Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Troy Smutka

Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports by Great Day on the Water Guide Service

Troy Smutka

6/9/13

Walleyes are scattered and can be caught in many locations fishing many ways right now. Water temps. at about 55 degrees. We caught fish on mid-depth rocks on slip-bobbers, and on deep rock transitions and deep mud on live bait rigs this weekend. Rainbows outfished leeches about two-to-one. Caught plenty of fish in the slot, as well as big ones. Also starting to catch smallies, including a 21-incher this weekend. Fishing should get even better as water warms and fish start to concentrate. Contact me if you would like to get out on a weekday or weekend, and be sure to stop in at the Malmo Market and see Lynwood for the latest fishing reports and the best live bait on the lake. Be safe and courteous on the big pond, and I will see you out there somewhere.

Troy Smutka

6/16/13

Walleyes are biting well on the big pond. They are still transitioning to summer locations, and can be found in may places and caught with many techniques. My Dad, brother, and I spent Father's Day Saturday together targeting fish on the mud flats. Caught fish from 17.5 to 27 inches on the top and bottom edge of the same point. Caught fish equally on rainbows and leeches on live bait rigs with 8 foot snells. Warning--the insect hatch has begun in force. We were finally run off the lake by fish flies, small green knats, and larger black knats as well as ankle-biting flies. Try to fish a day with some wind (Saturday was flat calm) or wear a head net to keep from going crazy. Good luck, stay safe, and I will see you out there somewher.

Troy Smutka

6/24/13

Walleyes are biting on the deep gravel on the big pond. Don't listen to the doom and gloom stories about Mille Lacs--the walleyes are alive and biting. We caught dozens on the deep gravel on live bait rigs in the morning and power corking when the rig bite slowed in the afternoon. We caught several fish under the slot, from 12 to 17 inches, several 18.5 to 19.75 in the slot, and several over the slot up to 26 inches. Clients on a smallie trip even caught a 22 inch eye in 6 feet on a Power Tube and had a mid 20's eye follow a Power Craw up to the boat in 5 feet. Point is walleyes of all sizes are all over the lake and with water temps reaching 65 degrees they are going on the bite. Contact me if you want to get in on some great walleye action--you don't have to drive all the way to Leech or Vermillion. Check out my website for some fishing reports with photos of our eyes.

raiserlures

They are biting. i was out last weekend musky fishing and kept on catching them on suicks and glide baits. i then grabbed a walleye rod and threw plastics (jig and twister). the bites hot.

Troy Smutka

6/30/13

Caught over sixty walleyes on the deep gravel this weekend guiding and recreational fishing. Thirteen under the slot (14.5 to 17.75 inches), ten in the slot (18.5 to 19.875 inches), and the rest over the slot up to 26.5 inches. Caught fish rigging, power corking, and trolling cranks with leadcore. Great bite with fish of all sizes present. Don't miss out on it--contact me if you need some help. Eyes are alive and well in numbers and all sizes on Mille Lacs.

Wes Ellis

We had a great night last Thursday Night on a lunch. There was 8 of us. We cought over 80 fish.

8 in the slot,9 smaller, the rest over. With the biggest 28 & 1/2 inches.

She is still swimming!!

walleye29us

WOW! You guys are hammering them!

Troy Smutka

7/22/13

A mayfly and minnow hatch has slowed the bite somewhat on the big pond. The fish are still there, but are eating better these days so you have to change tactics a bit to trigger strikes from fish that are not necessarity biting much of the day. We boated dozens this past weekend while preparing for a tournament next weekend by trolling #4 and #5 Shad Raps, Jointed Shad Raps, and Flicker Shads behind leadcore. Fish are all over the deep gravel and mud, and many are out over the basin in "no man's land" away from any classic structure. Fish we caught were spitting up mayflies, bloodworms, small minnows, and even crayfish pieces. We boated five slot fish, and for the first time this year did not boat a fish under the slot. The fish over the slot looked a lot healthier than they did earlier in the season. They are eating better now, and are fattening up nicely. Caught a couple jumbo perch this way as well. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

Mo Gator

Great report! What tourney are you preparing for?

RIPN LIPS

I am guessing he is referring to "full trottle".

Troy Smutka

We are fishing the Full Throttle walleye tournament this Saturday.

FLAG!!

Did you guys find a decent number of fish? We caught way more prefishing on Friday same spots/tactics but only a handful during the tourney. We were pretty close with one JUST under 28", thought we had it..

Troy Smutka

Flag!!

We spent a fair amount of time heading out about five miles to the gravel in the big waves. We saw tons of fish on the sonar, but as the waves got bigger as the wind increased, speed control was tough. We didn't get any in the slot and quit a little early because my partner was getting queasy and the early bite was slowing. Took us a while to get back in as the waves had gotten really big, so didn't finish that early. Lovely time on the water between the cold, wind, and the off-and-on rain most of the morning! Not often I am fishing in my hunting clothes in late July! Talked to several people who didn't boat any fish--maybe hiding from the wind. Hope the weather is a little better for the August MTT on Mille Lacs. Will be pulling cranks behind lead core a few days the next couple weeks for a guiding trip and pre-fishing for the MTT.

FLAG!!

Yes that weather and subsequently, waves were outrageous.. try managing in a 16'6" single console Lund! I too spoke with several that got skunked on Saturday after really whacking them on Friday. Good luck in upcoming MTT and thanks always for your reports.

Troy Smutka

FLAG!!

The results from Saturday are posted on the Full Throttle website. Twenty-two boats in the walleye division--four boats weighed six walleyes for a total of just under 14 pounds! Twelve boats in the bass division--seven boats weighed some bass including some five-fish limits, but five of the boats came in empty. We are always at the mercy of the weather, aren't we? Back up there this weekend to get my kids out and to scout for a couple guiding trips on the big pond next week.

JohnMickish

I was one of the "zero" boats. Man that was just brutal. I've done some dumb stuff in my life but that probably ranks in the top 10 for going out in those waves. I could get to where I needed to go but boat and speed control was about non existent. I figured that was going to be my last competitive live weigh in tournament on that lake, at least until the slot limit rules come back into reality. So I guess that's just probably going to be my last tournament.

Troy Smutka

8/19/13

Walleye fishing is getting a little tough on Mille Lacs, lately. Basin fish are almost all larger fish, with few slots, and the bite out there has slowed the past week or so. There are smaller fish, still only a few slots, on the shallow rocks with crayfish and perch, but some wind helps with these. We fished a two-dayfull-29555-35893-dscn0199_078.jpg

full-29555-35894-dscn0202_079.jpg

tournament this past Friday and Saturday, and it was tough. We caught two 19 inch slots along with several just under pre-fishing the shallow rocks on Thursday, but could only manage a few fish up to 17 5/8 plus one 20 1/2 in the same spots on the tournament days. Also caught some smallies, including a 20.5 and a 36 inch pike (see above). Fishing was tough out in the basin as well. 37 out of 57 boats didn't weigh a fish either day, and no one brought in four (two fish weighed each day). A few boats trolled all day both days and didn't catch a single fish. Hopefully things will start to improve--good luck.

Troy Smutka

September has arrived. With it should come cooler temps, lower dew points and sun angle, and some great fishing and hunting opportunities. Fish should start to school up and feed heavily (if the air temps do cool so the water temps cool as well), and early goose hunting, small game hunting, and later duck hunting will be underway as well. Later in the month we should be able to enjoy these outdoor activities with brilliant fall colors as a backdrop. Get out and enjoy!

full-29555-36336-septembercover_082.jpg

Troy Smutka

Well guys, I will be signing off for fishing reports until the ice is thick enough. My boat has sold--I will be ordering a new one around the holidays--and duck hunting begins this weekend, so the rods are put away and the shotguns are out. Check for waterfowl hunting reports on the duck and goose hunting forum, and I will begin posting ice fishing reports here in December. Have a great fall.