• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bear sighting ??.....................

Someone tried telling me there's been a bear sighting by Hector and another one last night in Big Kandi Park # 1. Anyone heard anything about this ?

I was out for a drive and saw a slew of vehicles taking pictures of something in the woods. We weren't too interested so we kept going. We met a couple of deputies on the road. Also we might of met the game warden also but we weren't sure.

I wouldn't rule it out. There was an alleged bear sighting at Mayo park in Le Sueur. I saw a pic of the typical bigfoot pic quality but I honestly think there is a bear in the area. The person who spotted it also took some video which I haven't seen yet.

There have been bears around Le Sueur and the rest of the valley for quite some time now but they usually don't stick around too long though. About five years ago there were two smaller bears west of Henderson that stuck around for over a month. I got to see a video with both of them attacking bird feeders.

story from Willmar paper: www.wctrib.com

Black bear pays a visit to area south of Big Kandi Lake

BIG KANDIYOHI -- There's always a chance of spotting deer and other wildlife while driving along the wildlife management area south of Big Kandiyohi County Lake, but Penny Mulder of Willmar scored a first for It was a large, black bear she watched run across a field of corn stubble about 7:45 p.m. on Sunday.

"You could see it plain as day,'' said Mulder.

Darla Jean Brede did, up close and personal. She was in her home just south of the Northern Lights Beach when her Dalmatian dog began barking, just like she does when there are animals in the yard.

Brede said she went outside hoping it wasn't a skunk. She looked up the tree where her dog was barking and straight at the back end of the darkest-colored bear she ever saw.

"The shock that goes through you is kind of...I'm not going to tell you what I said,'' said Brede, laughing.

The bear did not seem aggressive, but it was large. Brede brought her dog into the house, and watched the bear come down from the tree. She also watched it stand up on its hind legs to check out her bird feeder. It casually walked behind the barn.

She never saw it after.

She has seen bears in northern Minnesota, but never this close to home. Her parents have lived at the site for 61 years, and have never had a bear visit.

Minnesota Conservation Officer Jeff Denz of Willmar was among those who responded to calls about the bear. He logged it in as his first siting of a bear in Kandiyohi County too.

There had been reports of a bear in the area in recent days. Denz said he had received a report previously of a siting near Long Lake north of Willmar. And two days earlier, there had been a report of a bear spotted near Hector.

Whether the reports are the same bear or not is impossible to know, but certainly possible. He said it is likely the bear is just moving through the area.

There have been no reports of the bear causing any problems.

Mulder said she watched the bear make its way into a small grove of trees on a farm a couple miles south of the lake. She learned from the farm owner that the bear stayed around the grove until around 10 p.m. before taking off towards the east.

It's hard to say what brought the bear around the area, said Denz. He believes it will likely continue to roam until it finds habitat more to its liking

This black bear made a surprise visit to the area south of the Northern Lights Beach on the south shore of Big Kandiyohi Lake on Sunday evening. It was spotted in a farm field, a farm grove, and by one resident, in a tree in her yard where her dog was barking at it. Submitted photo

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.