Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
MinDak Hunter

Spring sturgeon questions.

MinDak Hunter

I don't want to come off as sacrilegious but I'd rather fish for big sturgeon than walleyes this year.

If you only had 3-4 days to fish this year and knowing what you know now (weather, water temps...) what days would you shoot for to schedule a trip? I see that the water temps are still in the low 30's at Manitou Rapids, what temps should I be looking for? I've tried sturgeon fishing a couple times but we've only hooked up with a couple fish so I'm just looking for some advise.

I've looked back on many of the pages and tried to research this but thought I'd throw it out there to the forum too.

gixxer01

The few times I've been up, it seems the sturgeon coincide perfectly with the walleye. From what I can tell, that 40-45* mark is where its at. It also appears that the sturgeon window lasts longer, so if you could find a time where flows are manageable and debris is limited, that'd be the time to go. Although, I doubt they are concerned with low water clarity.

JacobG

Under the species forums, sturgeon, there is some great advice. Another fellow angler and forum user asked a similar question. Darren, Dtro, and myself offered some good info. Even I learned a thing or two and ive been doing this for 13 years now.

With concerns of the water temps, the best fishing, bar none, is right now. soon as you can get a boat in the water and are able to fish the most likely areas, your good.

Ill be up this wed thru sat. cant wait!

bassbuster1

In my opinion ,when four mile bay opens up the sturgeon head into the river ,in droves.There are fish that stay in the river all year long,Once the sturgy leave low they are headed up stream to the Littlefork river for spawning obviously not all the fish spawn in the Littlefork,but this is where the Dnr net most of the fish for study.With that being said , I would plan a trip (this year) around the last week in April 1st week in May.The river should have fish all up and down the river giving you lots of options of where to access the river .One place that is overlooked is the dam it can hold a lot of fish and some big ones too.

Bb1

DTro

The best bite always happens a few days before you see pictures and reports posted here. smile

Honestly there is never a bad time to Sturgeon fish on the river.

I've talked to a few guys that hit it hard, and they like to follow the open water as it moves out to the lake.

The worst bite I've had up there was 2010 (I think) when the water was super high and muddy and you needed 15oz to stay down. The ONLY place we could find fish was quite a ways out into the bay hugging the Canadian line. Timing means a lot in the spring and I would suggest avoiding the rush of water from the forks. Before or after, doesn't really matter, but if the rush happens during your trip you might have a tough go of it.

MinDak Hunter

Thanks for the advice, I'm hoping to make at least one trip up in the near future.

Random guy

The worst bite I've had up there was 2010 (I think) when the water was super high and muddy and you needed 15oz to stay down.

Those were sad times indeed. Double anchors to hold the boat and downrigger balls with releases to hold the bait down.

CANOPY SAM

I've often wondered if the lake sturgeon coincide their run up river along with the walleyes because of the abundance of eggs/food available, as the walleyes are spawning?

Don't get me wrong here. Not bashing sturgeon. They've coexisted for thousands of years and done just fine. I would think though that there are literally bajillions of walleye eggs drifting into the deep holes of the river at this time of year, and the hungry sturgeon are enjoying the bounty.