• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Red River at Grand Forks Report

Catfishing on the Red River at Grand Forks is starting to take off. For the most part everything is starting out slower due to unstable water conditions. As we come into the weekend the water condition should stabilize (barring major rain) making for some good fishing.

The best catfishing has been tight to structure but near some faster water or sharp drop offs. There has also been some fish caught off the main channel near the bank as well. As the water continues to warm the fishing on the faster side of the main channel will improve and become more consistent. Cut sucker has been the bait answer thus far. Goldeye has not worked for me yet. With the falling water expect some picking and light bites. As things stabilize these will turn to solid hits.

Capt. Brad Durick

Catfishing has just gotten better since last week. Good numbers of bigger catfish are showing up along the fast water seams and in structure. Some of the best depths to look at are 20-27 feet off the drop off. River conditions have been fairly stable and the pre spawn period is in full swing with fish hitting hard when they hit. Sucker has been the bait (but I have not bothered to try anything else) Stay on the move sitting no more than 20 minutes in one spot with no bite. Try different structures and current speeds to increase success.

Catfishing around Grand Forks this past week has been very challenging. Fair numbers of fish but lacking in the big fish department. Lots and lots of picking and tugging with not much to show. Had to get deep into the lumber and sit a little longer than normal to get the big ones out. As the week went on they finally started to move off the structure and feed on the fast water edges like they should be this time of year.

As of yesterday (Thursday) the catfish can be caught about anywhere you want to fish for them. The bigger fish are still coming near structure but are also starting to move in the fast water. Sucker and Goldeye are working for bait, I would still give the nod to suckers.

The river is in near perfect condition right now and water temps say spawn is just around the corner.

Any signs of spawning activity at this point? I'd think it should be coming soon, particularly if the water keeps heading the direction it is...

How's the ramp on the North Dakota side looking. what about the Minnesota ramp by Cabela's. Which one would be better to launch from on this coming Monday when I get up there. Don't want to put to much pressure on the section we plan to fish on Tuesday. I'll give you a call when I get into Grand Forks on Monday morning.

How's the ramp on the North Dakota side looking. what about the Minnesota ramp by Cabela's. Which one would be better to launch from on this coming Monday when I get up there. Don't want to put to much pressure on the section we plan to fish on Tuesday. I'll give you a call when I get into Grand Forks on Monday morning.

Not seeing any spawn activity yet but it should be going on.

Brad B, All GF ramps are in good shape and water levels make for good running anywhere right now.

Pulled rig up to Drayton on Saturday at 7:00a to launch at dam ramp north of town. Surprise!...all mud! shocked All bait shops in town closed and doors locked. New to this so that was a bummer. Hey, but bar was open! Ha! Talked to a few folks and got tips to try Joliette ramp...otherwise only other option was ramp in town upstream or dam. Drove to Joliette...all mud! frown

Back to Drayton city ramp. Put in and headed upstream to start with and had so-so luck early and the bite tapered off as we headed south. Fish nibbling but not taking. Those we caught were on the small to medium side. Used both sucker and goldeye. We worked back to dam area and bite picked up a little bit. Still a lot of nibblers but ended up with a dozen fish or so when we pulled out around 5:00p - largest cat was about 10 lbs. All in all fun day but much tougher bite than last two trips in previous years. Water temps were 74 deg so spawn was probably in full swing. Learned lesson to call ahead and get info on ramps before heading up there that's for sure. smirk

Catfishing has picked up substantially over the past few days. The water is on the rise from heavy rains upstream last week and the fish are reacting very positive. Yesterday I saw a few post spawn fish so that is coming along nicely and is also playing into the uptick in action.

Fish were caught on the fast water edges or in a dugout near structure. Goldeye and sucker was the baits but I must say goldeye was the best for me.

As the water rises this week they will eventually move up the bank or to the secondary current seams. With water rising there will be a bunch of debris coming down so be extra careful when boating and fishing. Grand Forks ramps are open and clear. East Grand Forks is open few more days.

Does anyone boat/fish the Red when it's 15 feet over flood stage?

Or just from shore?

I will fish the GF a bit over flood stage from a boat. The biggest thing is debris moves fast at those levels and they close boat ramps.

• 2 weeks later...

Awfully quiet on here... The spawn is over, I presume? How's fishing?

We were shut down for about 10 days due to some minor flooding. Ramps in Grand Forks opened up on Monday. The last time I was out before we shut down I was seeing post spawn fish and they were hitting hard.

the water stayed warm and with some fresh water around I suspect spawn is about done. bite might be poor for a few days as they hate rapid falling water (10 feet in 3 days) I am heading out tonight to have a look.

Hey, Proguide, what is your advice re: a later August trip? A few of us try to get over there once a summer, and we fish from shore. Any tips for the Grand Forks area that time of year? I know some spots already where we've done real well in July (just after spawn)...will these same areas hold fish in late August? Should we move away from cut-bait and hook on a frog then? Thanks for any advice (looking to go August 23-25).

Hey, Proguide, what is your advice re: a later August trip? A few of us try to get over there once a summer, and we fish from shore. Any tips for the Grand Forks area that time of year? I know some spots already where we've done real well in July (just after spawn)...will these same areas hold fish in late August? Should we move away from cut-bait and hook on a frog then? Thanks for any advice (looking to go August 23-25).

The spawn is over from what I see. July to August I see most fishing around Grand Forks as resident fish so I tend to move a lot and rotate my spots. I realize from shore that is more difficult. As far as bait I would not abandon cut baits but I would have some frog with. Based on what the water levels have done this year I would consider hitting Drayton about that time of year. I has barely been touched by anglers this year and if the levels stay a bit higher could have a killer bite around that time.

Report for July 11, 2013

The spawn is over, river is down, and the catfish are hungry! Catfishing is really quite good after things opened up from the recent high water event. Some are still a little shocked from the quick drop in water levels but the ones that are feeding are leaving no room for guess work. Fish are hanging out in structure near fast water or holes. They still need a little time to find the bait so give them an honest 20 minutes before moving. Goldeye is the bait of choice but suckers will work as well. As the water levels remain stable going into the weekend I suspect the fishing will continue to get even better.

The spawn is over from what I see. July to August I see most fishing around Grand Forks as resident fish so I tend to move a lot and rotate my spots. I realize from shore that is more difficult. As far as bait I would not abandon cut baits but I would have some frog with. Based on what the water levels have done this year I would consider hitting Drayton about that time of year. I has barely been touched by anglers this year and if the levels stay a bit higher could have a killer bite around that time.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice!

Fishing around Grand Forks is the best it has been all year. Good numbers of big fish coming in. They seem to be liking goldeye but sucker is working. They are running in the fast water or holding in structure near fast water.

7-17-13

Catfishing on the Red remains good this week. Still seeing good numbers of larger fish being caught and they are hitting hard. The best locations have been right in the middle of the river near or near drop offs or some other structure. Both sucker and goldeye are working for bait. There really is not one any better than the other. Continue to stay on the move hitting all kinds of spots until you find them.

River conditions are about perfect again. All Grand Forks ramps are open so be sure to take advantage.

7-25-13

Catfishing remains good this week with many big fish being caught. It does seem the bite is a bit more spotty than the past couple weeks but stay on the move and you will find them. Fish have been running the current seams in fast water, usually near some sort of structure. Based on current conditions the depths have been 12-16 feet. Sucker and goldeye continue to be the bait of choice with sucker getting the nod for the better of the two. Frogs have not been around much so it is just not a bait of choice for us yet at this point in the year.

River and ramp conditions are about perfect in the Grand Forks area right now and the fishing is good.

That cool blast of weather last week has slowed the catfishing down a little but there are still great catfish to be caught. They have been holding tight to structure in or just off current areas. Depth does not seem to matter with the lack of nearby current being the key. Vary wait times on spots some but still stay on the move searching out active fish. All baits are working right now with frogs taking the lead as bait of choice. I would say goldeye is a close second.

Note: RR Valley Catfish Club announced a "North Only" tournament Sunday August 18. First 50 boats 100 per team. This is the day after King Kat.

Thanks to the resent cool days and cooler nights the catfishing remains challenging this week. There are some great fish out there to be caught but you really have to work for them. The fish are holding off current near structure for the most part in depths of three to six feet being the best. The key seems to be finding an area of good current that is near an area of virtually no current and work the slack water. With the negativity spots need at least 20 minutes but 30 might be better. Bait preferences are changing with the day so make sure to have it all with to ensure you have what the fish want at the time. Bottom line is keep throwing bait, sit on spots a little longer than normal and be willing to try some things out of the norm.

Thanks for all the updates, Proguide. We'll be in Grand Forks August 23-25. Any general tips for that time of year (from shore)? Thanks!

Thanks for all the updates, Proguide. We'll be in Grand Forks August 23-25. Any general tips for that time of year (from shore)? Thanks!

I got nothing for you right now. The report I just posted is normally the report I would be posting late August or September. If we can get some heat the fish will move back to aggressive feeding in the channel rather than hanging out off current.

Best thing I can say at this point is keep watching reports until we get closer to your trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Catfishing this week is really improving with the heat. They are moving into high gear feeding and hitting hard. The best places to find them is deeper holes, runs or under deep submerged wood. They are holding tight in the high sun so you still have to give them some time to grab the bait. I think a night bite will be rocking if it already isn’t.

Bait of choice has been sucker for frog. We still have lots of good catfishing ahead of us so get out and take advantage of this good bite and big fish before fall is upon us.

• 2 weeks later...

Catfishing right now is the best of the year! Lots of fish and big fish are being caught. It is basically anglers choice out there right now in terms of locations and baits. The best fishing over the past few days has been troughs in the middle of the channel or snags with visible current near them. The fish also seem to be feeding a little shallower than one would think during heat like this. The night bite is also very good. Best bait has been sucker and goldeye but don't forget the frogs. Stay on the move to look for active fish and test all the patterns to see what is working best on a particular day.

Also if you are going north of Grand Forks or Drayton be cautious of lower water levels. There are some hazards starting to show up that can cause damage. Stay safe and have fun.

Hey Brad - I was planning on a trip to Drayton this Sunday with my 18' Lund Alaskan and three boys. Can I get a boat in? Should I be worried about hazards at the dam landing and north??? We're coming from a couple hours away and definitly don't want to go all that way only to find unfishable water. Can a guy put in safely at the dam and just work the river north slowly and cautiously like you say and be alright you think?

Hey Brad - I was planning on a trip to Drayton this Sunday with my 18' Lund Alaskan and three boys. Can I get a boat in? Should I be worried about hazards at the dam landing and north??? We're coming from a couple hours away and definitly don't want to go all that way only to find unfishable water. Can a guy put in safely at the dam and just work the river north slowly and cautiously like you say and be alright you think?

I was up there on Tuesday and from what I saw you should be ok. There is a couple spots that got to 3' and getting to the dam looks a little hairy. I don't think you will have any problems.