• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

which size blade fuse?

slick2526

Question

Im rigging up a cigarette plug in for my boat. Going to mainly be running a minnow bucket aerator, and sometimes a 3 way adapter when I need to run the aerator and cell phone / 12 volt spotlight charger at the same time.

Not sure what size blade fuse I should run in my in line holder. What would you suggest?

5 answers to this question

are you talking physical size or amperage?

If it's the physical size, doesn't matter.

If it's amperage, add up what the current draw is for what you plan on having on the circuit and get a fuse that is rated for a bit above that.

Also, keep in mind if your wiring is rated for 10A it would probably start on fire before you blew a 20 amp fuse.

My cigarette lighter adaptors run 10A fuses.

talking amps. don't have any paperwork on the chargers/ aerator so I was hoping some one could give me a idea on what about my draw should be and what size fuse I should use.

What watt spot light,minnow air pump?The cell is only going to draw 500ma(.5 amps).The air pump probably 2 amps or less the spot light charger may be a bit more.It might be best if you separate the circuits and give them each their own fuse.Each of the items in question "should"have the amp draw and inputs on the items.(Sometimes you need a magnifying glass to read the small letters)Hope this helps.......c63

The spot light charger will probably draw the most. Probably not more then 5amps. Try that size fuse first, if it pops (charging the spot light) go to a 10amp. Don't go to big though, you want the fuse to blow before the equipment it's powering gets wrecked.

I went with a a 10 amp fuse. I did buy some extras just in case I need a bigger one