• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cabela's AGM Batteries?

rainylakefisher

Question

Any firsthand experience with AGM dual purpose batteries from Cabela's? I need to replace my trolling motor batteries and one downfall of my 04 Alumacraft Navigator is the battery compartment is really only well-auited for one battery, but i have a 24V system. Two will fit, but the access hatch is only wide enough to get one in at a time thus requiring tipping them to install. I like the idea of the AGM technology in this situation, but the price tag is kind of steep. I'm willing to spend it if they work well especially given the tight confines I need to work within. Any experience with Cabela's batteries?

5 answers to this question

I have them in my boat and they have performed great. Kind of pricey up front but I would buy them again.

Great batteries. I have them in an 04 Navigator as well. The first set I had for 3 years before one of them died at which point I replaced them both. I am going on my 5th year with the new set without issue and the original that didn't die I still use on my river boat and it has been going strong for 8 years. What I really like is that you don't need to fill them, which is great in the Navigator because as you mentioned they are not easy to get in and out, and you can charge them in the fall and then just leave them over the winter without concern of freezing.

I have 5 and 6 years on both mine and still run very strong.

I can't say enough good things about them. I have an 06 Dominator, and used one set of them since new. I decided to replace them this year, not out of necessity, but just as a precaution. After taking out the old ones, they were still fully charged after sitting outside all winter in the boat.

For a trolling motor AGM hybrid batteries are a poor choice. AGM batteries don't need to be vented but that is not a problem with your open boat. They don't require adding water periodically but that is also not a big deal with a boat. AGM work better in temperatures below 20F degrees but that is only a plus for ice fishing.

A flooded lead acid type that is a true "deep cycle" battery is going to be half the cost and work better. This type of battery can be discharged by 80% without damage whereas with the AGM the maximum discharge should be 50% or less. FLAT batteries also handle partial recharge and then a discharge much better than an AGM battery so if the trolling motor is wired for recharging by the outboard's alternator this is also a reason to go with a FLAT deep cycle battery.

I use two AGM in a camper where they can be installed on their sides and where adding water is difficult and where one compartment is not vented. All reasons to go with the more expensive AGM batteries. It is dead wrong to assume that a more expensive battery is automatically a better battery for any given situation.