• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior May 27, 2013

Shane and his buddy Nick got out with me this morning before the waves got too big. Hit the Ws. side and found a pocket of warm water. We ended up going something like 8 for 13 with 1 King and 7 Coho's. They were hitting smelt pattern and the Chevy's the most. Could have had a really awesome day but the wind ended up making us quit earlier then what we would have liked. There is just something about waves coming over the bow that just takes out all of the fun. All on top in 20 to 40' of water. Trolling speed was all over the place due to the wind. Nick and his King:

full-4091-33528-nick.jpg

thanks, for the report cant wait to get back up.

How big are the cohos running?

I have not measured any but my guess is around 14 to 17". Next time out I will put a few to the ruler. They seem a little on the small side for this time of the year. One we caught had a nice smelt in its mouth when it hit the plug so they should be putting on the pounds quick.

Thanks for taking us out in the boat Jim! It was awesome to meet you and learn more about fishing the big lake, and catching my first king salmon! Can't wait to get out there again!

The weather has been a real bugger this year. dam wind and cold! Sounds like a pretty good trip though. I'll be out there soon. Just putting the finishing touches on the new Superior rig. Nice to hear there are some fishies finding their way into the boat.

Thanks for the report!

Any one get out today? We may try Sunday morning if the winds allow. Frustrating weather pattern. Weekends have not worked. I may have to tow the boat to work on one of those flat week days and try to poke out on the pond for a late, short afternoon troll.