• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lowrance maps

triggertrav

Question

morning all - i just recently purchased a new lowrance hds unit and i am trying to figure out what would be the best lake maps for the unit.

I typically fish central MN, with trips to LOW, Mille Lacs and Leech.

Any input would be appreciated.

thanks

5 answers to this question

The Lowrance 2012 (or 2013) Lake Insight Pro is a great chip. I have the 2012 (not sure what is different from the 2013) and it exactly the same as the 2010 LakeMaster chip I have EXCEPT, the Lowrance chip has LOW and Rainy on it.

The HD version of the chip has shaded relief which is useless IMO because it goes away when you zoom into any reasonable range.

I dont have a Navionics chip, but have the app on my phone. I would consider them as well, but so far the new Lowrance Chip and my old Lakemaster have met my needs and I fish the same areas as you.

Do you know if it is possible to download the maps off the Navionics app from my phone on to the lowrance unit?

Thanks for the input.

Hmm, that's a good question, but I do not believe so.

I do know that you can record a log of your sonar/gps and save that to an SD card, upload that to Navico's (Lowrance's parent company) website and they will build a map for you which can then be downloaded onto an SD Card. Pretty sweet for lakes that are not mapped well.

There is some EXTREMELY cool features available on the 2.0 SW update for Lowrance (Gen 2 and Touch models only).

You can do much of the same things with Navionics too uploading your logs then they are available as "community edits". The caveat there is they are available for everyone. Which is good and bad I guess depending how you look at it, if you want to keep details to yourself about a spot.

I have done some comparison and from what I have found Navionics has more HD lakes, if you go to the Navionics website there is feature called "WebApp" it allows you to preview the contours on lakes. Plus they have some other cool features such Freshest data which is frre updates for a year, Sonar Charts for more detail when you find the webapp click on the button on he lower left corner of the map

Hmm, that's a good question, but I do not believe so.

I do know that you can record a log of your sonar/gps and save that to an SD card, upload that to Navico's (Lowrance's parent company) website and they will build a map for you which can then be downloaded onto an SD Card. Pretty sweet for lakes that are not mapped well.

There is some EXTREMELY cool features available on the 2.0 SW update for Lowrance (Gen 2 and Touch models only).

You can do much of the same things with Navionics too uploading your logs then they are available as "community edits". The caveat there is they are available for everyone. Which is good and bad I guess depending how you look at it, if you want to keep details to yourself about a spot.

I haven't uploaded version 2.0 but I'd go with Navionics for sure with the changes Lowrance did. I was told through email that the insight has 3d with 2.o upload though.

When I go up the cabin next I'll load 2.0 and see what changes and how the 3d looks on my insight.