• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice out date?

Benfishin

Hm, maybe we could get North Korea or Iran to drop a mini-nuke right on 8 Mile? That'd let Lil' Kim et. al. flex their muscles, and it'd help with the ice and maybe even get another "Tullibee Hole" out there. smile

Wait, did I just complain about other people hijacking a thread? crazy

Ok, back to ice out. My prediction: Ummm....No idea. Depends on the weather. smile

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stick in Mud

• Red Miller

• Biggerfish

• JP Z

Hm, maybe we could get North Korea or Iran to drop a mini-nuke right on 8 Mile? That'd let Lil' Kim et. al. flex their muscles, and it'd help with the ice and maybe even get another "Tullibee Hole" out there. smile

Wait, did I just complain about other people hijacking a thread? crazy

Ok, back to ice out. My prediction: Ummm....No idea. Depends on the weather. smile

Not a bad idea but the Tullibee would probably have 27 fins and look more like sea tortoises. You had better have a come 'a long with some 1200 lb cable to winch those bad boys in!

Not 100% on this report I'm posting but putting it out there. Speculation from a tribe friend says there may not be a netting season this year. Late ice out. And nets and angling opener don't work too well. I'm tribe as well. So be it. That's fine. IMHO. I'll angle within my harvest allotment and enjoy the lake regardless. If a netting season happens it will be confined to a couple days if at all I think. Lots of passion on this topic like always. Nice to see some level heads here.

People still using their auger extensions up there or is there a real chance of open water in 8 days 13 hours and 45 minutes (not that I'm counting or anything)?

Driving down 169 From Brainerd to Princeton my dad pointed out that the ice is about a foot off shore right now. With maybe 50 feet off if you are by where a creek comes in......it's going to be a photo finish. But on that note I don't think I'd be planning a Mille Lacs trip for opener.

Drove by the lake yesterday. Ice is melting fast. Where the creeks run into the lake there is a lot of open water. Don't know if it will be open by the 11th but I guess it's possible?

Tackle Terry on Fan Outdoors insisted Mille Lacs would be open by May 11th.... I hope he's right!

The only way that bugger is open on the 11th is if several thousand folks show up for a Louisiana Fishing Party on the 10th.

(booom)

Even many of the smaller lakes in the Mille Lacs area will be hard pressed to be ice free by the weekend. As of today, lakes like Farm Island, Borden, Big Pine/Little Pine, Hickory and so on are all iced in from shore to shore. Mille Lacs normally is a week or more behind those lakes. This year normal might not be how things go. But surely Mille Lacs will be iced in most areas this coming weekend. Unless gale force winds blow for a couple days running.

Maybe....probably depends on the wind. It's possible that you'll have a quarter or half mile of open water on whichever side of the lake is upwind.

I think they are forecasting 15 to 20 gusting to 25 out of the NW on Saturday at this point. Better bring the SnoCat if you are planning on fishing Isle. laugh

Looks like the big sheet is actually starting to move a bit, at least up on the north end. It's kind of fun to speed up the webcam and watch it wiggle around....about as much fun as watching ice melt. smile

I like all the time lapse options now. It is interesting how it shifts back and forth. At least its starting to break up, should be interesting tomorrow and Saturday with the strong wind.

it will be very interesting watching those time lapse videos on Saturday with the wind forecast! Unfortunately not much of the lake will be open by then, but it will be entertaining to watch.

The wind forecast is for gusts of up to 30 today coming out of the east/northeast. I don't think there's enough open water to get stuff moving quite yet, but I'll be watching the webcams regardless. smile

Just saw the forecast for Saturday, now they are talking gusting to 40.

Conditions could be lining up to see some ice piling up on the shore on saturday if we get that kind of wind.

Just drive by Mille lacs. Looks like the ice conditions havnt changed since Sunday. Farm island lake is still 95% ice covered. Little pine about 80%. Hickory lake 50%

Someone got a couple gill nets out right by Terry's

MAY 10TH AND SHE IS STILL MAKING ICE!

Take a look at the camera....I do see new ice has formed on the open water?

Strange year.

You can see some big sections of open water in Isle Bay, and there are a few hundred yards of open water up by Malmo. Should be some fun bumper boat action up there. smile

You can see some big sections of open water in Isle Bay, and there are a few hundred yards of open water up by Malmo. Should be some fun bumper boat action up there. smile

30 mph. nw winds will change all of that one could assume.