibility is that your tach isn't reading correctly. I'd probably try to get that verified before you spend $$ on a different prop.

bigbluepirahna

Thanks for all the responses thus far. I have an email out to Jay but havne't heard back yet.

Good point too 99 on the tach. It's going to be at the dealer tomorrow to check a livewell issue, so I can ask them about that.

I was out last night, tach was showing close to 7000 rpm when i opened it up, so i backed off a ways to be safe for now.

bigbluepirahna

Tach was problem. They said a yammy wont ever hit 7k without cutting out first. A quick adjustment to some screw behind the dash and problem solved!