• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tiller boats

herefish101

Does anyone make a tiller model that can seat four without going into the really big boats? I'd like a 17 foot tiller boat but I have a wife and two kids, if the boat only has three seats where is it legal for a fourth person to sit? The boating book is kind of vague on that subject.

I don't think it's illegal not to sit in a chair. If it is it's news to me. Alot of things should work for kids to sit on.

The way I have it figured is if your not in a chair you have to sit on the floor, you can only sit on the front casting deck if there are rails in place on both sides of the bow. Am I wrong? I don't know. This is confusing, I don't want a console boat with four seats as the wife and kids only come fishing with me a few times a year, now when my kids get older I'm sure they will come with more and more, but I really want a tiller! Agh!

I only have a drivers seat in my boat, never had any issues with MN or IA DNR. Guests sit on the rear casting deck or on my muskie box by the console....

look into the Crestliner Canadian or Lund Alaskan. I have the Canadian and love it for a tiller. 18' with a very open layout. There isn't much for storage but it's the ideal boat for 3 people casting or anchored with bobbers. I've fished me and 3 kids very comfortably and safe. They don't have the high gunnels like many of the deep V's do, but it works as long as the kids are big enough to not want to jump overboard

I have an Alumacraft Yukon 165 and never have been hassled by the DNR having a 4th person in the boat.

As long as you have the throwable life preserver... Forgot that one once.

Occupancy number is determined on the boats manufactured placard. It list number of people or weight as the determining factor.

I have a Lund Pro V 1775 and it has 4 seat bases. You can always add one. Just "can't" exceed the Coast Guard limits set for the boat.

I would just add a seat base. Im betting in most boats you would have more than enough room to double one. Especially if its kids. 4 adults would be tight, 2 adults 2 kids should work fine.

The Lund Stinger 1600 (1988 year model) I just bought used has four seat bases and fishes my wife and two kids easily - tiller steer. It took me a loooonnngggg time to find exactly what I wanted within my rather limited budget ($3500 or less) but I finally did and we're loving the boat.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I only have a drivers seat in my boat, never had any issues with MN or IA DNR. Guests sit on the rear casting deck or on my muskie box by the console....

So, the boat in your Avatar is your old boat? wink

Wasnt my boat Leech, and for the record it only had a drivers seat to... Buttseats dont count....Besides thats a tin boat after buying a glass one don't have alot of use for a tin boat....

I have a 1800 PROV AND LOVE IT!! It has a 80 4/stroke tiller on it.Handles good in the water and have had it on Mill lacs and Big Spirit lake Iowa with 4 foot rollers and 3 BIG people it was stunning!! It would be a fantastic choice./ GO Lund!!!!!!! 57

• 1 month later...

I have a 16' Northwoods (98) tiller model; it has 4 seats (including one next to motor). Sits 5 of us just fine; youngest sits on the side storage area, or we bring a small chair to sit on.

herefish101,

I recommend you look at a Alumacraft Classic tiller model. it is 16 ft 4 inches long, has a 82 inch beam width, 21 inch sides, max horse power of 60HP for the tiller model. has 4 seat bases on the floor in the main floor area and 1 seat base up on the bow casting deck. 17 gallon built in gas tank, 34 gallon live well.

Don't overwork this non-probem fellas. The boat will have a plate affixed that will tell you " X number persons/X weight in pounds" It does not matter how many seats you have-you could have none and all sit on the deck or have twelve seats and no room to fish. So long as each passenger has a PFD (required by law) and a comfortable place to put their butt you are fine. Keep in mind, there are balance configurations to consider-not all the Big Butts in the bow and not all the weight on one side or the other.

For people new to boats and boating there are a lot of very useful books out there.

Don't overwork this non-probem fellas. The boat will have a plate affixed that will tell you " X number persons/X weight in pounds" It does not matter how many seats you have-you could have none and all sit on the deck or have twelve seats and no room to fish. So long as each passenger has a PFD (required by law) and a comfortable place to put their butt you are fine. Keep in mind, there are balance configurations to consider-not all the Big Butts in the bow and not all the weight on one side or the other.

For people new to boats and boating there are a lot of very useful books out there.

I am not new to boating. I have fully understood the capacity tag in a boat since I was able to read. I swear I read in a regs book that it was unlawful for a person to sit on the front deck floor while the boat is moving at a speed faster than a troll, unless the boat has railings along the sides. Maybe they just scratched all that hoopla.

herefish101,

I recommend you look at a Alumacraft Classic tiller model. it is 16 ft 4 inches long, has a 82 inch beam width, 21 inch sides, max horse power of 60HP for the tiller model. has 4 seat bases on the floor in the main floor area and 1 seat base up on the bow casting deck. 17 gallon built in gas tank, 34 gallon live well.

Thanks, this is one of the front runners as of now.

CLICK HERE FOR BOATING REGS

From the end of Pg. 31 into Pg. 32:

It’s against the law:

To operate a watercraft in a careless or reck-less manner.

To operate a watercraft so its wash or wake endangers, harasses, or interferes with any

person or property.

To operate a watercraft so it obstructs ordinary navigation.

To operate a watercraft within an area legally marked off as a swimming area, or

within 150 feet of a diver’s warning flag (see page 43).

To ride or sit on the gunwales, bow, transom,or decking over the bow, sides or stern of any motorboat while underway, unless it is equipped with an adequate railing, or to operate a motorboat while any person is so riding or sitting.

To chase wildlife with a motorboat, or operate a boat where it is prohibited – including marked spawning beds. Avoid traversing any emergent or floating vegetation, if possible.

To intentionally obstruct a seaplane.

To attach a watercraft to any buoy, except a mooring buoy, or to tamper, remove, or destroy a navigational aid.

To deposit or leave refuse in or upon the waters of the state or at public access areas.

CAPACITY AND OVERLOADING

The boat’s operator must limit the total horsepower, weight AND maximum number of passengers to that shown on the capacity plate installed by the boat’s manufacturer. It is unlawful and dangerous to load or power your boat beyond its maximum capacity.

Appears your memory is fine Herefish. But I really doubt many enforcement people would object to someone sitting forward, on the bow deck. The real hazard there is obscured visibility for the operator. I have actually seen people blasting across a lake with someone sitting in the forward butt seat. I think the "bow" warning is also directed at NOT having someone actually sitting ON the bow, legs dangling. I saw that in front of our place over the 4th...boat moving right along and a young girl sitting on bow with legs dangling. Scared hell out of me just seeing it. Clearly they never gave a thought to what will happen when that little girl falls off and goes right under the boat and into the prop.

Thank you LEP7MM, I knew it was in there somewhere. I don't like to live in the grey, so I will find the right boat. Heck I looked at trucks for two years before replaced my old one. I will find the right boat, even if I have to redo the floor to make enough seating.

I have a Lund Pro Angler-16'6" with a 75 HP Yamaha. It is rated for 6 people or 900 pounds. I have had five adults and two younger kids in it and you would have never known it. It got up on plane without any issues and you would have never known it was maxed out (or maybe a little more).

Backtroller boats without a doubt. Take a look and give John a call. The layout of this boat is made for fisherman with a lot of thought put into what fisherman need and want. [Note from Admin: Please review forum policy before posting again. Thank You.]

dam! These Backtroller boats look awesome! And the prices are impossible to beat. This might be the direction I go for sure. Thanks for the info!

To ride or sit on the gunwales, bow, transom,or decking over the bow, sides or stern of any motorboat while underway, unless it is equipped with an adequate railing, or to operate a motorboat while any person is so riding or sitting.

Read this carefully.

This statement is referring to being on the outer edge of a boat or on a platform flush with the top of the boat, with no rail to hold on to. This does not mean you can't sit your butt down on a livewell, casting deck, transom deck or floor as long as you are within and below the highest points of the gunwales, bow or stern without having a rail.