Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
RoyalDutchman

2013 River Conditions for Spring Fishing!

JeremyCampbell

I saw something like that about two months ago on the river.Two guys slid a row boat on the ice until they got in the open water and there they went.I'm not ready for that yet .I would be concerned about the last 20 feet of ice and the ice breaking with all that current underneath.

K2

in the days before the internet and county help clearing ramps, very few boats over 16' were on the river. the usual method of entering the river was by "boat luge", have a good collection of video with interesting adventures using this tactic. in 25years+ we have slid over ice more than backing in using ramp.

K2

Walleyehooker

Back in those days we used to take a 14 footer that had a tilt trailer to make for easier loading and unloading. Seen guys with a little bigger boats trying to wrestle and lift and winch rigs back onto the trailer off of the ice. What a guy wouldn't do to go fishing.

PerchJrkr

Ha. Not limited to small boats. I have a 17' lund Angler that i will not hesitate to dump off on the ice. They slide on the ice like they were MADE for it. I watched some guys load and unload an 18' glass boat a few years back. Makes it kinda tough with a bunk trailer, but if you have a roller trailer, let er buck.

RoyalDutchman

Grant said he would feel better about making a guess tomorrow after we see how much it opens up in 2 days since we are having another nice day. He is thinking/hoping the middle of next week for Birchdale for big boats but you never know with the river.

ANYFISH2

We have done this many years with a old '70 something 14 ft crestliner. Lighter the better, but with 2-3 guys it is pretty easy. It isn't the easiest on the boat but have not had any problems minus a few scratches to the paint.

Loading over the ice is the tricky part, usually I will run the boat up onto the shore ice(tough on the boat), this will usually break any remaining weak ice off the edge. If it holds the boat than it has always held us walking to shore.

We then back the truck and trailer down to the ice( NOT onto the ice), we then hook up a long tow strap to the boat and connect to the winch rope on the trailer and drag the boat to shore and then winch it onto the trailer(my trailer tilts so that makes it easy). Less than five minutes and on the road. Its not that bad at all.

fish4cats

Any and all updates on open water conditions would be greatly appreciated guys! We are heading up on April 5th and hoping to launch the boats at Birchdale.

Thanks in advance!

Tolens

Looking from Barwick down river was open as far as I could see yesterday, I will try to get a couple pictures on the way home tonight of river.

Cheers

Rob

RoyalDutchman

March 27th, 2013:

We went out about 10:45 AM to check on the River Conditions today. The temperature is about 28 degrees. We first stopped at Birchdale Landing and talked to some people that were up to open water fish and weren't able to get out yet so they were going to try ice fishing today and hopefully tomorrow be able to push the boat in the water. Franz Jevne has about 50 yards of shore ice yet but there is open water and the rapids to the west of there are open. Grant figures by this weekend you will be able to push a boat out at Franz Jevne and Birchdale Landing.

Here is a picture from the top of the Birchdale Landing where water is in sight now:

full-40547-31455-march27(3).jpg

Here is a picture of the shore ice at Franz Jevne looking to the east:

full-40547-31456-march27(5).jpg

This picture is of the rapids to the west of Franze Jevne:

full-40547-31457-march27(7).jpg

RoyalDutchman

We have one room that opened up for the first weekend in April now just wanted to let you know

LindellProStaf

It is 39.4 degrees at Baudette now at 3:00 pm. Feels great.

Tolens

Here's some pictures from today in Barwick,full-39664-31469-104_0655.jpg

full-39664-31470-104_0656.jpg

full-39664-31471-104_0657.jpg

full-39664-31472-104_0658.jpg

This is looking to the west down river.

Have a good one

Rob

JacobG

must be terrible having to live right there next to the river..... Rainy lake...... Lake of the Woods.... grin Awww! feel terrible for you guys.

MAdDuckiceroads

Any idea what the water temp is

maxpower117

I would guess about 32.5 considering the ice just left and there's a lot of shore ice.

Fish Tales

32.0 degrees at manitou rapids

elusivecrappiecatcher

The below is from Steve's Lucky Bait this morning... I got it off there Facebook Page...

!!!OPEN WATER AT BIRCHDALE!!! And the ice is moving fast, there is about 75 feet of shore ice. Good luck and be careful.

RoyalDutchman

March 28th, 2013:

I (Alyse) headed East to check on the River Conditions and took pictures just before 10 AM and the temperature was around 27 degrees according to the car. The River has opened up in front of Birchdale and to the west a little there is one frozen spot and then open water again. There are weak spots west of Birchdale that you can see along Highway 11 on your way to Froniter. I did talk to a local from Birchdale that had been out fishing and he said he did good last night which is a good thing to hear!

Here are two boats putting in right at the Birchdale Landing (picture keeps getting blurry when uploading sorry guys):

full-40547-31509-march28(1).jpg

Here is the frozen spot which will be gone later today I am sure just west of Birchdale Landing:

full-40547-31510-march28(3).jpg

Here's to the west of Birchdale Landing:

full-40547-31511-march28(6).jpg

Here is Franz Jevne:

full-40547-31512-march28(4).jpg

Random guy

JacobG

Johnny, I was thinking the same thing

maxpower117

It regularly done with 17'+ boats.

Sure gets quiet in here when the first boats go in.

RoyalDutchman

March 29th, 2013:

I (Alyse) went and checked the River Conditions about 9:45AM and the car kept reading the temperature as 35 degrees which could be right as the one in our house is reading 38 degrees. The river keeps opening up a few miles everyday. It is open 4.3 miles West of Birchdale Landing and 3.6 miles East of Frontier Landing. While I was driving yesterday I saw 2 bald eagles with a huge nest and never got a good picture so this morning I watched for them again and I was able to get one but there was only one eagle there. Also when I stopped to take a picture of where the river ended for being open there were 7 deer on the ice and not even a mile west of the open water. The deer were off the ice when I came back home they were being brave as the ice was yellowish color and looking like it would be gone in a few hours. I talked to the same guy as I did yesterday in Birchdale and he said that they did really good fishing yesterday and it doesn't sound like they were out all day either.

Here is 4.3 miles west of Birchdale Landing:

full-40547-31549-march29(4).jpg

There is less shore ice at Birchdale Landing this morning:

full-40547-31550-march29(8).jpg

Franz Jevne also has less shore ice:

full-40547-31551-march29(6).jpg

goose89

Hey! It's on like bing bong, Jack! Thanks for the updates Alyce!

meathunter

Ya every body is HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!

harvey lee

I need the icth to get scratched but I can wait for open water at the landing.