Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

MarkB

The walleyes are definitely on the feed. My wife and I haven't been catching huge numbers of fish but 10-20 for a mornings outing has been the norm. The walleyes appear to be scattered over a fairly large area once they're located and trolling or drifting presentations are finding lots of willing biters. Definitely take both crawlers and leeches. One day, crawlers, bouncers, and floats is all they want. The next day, leeches, no-snags, short leaders, and color specific beads and hooks is what it takes. But once you find the right combination, you're in business. The last couple of days have been fabulous but, today, it took a color change on my part to keep up with my wife. Once I matched her hook/bead color, I went from zero hits to 6 fish over the next 30 minutes! Generally, during the mayfly hatch, we tweak our presentation a little and do good on 1/2 crawlers(it's usually when we switch over entirely to crawlers). Today, leeches were the ticket and I kept a few for supper. They were FULL sick of mayflies! Go figure. Casey and I were discussing whether the mayfly mud bite was even going to happen this year. After today, I'm not so sure it won't happen wink.

There really isn't a specific type of structure that isn't producing right now. Obviously, the fish aren't everywhere so, at times, it takes a bit of looking around but finding them is what makes it fun.

Water temps have finally reached the low 60's in Big Bay. If the fish have a biological clock, I would guess that, to them, it's the last week in May. Try looking for them on that basis wink.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

PSU

Thanks again for the solid report Mark! You mentioned the may fly hatch. Does anyone know if they have hatched in the Frazer Bay area yet? We are on an island in between Frazer and Smart's Bay. Coming up Wednesday evening.

Thanks

MarkB

Actually, PSU, I don't think they're actually hatching anywhere yet. The water temps, however, have finally reached the magic numbers in some areas and I would expect to see adults in the next week or so depending on water temps. What I was referring to was mayfly larvae. They show up in the guts before the adults start showing up on the surface.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

redlabguy

Good report! We're getting back on the lake Friday for the long term and this all sounds good! See you in the late May areas! That mud flat bite would be fun again.

RLG

Casey Sunsdahl

We were in a small bay around 1 pm and there were mayflys buzzing all over, the guys I had said they saw a ton last night on the south side of birch point up near moose. They are coming!

james_walleye

I guess I should have concentrated more on the eyes this weekend. I took the kids casting quite a bit, hoping for a few eyes but expecting more pike and bass. Interestly enough, while casting we ran into some perch. We downsized and the kids had a blast tuna boating them in the shallow water. With time a bit short we didn't keep any but certainly could have kept a mess of them. Not sure if they are wormy out of the shallow water? If we can get them in 2 weeks ill find out.

jkrash

A few mayfly over head but way more misquitos and they were on the attack last night.

Captain Acorn

Well Mark it sounded like you did very well. I was up there last Thursday though Sunday morning and caught some fish but really had to work for them. I caught fish in 5 ft of water and 25 ft of water. Caught a lot of 10 to 12 inchers on jigs and minnows in the shallows but had most of my success on deeper flat areas. You sure had to look for them. most of my normal spots off of drop offs and points wernt producing fish so I headed out to about 25 ft of water with no structure what so ever and started catching some nice keepers. I didn't try crawlers but had success with leeches and lindy rig with a 4 ft to 6 ft snell. I had a red bead on to start with and when I took it off is when I started hitting fish. I was up with the family so I didn't have a lot of time to switch colors and try different hooks and beads.

Uncle Boney

Got my largest Walleye ever, 28", the other day along with some other slot fish. On the windy side of a rocky point with a leech, pretty classic spot.

I am surprised at the girth of the walleye this year. They look really robust and healthy. I couldn't put my hands around the 28"er.

Capt. H (Ret.)

Had a few in the boat this morning in Pikebay. It's not bad yet but I agree, it's coming!!!

Mike