• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

crappies

Well I didn't make it up there as early as I wanted to, but everything works out for a reason. We made it up to Cookies early afternoon Monday and were on the water and fishing by 3. We headed out to a well known crappie area only to find there was a boat already there.(actually we almost ran into it! couldn't see it til the very last minute,dang camouflage!) So we moved on down to my next waypoints and it didn't take long. The thing I've learned in the past is that when you cant fish where or how you want you must adapt to be as efficient as possible. Turns out we worked the shoreline on down fishing every set of reeds that was visible. We caught fish almost everywhere! some areas better than others but we stumbled upon a new area that was holding many slabs!

We had many doubles and the fish were hitting literally any jig you had on. We ended the weekend with 63 total crappies. Most were the typical slab size but we also caught around 20 that were smaller 9-11" which is great to see! And should provide some very good fishing over the next few years. We kept only 5 crappies total releasing the rest to do their deed. All fish were still prespawn. We also caught many walleyes and pike along the way. Will try and post pics once I figure out how to resize. Thanks to Cookie for another great weekend and glad you and Kelly made it out last night to catch a few slabs.