• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnkota foot pedal speed control problem

skibass

Question

I bought a used Minnkota Copilot bow mount trolling motor and have been battling the "on" switch that allows the motor to run at a constant speed while I steer. The speeds work well and the motor works well if I use the foot pedal that is below the left and right steering pedal. It is just really touchy with the "constant on" switch. Not sure if this makes sense to anyone else, but if it does is there anyone that has ideas on how to fix this problem?

Thanks.

2 answers to this question

Is the problem you are having with the CoPilot wireless remote, or are you having problems with the wired foot controller.

Also, what model of motor is it? Original PowerDrive or PowerDrive V2?

If the problem is with the foot pedal, I would check with a local MinnKota repair center to see if the switch is serviceable, or might just need to replace the pedal all together.

The constant on off switch not working would drive me nuts, I use it all the time.

If it's a Powerdrive foot pedal, they commonly fail because of sand/dirt in the workings. I've fixed two of mine by taking apart the pedal, cleaning it and re-lubing the slides with silicone grease. The pedal is held together with three springs. They're easy to remove, a little harder to reassemble. You need to wrap a small piece of wire on one end of them (like twist tie wire) to get them threaded back into the holes. Then grab the hook on the spring with a small needle-nose pliers and pull it into place.