• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

will be heading up to dead lake on the 25th and am planning on chasing some eyes. yes i know this lake is full of small northern and is a better bass and panfish lake however it is where the family is going and therefore is where i will be fishing. we are staying on the east arm. just looking for some general directions. jig or drift, bait, depth? only get to fish this lake once a year if even that. love the lake, just not a great walleye lake i guess. thanks for any advice in advance.

james

Try the two humps on the North arm and the sand point between the East and West arms with Lindy rigs. The biggest problem this time of year on Dead is weeds, they start to get thick. Troll the North shore of the East arm just outside the weedline in 17-24 feet of water. Lindy rigs around Maytag Island in 20-30 feet. If you get frustrated go find the sunfish Dead has some of the best.

It is getting a little late in the year for a lot of walleye action. The lake is filled with forage this time of year. However, they can be found. Troll spinners with crawlers along weedlines and lindy rigs on drop offs. You won't catch a bunch, but you might snag a few. Plan to do some pan fishing. Beatle Spinners around cabbage beds will get you some nice crappies and sunnies.

I am a long time resident of the lake, and I have self-imposed a slot limit for myself and guests. We don't keep anything over 20 inches or under 14 inches. This is not a DNR rule, but I believe if everyone was judicious in what they keep we could keep the lake nice and healthy. No reason to kill 20 to 30 inch fish. The best eaters are 15 to 18 inchers. Have fun and good luck.

Funny thing is being from sd and many lakes/ rivers enforcing slots. I just assumed dead lake had a slot limit too. Good to know however wont change much. Still wouldn't keep anything outside 15-20

I am a long time resident of the lake, and I have self-imposed a slot limit for myself and guests. We don't keep anything over 20 inches or under 14 inches. This is not a DNR rule, but I believe if everyone was judicious in what they keep we could keep the lake nice and healthy. No reason to kill 20 to 30 inch fish. The best eaters are 15 to 18 inchers. Have fun and good luck.

So wish more people did this. Good on ya. Seriously.

Nothin like a little armchair biology.

Maybe, but it can't hurt to be selective.

• 10 months later...

full-45987-45890-fishy.jpg

caught this 26 inch on dead close to shore, he was dripping spawn. is there not any females left for him?

Nothin like a little armchair biology.

X2

If you were going to worry about keeping lake health and reproduction why wouldn't you put back anything between 17-22 in and keep between 14-17 to eat? The 17-22 are the walleyes that reproduce.

We are not trying to save the world, just doing our bit with some selective harvest ideas. I always find it very interesting that most ideas posted on this site are usually met with some level of criticism. We do what we do on Dead Lake because we simply choose to do it. No need for deeply thought out reasons. I just wish more people would have a set of selective harvest practices. Just so you know, most of our fish are between 14 and 17 because that seems to be the most abundant size in the lake. Keeping a couple 18 and 19's in favor of releasing everything over 20 seems like an okay thing to do.

I, for one, appreciate what you are doing Mav. Good Luck to you this year! I have to say we are also pretty selective on what we keep for walleye, as we rarely stumble into them.

On a side note regarding Dead Lake, we have found the hammer handles seem to have packed on some weight over the last couple of years. We caught a mess of them, and have adopted an "all northern must die" attitude (under 24" anyways). Caught and ate 3 limits worth with 3 guys, and caught more for pickling.

Minnesota has allowed anglers to keep too many big northerns over the years, tipping the biological ­balance in scores of lakes and leaving many teeming with small "hammer-handle" northerns that are hurting walleye and perch populations.

That’s according to a retired Department of Natural Resources fisheries biologist, who predicts a dim future for quality walleye and northern fishing on hundreds of Minnesota lakes unless major fishing regulation changes are made.

"We need to do something ­drastic," said Jim Lilienthal, 67, of rural Brainerd, a member of Anglers for Habitat. "It will take restrictive regulations like we’ve never dreamed of to correct the situation."

Such as allowing — and encouraging — anglers to take an unlimited number of northerns under 24 inches while allowing none over 24 inches to be kept. Would anglers keep and eat small northerns and release larger ones, in hopes of ­stabilizing the fisheries population?

What probably irks me the most is the baskets of panfish that the resort folk seem to bring in over and over and over again in the same weekend. Hopefully they are being counted and watched.

I watched an Iowa pontoon on east bay wed & thursday sit out there ALL day, I guarantee they went back & forth to northern lights resort 3 times. sunfish were all over the place.

its like these pricks come up for a week and catch enough to last them the entire year

We caught a mess of them, and have adopted an "all northern must die" attitude (under 24" anyways). Caught and ate 3 limits worth with 3 guys, and caught more for pickling

Two thumbs up!!!

-Merk

I watched an Iowa pontoon on east bay wed & thursday sit out there ALL day, I guarantee they went back & forth to northern lights resort 3 times. sunfish were all over the place.

its like these pricks come up for a week and catch enough to last them the entire year

BisoNation,

I have seen the same thing BUT, with Minn tags on the pontoon, and they actually live on the lake.

Now, while I'll agree that ANYONE who is over their limit needs to be ticketed and prosecuted if grossly over. People who travel to resorts have the right to take their legal limit of fish, no matter what state they live in. But with that said, that's the reason I don't give out specific spots. whistle

I would prefer everyone was catch and release person like myself and many others, but that's not going to always be the case. When my dad and brothers come up, they like to take some fish home, but, they also are selective on the size and number.

If you know for a fact that people are taking more than their limits, CALL tip. If your not sure, then you're just assuming. They may be like me, I go out in the morning, then in to eat lunch, then back out for the afternoon, and maybe back in for supper, the out for the evening. smile

I think this led to someone calling tip on me, because for 3 days, I had the DNR watching me from shore with their binoculars. Didn't bother me at all, it was nice to see that they're watching people.

Again, Not saying your wrong, just looking at other ideas. smile

I have always done very well Walleye fishing on the lake, and have numerous "go to" sights that have always produced fish. I have also found the size structure is getting better year after year. grin

For multi species fishing, it is, IMO, the best lake I have fished in OTC.

Please don't ask for spots, as I have spent over 30 years finding the one's I have found. If you want general information, I fish primarily crankbaits in water less than 15 feet (Sorry, I know that's 80% of the lake). Perch seems to be my best color, but other have also produced well.

The bass, crappie and pan fishing is awesome at times, and if you like to sort through many small northerns, there are many fish in the 30" plus range.

Good luck everyone fishing the lake.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

The lake has fished stocked with my tax dollars-they are all 'eater' walleyes they do not spawn successfully in a lake like Dead. I would not eat a large walleye for a variety of reasons but I will eat a 16'' fish. You may want me to throw back that 16'' fish so next year you can catch it at 17, but for me I may know I will not be back next year-as someone has already pointed out the real concern is people taking many limits of panfish(they do spawn in Dead!)If the lake needs a slot the DNR will not be shy about imposing one-if you put pressure on the lake continually and want to impose a slot on yourself well that makes sense but don't give me a look for keeping a few smaller fish.

Keep what you want and eat what you want. After all that is exactly what we do. My preference for what we keep in my camp is just my preference. I'm wondering where you got your information that walleyes don't spawn in Dead Lake. If that's the case, I'm sure glad they stock it. That might be why there is so few walleyes in the lake.

Not sure why some fish spawn so easily and some do not-they probably have a spawn but it is not successful or the DNR would not have to stock the lake. We always keep a mix of fish for a fry and never spank one species. We will probably go in July, look for a Northwoods boat with a 25 merc.

Good luck out there!

Walleye spawn just fine in Dead lake. There are rock bars, rock piles and gravel areas throughout the lake. The stocking started in 2005 to supplement natural reproduction. The walleye have been in the lake alot longer than that.

heading to dead again in a few days..last years weather was fantastic and looks to be about he same this time....didnt smack the walleye but actually did well. took a few home with me and had a blast catchin panfish. anyhoo looking for any updates on a good bite around this time of year. thank you all!!

Ive seen spawning walleyes on dead lake (think the sand bars by the islands) and Dead River goes into Walker lake...and the hatchery is there.

Yea I called the local Game Warden.

Spawning? Now? Wow very late. Would they put a hold on walleye fishing if they were? I know Minnesota has a walleye season but can they do tat? Just curious wouldn't ruin my week but would certainly put a damper on things.

Spawning? Now? Wow very late. Would they put a hold on walleye fishing if they were? I know Minnesota has a walleye season but can they do tat? Just curious wouldn't ruin my week but would certainly put a damper on things.

I was answering someone's question about walleys spawning in dead lake "as i have seen them in the past" no they arent spawning now, geez whiz. haha.

I pulled cranks last night on dead for 4 hours, 8 northerns, 5 bass 3 crappies 2 sunnies 0 walleyes. lamesville

They spawn late fall with the ciscos(kidding) Here in the metro they go up rivers to spawn but they are not successful-If the DNR stocks Walter the spawn is not successful.