• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A Note On Cheap Fillets

Bandersnatch

If you see large "Walleye" fillets at the store for what you consider "cheap", then you should ask to see the shipping container before you buy that "Walleye".

You just may be getting Zander.

There was a lot of hoopla about restaurants here in MN that were serving Zander instead of Walleye back around 2004 or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zander

Figure your price per pound.

Don't forget to include the cost of your boat, motor, equipment, licenses, bait...................

Not to mention that not everyone fishes.

I suppose that I could ask the same of Tuna, since the only Tuna that I eat anymore is Tuna that I catch in Mexico.

fish is commonly mislabeled from grocery stores to fancy restaurants.

and that "calamari" is probably hog rectum. true story.

fish is commonly mislabeled from grocery stores to fancy restaurants.

and that "calamari" is probably hog rectum. true story.

Maybe a little further Up Stream.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Why would you ever pay for walleye fillets in a store?

I agree, I have never bought a Walleye from a store and the last time I eat one from a restaurant was about 20 years ago which was mushy! sick

But, at about $100-150 a weekend for gas, bait and everything else to go get them. Store prices aren't that bad I guess if you just have to have one. Actually I just got done having some for lunch! Yuum. wink

If it were really about the cost per pound most would not wet a line. The cost to be able to fish or what I call peace of mind is "priceless".

Yes cost can be a factor in any outing. If a person can afford it that's great. I look at the benefits of the outing rather than cost. Good thing I never expensed out the cost of pheasant hunting in SD the memories that we have are worth far more than the $$$$ bills. Just sayin you have to justify the cost of anything personally, I' m going fishing, all C/R and still worth the peace and quiet .

The mis-labeling part is illegal, so yeah, they need to let you know what you're buying.

After that, I've never understood what the hubub is about. It's not like zander is a bad fish. Even in the Wiki article it's speaks to how zander is almost indestiquishable from our walleye in taste and texture.

Seems like a deal to me - pay less for less taste... wink Yeah, I went there. grin

Does everyone remember the big fish poaching sting recently. They were selling fish far below market value. Otherwise, what would be the point in buying it?

My rule of thumb is to not buy any walleye. It only supports netting, which I'm against.

Btw, walleye is far from the best tasting fish in this state anyway. Any fish that needs a flavored breading or garlic and butter to taste good, can't be that good.

Btw, walleye is far from the best tasting fish in this state anyway. Any fish that needs a flavored breading or garlic and butter to taste good, can't be that good.

Sorry but I think walleye is very good. I try it many different ways, including just plane. I also eat steak without seasoning or sauce. Do you season or add anything to any your food? Maybe a little butter to potatoes or bread?

I would not ever buy walleye either! I also would not drive 20 miles and wait 2 hours to save a couple of bucks! I f we have to put a value on entertainment then I;m spending 10x a year more than I make! Heck even the few hours of TV cost me more than $600 mo. in overtime loss, cable, electric,floor space, et.

Quote:
Sorry but I think walleye is very good. I try it many different ways, including just plane. I also eat steak without seasoning or sauce. Do you season or add anything to any your food? Maybe a little butter to potatoes or bread?

There's a huge difference between seasoning and completely covering up the flavor with breading or butter.

I eat raw potatoes while cooking. I eat raw vegetables while cooking. I season my steaks with salt and pepper only.

Walleye is good, but far from the best in this state. I like lake trout, stream trout, pike, bluegill, salmon much more than walleye. Mainly because you can taste the flavor of the fish thru the seasonings.

Let me add that I love the fact that walleyes are so sought after. It leaves the tastiest fish for me;)

I looked at purchasing walleye at our local store. At 35.99 a lb, i will eat steak instead. The best walleye i have had was from leech lake, but the cost to ship them home was not worth the price. I would take a day on a lake over buying fish anyday.

Sorry Max,

Not meaning to start anything, but I have yet to catch a trout or salmon out of Mille Lacs. (this is a Mille lacs section). Also You say, (walleye is good), then (can't be that good). By the sounds of your post, your problem is Mille Lacs and netting. Which I believe the OP was not talking about.

I really wished I knew of a good place to catch nice blue gills but I don't.

Ps I like gravy on potatoes but that does not mean they can't be good too!

Added: They do net salmon also!!

I would much rather eat a smallmouth or a pike, than a walleye out of Mille Lacs and Old Dewjabber if your looking for NICE sunfish look at Mille Lacs, there are some dandys in that body of water too. I would eat those before an eye also wink

The walleye is a tasteless white fillet of fish compared to any other fresh water fish in this state.

Jeez... If I have to read another post about the cost of fish/pound I might puke! If you're worried about the $$$, then just go buy your fillets. It's a scientifically proven fact to be cheaper that way. Then come back here and give us a full report on the grocery store.

I don't think there are too many fisherman in this world that go fishing because it's a cheap way to provide food for your family.

I don't think there are too many fisherman in this world that go fishing because it's a cheap way to provide food for your family.

There are still very many that fish to provide and it is a cheap way top provide food.

The Kiss theory should be kept in mind, and the fisherman ( the human part) in us is the one that drives the cost up with having to always have the next best thing. wink

Well I just choked down another batch of those tasteless Red Lake walleye fillets. Not sure how many more I can stand. Maybe if I'm lucky the drum will be biting a little better on the next trip. wink

Well now, those Red lake walleyes are a fish of another flavor... grin

In my world there are 4 different walleye flavors:

Red lake = Yum, best walleye I've ever had.

English River, Ontario = Meh, absolutely the most tasteless fish I've ever had, period.

Rum River = No thanks, taste like, well, I dunno so I'll pass.

Everywhere else = Mich Golden Light

Red lake drum taste like giant sunfish. smile

Actually zander was a big thing many years ago but I haven't seen any for years. It looks different in that it's not pure white like a walleye but almost as yellow as a northern. Pretty easy to see the difference.

Well now, those Red lake walleyes are a fish of another flavor... grin

Red lake = Yum, best walleye I've ever had.

English River, Ontario = Meh, absolutely the most tasteless fish I've ever had, period.

Rum River = No thanks, taste like, well, I dunno so I'll pass.

Everywhere else = Mich Golden Light

Red lake drum taste like giant sunfish. smile

I would have to disagree with your first answer Wanderer, if I were to pick a anywhere for best tasting fish it would have to be Devils Lake, NoDak, hands down. No matter the species

smile

I would have to disagree with your first answer Wanderer, if I were to pick a anywhere for best tasting fish it would have to be Devils Lake, NoDak, hands down. No matter the species

Alright, let's settle this.

Set a plate of about half a dozen Red Lake walleye fillets, from 16.5 inchers, and a similar plate of same size Devil's Lake walleye in front of me. Along with a few ice cold Grain Belt Premiums to cleanse the palate between bites, and I'll let you know.

If it were really about the cost per pound most would not wet a line. The cost to be able to fish or what I call peace of mind is "priceless".

Totally agree Gordie, I fish on average at least 3 times a week and if I were to add up the cost per pound, gold may be a better deal.

Love to eat fish but enjoy the day on the lake or river even more.

Alright, let's settle this.

Set a plate of about half a dozen Red Lake walleye fillets, from 16.5 inchers, and a similar plate of same size Devil's Lake walleye in front of me. Along with a few ice cold Grain Belt Premiums to cleanse the palate between bites, and I'll let you know.

No Contest,. Devils Lake wins cause you can have fresh walleye 365 days a year grin

Gordie, I didn't say my world was a big world. wink

so you guys think the walleyes from different lakes, areas taste different?

I partially agree with that. Fish with different forage bases but the same species....do taste different in my opinion.

Eyes from Oahe are great. Eyes from clean, oligotrophic lakes that are less fertile are awesome too..and in my opinion, much whiter in color when cooked.

I think the taste in the fish depends upon how they were cooked, how they were taken care of and how fat the fish was when harvested....trimming the fat from the filet improves the taste of the final product (belly meat, laterial line fat, etc..)

Great topic guys!