• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ever hooked yourself?

It happens all the time to me. I get a little to careless and bang, hook in the finger, etc...

A new fisherman I know sends me this....as he is on his way to the ER.

Kastmasterinarm.jpg

He is worried it will become infected, consumed by ebola or something, I dont know.

Looks like a daily occurance to me nothing to worry about.... I did go in once but it was a 5/0 treble and had a 10# pike drive it deep into my leg and my tetnis was out of date....

not ER worthy.

That one just needs a good yank, some soap, a shot of hydrogen peroxide, and maybe some neosporin and a bandaid.

everybody should learn the hook yank:

Never been hooked past the barb myself{knock on wood} but I have seen much, much worse wink he Tell your buddie he will most likley live grin

That one just needs a good yank, some soap, a shot of hydrogen peroxide, and maybe some neosporin and a bandaid.

ER is going to charge you about 450 for the same.....might as well keep it in your pocket wink While have had a few close calls, have never done myself in. That little dude in my avatar, has however, "caught" me twice....ultimately same formula as above applied.....clipped once, yanked another. Not a pleasant experience, but could be a lot worse. Yeah, not to rip on your buddy, but think he is going to survive grin

Not yet. I've drawn blood, but never gone past the barb. One of these days I know I'm going to smack myself with a bead headed nymph and bury a small hook, but I'm prepared for that. I just hope I never get a big ol' musky treble in me.

Yup. Checking my knots buy pulling on the lure one morning about 3:30am one morning and buried one deep into the meat just below the thumb. My first reaction was anger thinking I was not going to get on the road as early as planned. Went in the house looked on YouTube saw the fish line trick and woke my wife and on the second try out she popped. I was amazed at how easy it came out. In another case was removing a pike and got one in the finger kinda like the one photo. In that case I was able to push The hook so the barb came out and was able to clip the barb of and slide the hook out. Once up on whitefish my brother in law got one good on his ear. We took him to the local Doc and he got it out. The Dr had a silhouette body target on the wall that was nearly compleley covered with little stickers. He said each sticker represented an area he had taken a hook out of someone. All I can say after seeing that a hook in the hand or ear is nothing! grin

I have gotten it twice in the last couple years. First was a full on hookup in the shoulder as my little guy was casting last year and he sunk 2/3 hooks into my shoulder. Then there was this past weekend where I was reaching for a little pike and he thrashed wildly and I ended up with 2/3 hooks just below my right elbow. Boatside surgery once again. I will say that even small barbed hooks don't pull out of your skin easily and it is amazing how far your skin can stretch!

Tunrevir~

Have you guys never heard of barbless hooks? Many tests have conducte and they mostly show the same thing: fish hooked on a barbless lure stay on so long as there is tension on the line-not ALL the time, but most of the time. I have had large trout swim around my feet with a barbless #14 dry fly in their jaw. And so you have one come off now and then?..so what? I have not had a barbed hook for so long I can't remember. And I have had large, violent fish stick hooks in me (crazy barracuda, wild small cohos,powerful nasty halibut) and when it happens I grab the hook with fingers or pliers or hookout and just lift it out.

Do yourself a favor-smash those barbs.

Or pay the ER guy to do it for you.

A few in myself, mostly 'tips' from customers. lol I've only had to have one removed from a Dr, have had many removed from myself by other guides I work with, and have pulled a ton of them out of customers and coworkers. The alaskan breeze and inexperienced casters seem to help with this.

Exactly- barbless/ pinching the barbs down on a lot of flies/lures that my customers use is for ME and smaller holes in my rain gear not just the fish. Also- many of these lures, especially crank baits have way to many hooks on there to begin with. Do yourself a huge favor and every crank bait that has 3 trebles take off the middle one and add a good quality single to the rear. You will hook up just as well. I would have never made the switch over with confidence until a river I work on went to all single hook- had to swap out two trebles for a larger single on hundreds of lures- all of which hook really well now, come out of the fish less by the boat, and don't get tangle in nets and people as much.

That one in the picture should have been popped out and fishing resumed in a minute. ;-)

I had to go to the ER once for a treble dug in deep in my hand, 2 of the barbs were in deep. I wiggled and wiggled, just could not get that thing out. bleeding like a stuck fisherman. Took the doc a little while to push them through and cut the ends off and pull it out, hurt like heck. They added the lure to their collection at the hospital.

Had my first from a wriggly little dink of a pike last summer. Pushed the barb forward, cut the hook, and pulled the rest back through. Not a lot of fun, but I lived to fish another day.

I sat on a muskie sized triple treble hooked bait when i was younger. All three treble hooks past the barb through the jeans. Dad "Gripped it and Ripped it" with a pliers.

I've had a few other in past the barb since. I just yank them out and patch them up with a little hydrogen peroxide.

This last saturday i pulled a Martin Rigs and popped my shoulder back into place after doing a superman dive into 2nd base and popping it out of socket. LOL. Ouch. So a little hook isn't too big of a deal once it is out.

Got my first one in past the barb a couple weeks ago. One of the trebles from my jerkbait went in right on the side of my index finger nail. Went staight into the center of my finger. Never done the line trick before but thank god a fellow HSO member "Cecil" was right by haha. Lets just say he seemed more nervous then me. He got it out on the 2nd pull. Thanks Dr. Cecil!

Not this year, but I have been hooked before and the fishing line trick works awesome. The best one though was when I was maybe 10 or so my younger brother and I were bass fishing with floating Rap's and just hammering the bass, then it happened he got a hook in his finger. Being the awesome big bro I am, I caught half a dozen more bass before helping him out (he was out fishing me anyway, so I had to take advantage of that opportunity) HeHe.

I had it happen around 10 years ago with a nice pike. Picked the fish up out of the net, it thrashed, slipped out of my hand and then shook while it was hanging from my thumb by the hook! OUCH!! Luckily, I was able to cut the hook off with a side cutter and push the hook back out and continue fishing. Hoping to never repeat that again!

A 10# pike flipped and drove one of the trebles in the hand between my thumb and the palm of my hand. Barb was buried. I pushed the barb through the skin and then cut the barb off. The pulled the hook back out.

First I had to get the pike loose from the hook with one hand. I did have a side cutters at hand so it was fairly easy.

The string I now carry in the boat.

We were fishing Angle Inlet quite a few years ago and a dad came in with his 10 year old son with a treble from a daredevil buried in his son's eye. We used duck tape and taped the daredevil to his forehead so the hook would not move in his eye.

Buddy fired up his plane and we flew the son and Dad to Int Falls to the hospital.

In the end, all was well and the son didn't have any seriuos side effects with his vision.

I did have a side cutters at hand so it was fairly easy.

That's another one. Always have a pair of cutters that are tough enough to handle the hooks you use.

Heh... this topic is actually a large reason I started using barbless hooks on all of my flies.

Hookup rate isn't any different than it was before... and I feel much better huckin 10" musky flies in a crosswind now.

I also feel safer reaching for a beverage while tying a 5/0 fly that is turned upside down in the vise if the barb is crushed... whistle

More times than I care to remember, but the worst was when I was around 12 yrs. old we(my brother and I) bicycled to Prior Lake from Jordan and started fishing the shore line around 8 am and by 8:30 I have stuffed a hook in my right index finger , I walked to the nearest house and ask the lady that lived their if she had a wire clippers and she did so I cut the hook of .but I couldn't push it thru my finger cause it was to painful so I left it in their and fished the rest of the day and the biked home and then it was the 110mph ride to the ER with the old man and once their he told the doc to make it hurt. I think the worst part of the whole ordeal was each time I would cast my spinning rod the line would catch the end of the hook and pull on it and I would let out a little yelp and my brother would giggle about it.

Got some other stories but those are for another time wink

Hey Slabs....I was beginning to think I was talking to myself about barbless hooks. It seems impossible to get the point across to many guys. A lot of pain and misery and money could be saved very simply.

I'm at the point where I have a hard time generating any sympathy for people who just won't listen or learn.

Worst I ever got was a single 6/0 hook to the arm. It seems you never hook yourself, its always someone else. It was past the barb, so I just took a pliers and yanked really hard. I run barb-less now.