Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
MikeG3Boat

Purchasing Electronics on-line??

Question

MikeG3Boat

I am looking at purchasing some electronics for my boat, electric trolling motor and Sonar/GPS system. The question I have is who has had some experience of buying Boating Electronics on-line? Are there stores that are good/bad? The reason I am considering this is saving some taxes and in some cases purchase price. I want to know what I should look out for before purchasing the items. Thanks for any advice!

10 answers to this question

JohnMickish

I have purchased online from Pro Fishing Supply (www.profishingsupply.com) with no problems and saved a ton of cash over the big box stores. I recommend them.

Brad B

I have purchased online from Pro Fishing Supply (www.profishingsupply.com) with no problems and saved a ton of cash over the big box stores. I recommend them.

wouldn't there be the Minnesota sales tax when you buy from them if you live in the state too. the only way to get around the taxes is to buy from out of state (technically you do still need to pay a "use tax" for online purchases if they are over $700 a year. I don't know of this ever being enforced by the state thou. the use tax rate is the same as the sales tax rate)

Kyhl

Check the prices at pro fishing supply. They were pretty good when I was upgrading a couple years ago. Plus he's local, in the west metro.

JeffB

I bought one from universlmania dot com and had no problems. I save a bunch and have been happy. If you buy from an online company always remember to do a search for any coupon codes they may have available.

B-man715

As mentioned, you don't need to buy from a stanger in another state to get the best price. Dave at Profishingsupply is great, as is Grandpa Joes, who you drive by to get to the cabin. They both will have great pricing! You don't have to spend more to keep your money local smile

Tom7227

I have bought at least two items from ProFishing Supply and Dave has helped me get all the right things both times, advice that is hard to find on-line and nearly as difficult at a big box store. You can call and talk to him and he will help you out in a heartbeat. The cost of sales tax is small compared to the problems you face if you buy the wrong transducer. Besides, I think MN is going to start collecting sales tax from at least the big on line operations as of July 1.

BobT

I have purchased online electronics from Hodges Marine in Florida. Competitive prices and fast delivery.

harvey lee

I would go with Dave at ProFishing supply in Waconia, even if you have to pay the sales tax.

Dave can help you with the unit you need and answer any questions very honestly.

thatoneguy

Support a local store, and don't fret about saving a few bucks. When I bought my Humminbird 898c SI, I got it from Reeds in Walker and never even considered going online. I could have maybe saved a few bucks, but I'd rather keep the money in my community. Just my two cents' worth.

Ufatz

Just wait until you call Great Buys R US looking for some tech assist with all your new "cheap" electronic stuff. The guy on the phone will say "Your who calling from where? Never heard of ya. You gonna buy somethin' or what?"

I buy occasionally on line....special olive oil, books etc. but keep your money in MN or your local town. Your warranties are all the same and you can walk through the door and TALK to somebody if you have a problem.