• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cabin Generator

ClownColor

Question

Well, lucky enough the parents are retiring this summer and moving to the lake home. I'd feel way better if they had back-up power as there are times when the power can be out for days.

I'm not looking for state-of-the-art automatic generator that turns on when the power goes out but something simple that and older couple can use and isn't so complicated.

Can I by a large portable generator and tie it into the house? Should I just buy a poratable generator and they can feed the individual appliances as they see fit? Or should I but one that is permantly tied into the house?

Not looking for a brand war. It can be loud...just needs to be reliable. It won't be running all the time, maybe a few times a year.

A price on your option you suggest would be helpful also.

Thanks,

CC

9 answers to this question

The correct way is to have a switch that feeds the house from the generator or the powerline. Called a transfer switch. Here is an excerpt from a website.

Quote:
A manual transfer switch is installed beside the main electrical panel and connected to the circuits you'll want running during a blackout.

When the power goes out, you simply crank up the generator and run a single power cord from it to a transfer switch.

Once the generator is running, you can choose which circuits to energize by simply flipping the switches.

Amps

The best way to size a manual transfer switch is to size your power cord first. If you need a 30-amp cord, you need a 30-amp transfer switch.

Circuits

Think about it. The more powerful your generator; the more circuits you can power. Most 5,000 watt generators can restore power to six circuits. You should get a 10-circuit switch if you have a larger generator.

Most transfer switches come pre-wired with the circuit breakers already selected. If you have a unique installation, you should purchase a transfer switch with interchangeable breakers, so you can modify it exactly to your needs.

full-1100-33885-switch.jpg

This also prevents electrocuting the nice guy from the power company when they come to repair the line.

We were without power for 36 hours after a storm last summer. I used my Honda 2000 to run the freezer and refeer with no problem. I thinking I will get an electrican to put an outlet on an out side wall that will directly connect to an inside outlet so I can run the appliances. That outlet will only be hot when a generator is connected.

For reliability I would suggest one of the Honda Inverter series ... we use the 3000 kw version at our cabin. I got it because of known reliability, ease of use (smallest in the honda series with electric start) and recommendations from others. We use it to supplement our solar power system and run it once or twice a day to top off batteries. I put on a wireless remote start system so I can start/shut down from inside the cabin.

We didn't run it all winter long (Nov - May) and it started right up. Now about 6 years old and still runs as good as new. Highly recommended ...

You might want to size the generator by what stuff they would really want to run during an extended outage, if that is the concern.

Refrigerator, Freezer, Heat, Well Pump, Lights, (TV, satellite receiver) (stove and water heater if not gas).

Microwave, toaster, coffee maker are less important.

A Honda 2000 or 3000 might not be enough for desired items. If power is out for a week, that's a lot different than if it is out for a day. Winter different from summer.

We were without power for 36 hours after a storm last summer. I used my Honda 2000 to run the freezer and refeer with no problem. I thinking I will get an electrican to put an outlet on an out side wall that will directly connect to an inside outlet so I can run the appliances. That outlet will only be hot when a generator is connected.

I am not sure why you would require the extra step of changing the outlets while the generator was working. I agree that it would work but it seems to leave a few things to be desired. The panels that allow for a switchover aren't that expensive. I guess is depends on whether it is a basic seasonal cabin or something that may be used for extended periods in all types of weather.

I also don't know how well a generator would work if exposed to rain or snow. I have mine set up so that it can be run in the garage with the outlet for hooking it up also in the garage. Obviously the garage door would have to be kept at least part way open to avoid carbon monoxide.

Having a few more things than the appliances would really be helpful if the outage was for more than 12 hours. I would consider at a minimum the furnace, some lights, the sump pumps and a radio or TV as pretty essential. The radio/TV would be of value if the weather was bad so you could keep track of any warnings in your area. A land line telephone wouldn't need the power but if you have a cordless phone that needs power. If you rely on a cell phone it also would need to be kept charged.

Depending on the setup you may also want to have the water source powered up and maybe even the grinder pump in the septic was well.

A larger gen set & transfer switch is the most convenient set-up but also the most expensive. The transfer switch alone is around $3000 installed. It is installed at the meter and does not allow the generator to back-feed the line.

Another problem can be the water well. Many submersible well pumps are 240v and won't operate off a smaller generator. This should be investigated before you move ahead.

You need to determine what you need to run and figure out your electrical load. Generators are sized in watts and the size is max load. Can the folks pull start a generator or do you need an electric start?

You need to do some homework and then I suggest calling an electrical contractor.

Great info thus far. I know little of generators but fortunate to have 2 master electricians in the family.

I am thinking enough power for furnace, few lights, tv radio, fridge, and well if i can. I am thinking deep feezer as well but am i wrong into thinking those can go a few days since they are sealed and insulated well? Am i missing anything crucial? Cabin is more like a hone if that helps.

What would i need and cost?

A manual transfer switch is 3000 dollars installed? Holy carp. I f\igured the switch would be a few hundred. Labor can't be more than a few hours.

A manual transfer switch is 3000 dollars installed? Holy carp. I f\igured the switch would be a few hundred. Labor can't be more than a few hours.

Menards has a basic switch for $229. For $300 they have one that claims to be set up for one circuit and useful for smaller generators. Seems like a number of options exist.