• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Getting a snagged jig back

I have tried many different ways to get a snagged jig back but we just had a new one. My wife's jig got snagged up and she couldn't get it out so I get the pole. It was stuck good so I just straighten out the rod and break the line. About 15 minutes later I catch a 16" walleye and there deep in it's throat is my wife's jig and minnow. That fish picked that jig and minnow out of that snag for me laugh

Not sure that one works every time? grin

Here's one I use while river fishing a lot. When you're hopelessly snagged up, lift the rod tip high up and add as much tension to the line as possible without breaking anything. With the bail open, and your finger holding the line under high tension, let the line go suddenly, snapping the line back in the direction of the snagged bait. If this doesn't work the first time, try it several times from a couple different angles wherever possible. Remember, it HAS to be done with as high tension as you can muster without breaking the line, or rod.

It's surprising how often this works. The jig/bait will often just get dislodged by the snap back of the high tension line. I've saved hundreds of hooks doing this over the years.

If this doesn't work after several attempts, just break it off, then proceed to catch every fish in the vicinity of the break off. Odds are you'll find your lost bait in the gullet of a local fish. smile

I once snagged a crank bait on a rock only to have a smallie come pick it up before I broke the line. Now that was luck!

I have tried many different ways to get a snagged jig back but we just had a new one. My wife's jig got snagged up and she couldn't get it out so I get the pole. It was stuck good so I just straighten out the rod and break the line. About 15 minutes later I catch a 16" walleye and there deep in it's throat is my wife's jig and minnow. That fish picked that jig and minnow out of that snag for me laugh

So do you keep him alive and take him with you incase you need to send him down for future snags? grin

I rewarded that nice fish with a 350 degree sauna of canola oil with a little egg and shorelunch coat on him. I didn't trust that fish to get every jig out of my snags.

Here's one I use while river fishing a lot. When you're hopelessly snagged up, lift the rod tip high up and add as much tension to the line as possible without breaking anything. With the bail open, and your finger holding the line under high tension, let the line go suddenly, snapping the line back in the direction of the snagged bait. If this doesn't work the first time, try it several times from a couple different angles wherever possible. Remember, it HAS to be done with as high tension as you can muster without breaking the line, or rod.

It's surprising how often this works. The jig/bait will often just get dislodged by the snap back of the high tension line. I've saved hundreds of hooks doing this over the years.

If this doesn't work after several attempts, just break it off, then proceed to catch every fish in the vicinity of the break off. Odds are you'll find your lost bait in the gullet of a local fish. smile

I've used this technique when snagged on a rock fishing muskies. It works.

I rewarded that nice fish with a 350 degree sauna of canola oil with a little egg and shorelunch coat on him. I didn't trust that fish to get every jig out of my snags.

Yeah, who can trust a fish anyway?

Here's another de-snagging tip. Some will like it, others won't, but it works:

When the line popping technique doesn't get the job done and you can't physically get to the snag and push it off with your rod tip, it's time to get serious. And have faith. This can be used in water deeper than you can't just poke down to or snag too far out reach.

Let some extra line out and re-engage the real - make sure the drag is snug and the brakes are on. You'll need about same amount of line as the distance to the snag.

Take the line between the fist eye and the reel in your hands and let the rod go. The rod will slide down the line to the lure as you hand over hand it, and stop when the rod tip rests on the eye of the lure. If this alone doesn't pop it out, pull up on the line leading to the reel to raise the rod and let it drop freely back the lure. Sometimes it takes a few knocks but it bumps it off the snag 90% of the time.

I've done this many times and with expensive rigs and have yet to have a problem. BUT I'm always prepared in my mind to jump in if I things ever go bad!

I've been asked why I'm not worried if an expensive reel gets submerged - I say, "You fish with em in the rain, dontchya?"

• 2 weeks later...

Heres one for you. U ever go fishing with the guy who always seems to never bring anything or always needs to borrow one of your lures?? Who hasnt. Anyways, my buddy was that guy one day while we were bass fishing from shore. They were hitting good on crankbaits and my buddy had just snagged and lost his last one. So of course i let him borrow one, and of course on his next cast, snagged, and he breaks it off. So me being a good friend i let him use another one of mine. Believe it or not, on his next cast, in the same place, he snagged my first lure he lost off the snag! Neither of us could beleive it and we called it a day after that lucky cast.

I'm no pro but Snapping works for me most of the time,if that doesn't work I let a bunch of the line out and wait a couple of minutes and the current might take it out.li

Not sure that one works every time? grin

I once snagged an entire log on my heavy pike gear with 30 pound braid. When all else failed, I pulled the log in by hand and wadded out to it. Lifting the log out of water, it seemed to be about 200 pounds. I had total confidence in my gear since then.

Here's another one for you. I was fishing the same spot this past week and got clipped twice by northerns one morning. The next day I catch a 22" northern and I keep it for pickling or a fish fry if walleyes don't cooperate. I clean the fish and feel something hard in the stomach. There was one of my jigs from the day before.

I fish flatheads on pool 2. I lose a lot of hooks in the wood. Last summer, at the end of a long night, I caught a 20 pounder. I lift it out of the net to remove the hook. It had 3 hooks in its mouth in addition to the one attached to my line. All the hooks were the same 8/0 octopus hooks that I was using with the same green braided line. The SOB was down there picking off all the bullheads tethered to the wood from me getting tangled up and breaking off. Now if I could just get back my 3 oz sinkers I'd be set.