• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tagged fish

I know for sturgeons there a site were you can enter the tag number and they will send you a report on the fish, cant find it right now of course. Question is there one for walleyes we got a tagged one yesterday. Just wondering what to do with it not the tag as we are keeping it but does the dnr want to know anything about the number.

Did you keep the fish too? Please tell me you didn't cut the tag off the fish and released it?

There is a path on the MNDNR website for reporting all tagged fish, i just need a few minutes to find it.

Did you keep the fish too? Please tell me you didn't cut the tag off the fish and released it?

There is a path on the MNDNR website for reporting all tagged fish, i just need a few minutes to find it.

I better clear this up. The fish was a very healthy 18.5 male which is going to into the frying pan. Thanks for the Help

I caught 4 tagged fish last weekend. I called the DNR Baudette office to find out how to enter the tag numbers and info. I was informed that there is not a website to enter that info anymore and you have to do it over the phone. The information will then be Emailed or mailed to you in approx. 2 weeks depending on how busy the DNR is at the time.

If you do catch a tagged fish they will require the day, the general area the fish was caught, the length of the fish, and whether you kept or released the fish.

A website would be waaaaaayyyyy easier and also would probably give you immediate information on that fish.

Sorry didn’t mean to imply you cut the tag off.  I think it just happens quite a bit that people want to keep the tag for their collection and I know the DNR guys get frustrated by that.   Not sure why the Baudette office informed you that you have to call, the link I posted is a very simple way to do it and I’ve used it quite a bit in the past year, especially for tagged sturgeon

Thanks for the link just tried to enter it and it was saying not the right tag number or something tried calling no answer.

Thanks Darren! gonna use that link now. Not sure why the gal at the office said they no longer use the online input, but glad to see they didn't get rid of it!

MN-DNR has a bunch of tagged sturgeon swimming around, but we haven't tagged any walleye since about 1982. The Department of Fisheries and Oceans (kind of a Canadian version of the Fish and Wildlife Service) tagged a bunch of walleye in the Rainy River, downstream of International Falls, as part of a study to determine the effects of the Rainy Lake rule curve on the Rainy River.

The DNR tag reporting page doesn't recognize the Canadian tags as valid numbers, so those get rejected. You can call in tagged walleye to either the International Falls (218-286-5220) or Baudette (218-634-2522) Fisheries offices, and your information will get forwarded to the correct person.

I'm not sure how the message was conveyed regarding the tag reporting web site, but rest assured that it is still active, and very useful.