• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2013 River Conditions for Spring Fishing!

April 2nd, 2013:

The Birchdale Landing was being cleaned out with equipment this morning and should be ready for big boats later today or tomorrow morning. Frontier Landing still has some shore ice and they are pushing boats in. When we arrived at Frontier there was a 17 foot Almuacraft that had been pushed across the ice. The River is open 4 miles West of Frontier it is getting very close to the white church on the Canadian side.

Birchdale Landing:

full-40547-31694-april2nd(3).jpg

Froniter Landing:

full-40547-31695-april2nd(1).jpg

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RoyalDutchman

• goose89

• meathunter

• elusivecrappiecatcher

Thanks for the update!!!! Anybody have a fishing report? Are the forks going to be an issue in the near future with the warm weather?? Thanks!

T minus 7 days till the forks go almost always 5 to 7 days from first boats over ice until big boats at birchdale then 7 days till the flood especially this year with all the snow. Correct me if im wrong. Was up in Feb on the lake and there is LOTS of snow!

T minus 7 days till the forks go almost always 5 to 7 days from first boats over ice until big boats at birchdale then 7 days till the flood especially this year with all the snow. Correct me if im wrong. Was up in Feb on the lake and there is LOTS of snow!

Is this accurate? Is weekend of the 13th a bad bet?

Nope, there is no magic # as to when the forks let loose. Has to do with temp and the melt. Lots of scientists on here though that seem to have it nailed down to almost the exact hour and minute each spring.

Let me rephrase. Is the the weekend of the 6th a significantly better bet than the weekend of the 13th?

I disagree with meathunter! Im not saying some years cant be like that but this year is not one of them. I would say you have more like a 10-14 day window after open water hits the Birchdale/Frontier area on average. Now obvisously its different every year but with forecast pretty mild this week theres not gonna be a tremendous amount of run off this week. The lows this week have been single digits and low teens and highs in the mid 30s, thats not going to get the forks busting loose anytime soon. I'm going up next Tuesday staying til Sunday at the Wig Wam. $28.50 per person per night for a cabin is pretty cheap! I perdict next week we are going to hit the timing perfect and we are gonna hammer some walleyes!!!!! Just my opinion

No scientist here just from past springs if you have ever been up there when it turns to chocolate you would be trying to time it like myself. Maybe I am wrong but To answer your question the weekend of the 6th is probably safer however the later it gets the warmer the temps and the chance for 100 fish days increase. I have driven up and met rigs giving me the thumbs down you might as well turn around. In general you got about 7 days from big boats at birchdale 6 hrs is too far to gamble might as well fish the Big Bend Dam. Oh and the 6th will be a zoo if only one access is open so be prepared.

I am leaving Fri and fishin till Tues. Play it by ear and watch the river graphs that is about the best thing to do if you are going later also if rain is forecasted proceed with caution. Hope Im wrong and you HIT IT!

Seems the last several years fishing has been good till season close, with an exception a few years ago. Some of those years the ramps at vidas or further were clear and open around this time or the coming weekend.

Hopefully we get some more landings open to spread everyone out a bit. I've only fished the rainy 11 years now and have only waited more than 30 minutes at a landing once, in or out. The worst was a rainy Friday at frontier on the way out two years go. Even then people were even keeled and patient. Several of my friends fished it back in the 80s and 90s and described the landings as the Wild West, with fights etc... In the same breath they say those were the good old days!

We have always joked about grabbing a case of beer and setting up lawn chairs at one of the ramps and watch people coming on and off. I gurantee you would see some interesting things, especially if the ramp is icy. I got to believe it would be pure comedy.

The low temps at night and upper 30's forcasted, in my opinion the forks will be not letting loose as to some say. I we would have to have a week of 50+ and full sun to get that fast of a melt going on.

I am headed up Next thursday the 11th through the 14th. I will almost put money down says the forks don't let loose before that..

Just my opinion.

Next weeks temps don't look overly warm. Besides the next couple of days, the temps look decent for a slow thaw. That being said, you never know what will happen, its the rainy river.

Right now most fishing reports are decent, water is clear and current is slow. If I could get away, I would go now and not risk it. Just my .02.

April 3rd, 2013:

The Birchdale Landing is open to big boats! Frontier still has some shore ice so boats are pushing off there. The River is open about 4 miles West of Frontier so it hasn't moved much in the last few days. The forecast is calling for some warmer temperatures! Some groups seemed to have a good day yesterday while other groups weren't as lucky. It was a cold and windy day for them yesterday!

Birchdale Landing:

full-40547-31734-april3(2).jpg

Frontier Landing:

full-40547-31735-april3(1).jpg

So it looks like just 1 of the 2 ramps at Birchdale were opened? That should make for an interesting weekend if Frontier doesn't get opened up. People won't be getting off the river til midnite!!LOL

See a lot of aluminum boats...any big Rangers / glass boats being put in??

Looks pretty slick.

Someone with a pick-up and tow strap could probably make some good $$ pulling the bigger rigs out....

I always gave a few bags of sand along just incase the ramp is wet or the water has frozen from other boats going in and out.

Saves alot of time if you have some with.

AgreeJust Added Two Of Paver Base And 3/4" River Rock To Bucket Of Sand I Already Had. HoPe We Save The County Some Gravel ExpenseLater This Spring....Forgive Me For The Capital LetterS. Droid Swype Doesn't Jive With Fm I Guess.

Someone with a pick-up and tow strap could probably make some good $$ pulling the bigger rigs out....

I hope I don't meet you on the water or at a ramp. All the fisherman I know up here wouldn't hesitate to pull somebody out and they definitely wouldn't take any money to do it. All I can say is wow!

I just watched a video from today with more than 50 boats lined up on the shoulder at Birchdale...

on a Wednesday. smile

[goose89]Someone with a pick-up and tow strap could probably make some good $$ pulling the bigger rigs out....

Quote:

I hope I don't meet you on the water or at a ramp. All the fisherman I know up here wouldn't hesitate to pull somebody out and they definitely wouldn't take any money to do it. All I can say is wow!

City Folk

2Thepoint, Easy Fella. That Wasn't My Point....Wasn't Out To OffendYou Or Any FishermEn u Know...I'll Be In New Lund Impact...I Like To Apologize In Person If Your Out There.

I took a ride over to Birchdale yesterday. I counted 84 truck - trailers along the road. That was only about 2/3 of the way to the highway. There were another 20 or so at the landing parking in the overflow lot. Everything was going real smooth and noone was having any problems. At Frontier the lot was full and a few trucks were across the road but only about 5 of them. They were still launching on the shore ice.