• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy Lake Fishing Reports by Rainydaze Guide Service

How many of those do you think will be living several days after you brought them to the surface.

I dunno. But I will be back on Friday. I can check and report back to you.

Asking this seriously not trying to undermine at all, but why are you speculating these Walleye caught in 40 feet will be dead in 7 days? I would be interested to hear the theory behind this. If it's convincing I would start to look at, as you suggest, not fishing them. Why 7 days? Did you have an experience at one point where you nailed them in 40 feet at Spot X and 7 days later upon return to Spot X dead fish in area? Etc.

Asking this seriously not trying to undermine at all, but why are you speculating these Walleye caught in 40 feet will be dead in 7 days? I would be interested to hear the theory behind this. If it's convincing I would start to look at, as you suggest, not fishing them. Why 7 days? Did you have an experience at one point where you nailed them in 40 feet at Spot X and 7 days later upon return to Spot X dead fish in area? Etc.

I will assume you are addressing this comment to SledNeck and not myself.

The MN DNR did a study on Rainy a few years ago. It is on the Internet somewhere but I have lost the link.

In Fisherman did quote the study in one of their articles. Here is a link to a discussion about it. Forty feet = 18% dead fish, 50 feet = 35% dead fish. You will see few if any floating unless they die immediately upon release. Eagles or pelicans get em as fast as they pop up and some never surface.

Talk about In Fisherman article.

Crappies are even worse. I once was really into the crappie in 30 feet of water. There was a huge school right under boat so I was vertical jigging. Ever drop resulted in a bite. I was releasing them all and they would swim away. After about 45 minutes I happened to look behind me and there were a dozen pelicans and a flock of seagulls downwind from my anchored position. Hmmmm? What are they doing 30 feet behind my boat? My question was soon answered as a crappie popped to the surface and was gobbled by a pelican. I hated to leave that spot but no sense killing all those fish I thought I was releasing successfully.

Thanks Captain John this is the type of documentation/research I reference. I will search for it. Link you put on said 'topic removed' but I will try later.

The MN DNR did a study on Rainy a few years ago. It is on the Internet somewhere but I have lost the link.

In Fisherman did quote the study in one of their articles. Here is a link to a discussion about it. Forty feet = 18% dead fish, 50 feet = 35% dead fish. You will see few if any floating unless they die immediately upon release. Eagles or pelicans get em as fast as they pop up and some never surface.

Talk about In Fisherman article.

Crappies are even worse. I once was really into the crappie in 30 feet of water. There was a huge school right under boat so I was vertical jigging. Ever drop resulted in a bite. I was releasing them all and they would swim away. After about 45 minutes I happened to look behind me and there were a dozen pelicans and a flock of seagulls downwind from my anchored position. Hmmmm? What are they doing 30 feet behind my boat? My question was soon answered as a crappie popped to the surface and was gobbled by a pelican. I hated to leave that spot but no sense killing all those fish I thought I was releasing successfully.

Capt. John

I can understand the shock and stress that is put on a fish at that depth. In the study was any reference made to bringing the fish up slow?

For the record, like 1 fish was caught at 44' when we drifted off the far edge of a reef. Most were caught at 32-33 fow.

I'd like to submit those depths for approval.

Normally I never fish deeper than 37 fow. I just don't like having that much line out while trolling around an area.

IMHO I still think that is pushing the limit for catching and releasing walleyes, but that is my choice.

For the record, like 1 fish was caught at 44' when we drifted off the far edge of a reef. Most were caught at 32-33 fow.

I'd like to submit those depths for approval.

Normally I never fish deeper than 37 fow. I just don't like having that much line out while trolling around an area.

Thanks for snooping around to find this and for bring it back to the surface for all to read and share. Hopefully with this will come smarter fisherman and seek fish that have a good chance of survival when released.

full-27059-35385-walleyemortalityfromdee

John,

I suggest the graph be placed on the forum as a "sticky". This conversation has come up several times with lots of differing opinion. Our fishing methods should be based on hard data and this graph says it all.

Years ago before I knew about this, I experienced some deeply caught fish that could not return to deep water. Members of this forum informed me to focus on fish less than 30 FOW and that solved the problem. Also data shows that "fizzing" a walleye (releasing air from the bladder) has a high mortality rate. That data is on the forum.

The best method to support conservation is to leave the deep fish alone.

Regards,

Wayne

In an effort to bring my fishing reports back to my fishing reports Here we go!! LOL!!

The "Hooking Mortality debate surely can have it's own thread". Lots of studies done on this and bas been highly debated for many years.

On the bright side.........my favorite gals put a hurt on the big Walleyes the past couple days; NOT LITERALLY!! All were effectively CPR'D!! full-46117-35408-995461_1020176597205020

full-46117-35409-971393_1020175590075843

full-46117-35410-45218_10201765973650246

full-46117-35411-1012263_102017659761303

full-46117-35412-1094503_102017559020784

full-46117-35413-1026268_102017659733302

full-46117-35414-73110_10201765973970254

full-46117-35415-1093811_102017659744102

full-46117-35416-1116162_102017659755302

Sorry Cecil. Didn't catch your inquiry. Yes some of the Smallies have been found in some of the areas we're catching Walleyes. This is much more common as fall comes.

• 4 weeks later...

Fishing remains incredible and the fish seem to be further concentrated which is normal for fall fishing on Rainy Lake. Our last group landed around 100 Walleyes in US water. Had a beautiful limit of 15-16.75 inch fish. Bigger slots are mixed in. The biggest and Baddest of Rainy Lake Walleyes really get angry as the water cools. Don't miss fall fishing on Rainy Lake as it can be incredible!! Here's a nice Catch from Katchin' Kelly from last evening. Never miss a chance to take the ones you love out fishing. Even guiding 120 days a summer........I never turn down a request from either Kelly or my daughter to hit the lake!!

We are catching our fish in 22-28 feet of water with Pink or Blue jigs and minnows. We also chased some Crappies on Saturday in the midst of an angry fury from Mother Nature. While we didn't land the pigs we did bring 16 nice 12-12.5 inch Crappies home with a nice mix of Walleyes as well.

full-46117-36453-003(800x643).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After a tremendous summer of fishing on Rainy lake, September only gets better. Huge slabs and Walleyes are making customers very happy!! Set down that remote team!! full-46117-36932-005(800x671).jpg

full-46117-36933-002(763x800).jpg

full-46117-36934-006(800x520).jpg

full-46117-36935-010(533x800).jpg

full-46117-36936-012(533x800).jpg

full-46117-36937-016(800x567).jpg

full-46117-36938-001(652x800).jpg

full-46117-36939-004(800x640).jpg

full-46117-36940-005(800x633).jpg

full-46117-36941-003(533x800).jpg

Hey Chris, heading up to easy end of Rainy tomorrow morning, looks like a jig and a minnow is still the ticket for the walleyes? With the big cold front moving through Thursday night, I've heard that actually improves the bite in the fall, what's your experience up there with that?

Hey Chris, heading up to easy end of Rainy tomorrow morning, looks like a jig and a minnow is still the ticket for the walleyes? With the big cold front moving through Thursday night, I've heard that actually improves the bite in the fall, what's your experience up there with that?
Your thinking is partially correct. Cooling waters trigger fish movement based on forage fish spawning cycles. A singular cold front is not something to get excited about however. The bite in certain areas of Rainy Lake will absolutely get better for those elite caliber fish we all seek as they further concentrate. This also means the fish are not nearly as widespread on structure as many summer visitors are used to finding. Many fisherman scratch their heads during the fall transition. When you find them you have a tremendous chance at a trophy!! Good luck "DooWap" Hope you "WAP" a Bruiser!!

September does NOT disappoint!! Gently set down the remote and pick up your sticks. Head Due North. Fishing has been fantastic. Big winds predicted today, so we'll be chasing big slabs.full-46117-37108-006(800x598)(2).jpg

full-46117-37109-003(800x553).jpg

full-46117-37110-010(649x800).jpg

full-46117-37113-011(533x800).jpg

full-46117-37114-012(800x606).jpg

full-46117-37115-016(800x533).jpg

full-46117-37116-018(800x533).jpg

full-46117-37118-021(800x533).jpg

full-46117-37119-002(800x533).jpg

• 7 months later...

Well team it's about that time!! A couple short weeks away from the Minnesota fishing opener and our team is shining up our boats. We've received a lot of inquiries in regards to potential ice out dates. IMHO we will have stubborn main basin ice as opening weekend rolls through. Anglers need to remember there is still great fishing that takes place when Rainy Lake is technically not considered to have experienced "ICE OUT". Look for shallow "DARK" water that has the ability to warm rapidly with mid-day sun. These areas are very attractive to big Walleyes and Pike!! full-46117-44965-015(800x535).jpg

With explosive east winds overnight, Ice has come off Tilson Creek in front of our home!! YEAH!!!! full-46117-45058-001(1280x853).jpg

Great to see you back on the forums Chris! I saw this weekend black bay was showing signs of ice out. Too bad the mill outage will keep me occupied for the next 19 days.

Thanks Bud. With our guide expansion this year we should be able to provide even more insight and fun reports/pics. Flow areas are eroding ice quickly, but we had a lot to get rid of:) What a winter!! My body is still in recovery mode from the winter guide season. Kelly and I are quickly trying to get our spring chores done as the season is coming up shortly. We pick up our new boat this next week!! Tight lines!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Nice pics....gotta admit...you have me chomping at the bit to get after some of those RL Slabs laugh

What'd you guys end up getting? I hear ya. I definitely got the use out of my portable shack I bout new this fall. Can't wait to start tossing baits shallow for some big toothy creatures.