• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2013 River Conditions for Spring Fishing!

March 11th, 2013:

We went to International Falls today and decided it was about that time to start checking on the river conditions. We had heard it was open to Indus last week but were busy with the business so we weren't able to go and check until today. From what we could see from the road the river is open 8.5 miles east of the Birchdale Landing. We are getting excited and wish we had the 70 degree weather we had last year at this time!

Here is a picture we took which is about 11 miles east of the Birchdale Landing it was the only open spot where we could get a good picture of the river:full-40547-30994-march17th,2013.jpg

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RoyalDutchman

• goose89

• meathunter

• elusivecrappiecatcher

March 14th, 2013:

Grant went to take some pictures of the river around Noon today. The river is now open 7.7 miles East of the Birchdale Landing. It opened almost a mile in 3 days let's hope for some nice warm weather!

These two pictures are in front of Franz Jevne State Park:

full-40547-31070-3.14(2).jpg

full-40547-31071-3.14(3).jpg

These two pictures are about 7.7 miles east of the Birchdale Landing: The first picture is to the east (the black specks by the snow and water line are ducks) and the second one is to the west

full-40547-31072-3.14(5).jpg

full-40547-31073-3.14(4).jpg

March 19th, 2013:

The last few days we have gotten phone calls asking if the river really was open at 5 miles east of Birchdale as they had heard it was open that far on Saturday. We also saw this posted on many forums. We decided to venture out on this blustery day and see if it was open. I have some bad news, as much snow as there is on the ice 5 miles east of Birchdale we believe it was never open there. Also where Grant took pictures last Thursday it was froze up to the west now.

By road from the Birchdale Landing this is what it looked like at 5 miles:

full-40547-31220-3.19(7).jpg

This picture was taken today in the same spot as thursday March 14th to show that the river froze back up there this is the view to the east:

full-40547-31221-3.19(11).jpg

This is the view to the west where it froze back up:

full-40547-31222-3.19(2).jpg

Your honesty, detail and consistency is appreciated. Not sure what's going on, but the ol' reliable info center of past is getting sketchy, at least availability of there site. Thanks Grant and Alyse!

Your honesty, detail and consistency is appreciated. Not sure what's going on, but the ol' reliable info center of past is getting sketchy, at least availability of there site. Thanks Grant and Alyse!

I agree thanks for the info and updates. I am booked for April 11th - 14th. I have my fingers crossed, This is disappointing to see, but it is the nature of the beast, what are you going to do...?

I have the same dates elusive. No worries for me, it will be open, we just need a week of warmer temps.

Thank you guys for the nice words! We were actually hoping the rumors were true but it was so hard to believe with the cold night temperatures we have had. We strive to be honest and accurate with the river conditions...We even check the mileage 2 times just to make sure. We are hoping that it will be open soon as I am getting excited for Spring and to maybe even get a chance to get out there and catch a big walleye! See everyone soon... Will post pictures as soon as we check the River again

Thank you guys for the nice words! We were actually hoping the rumors were true but it was so hard to believe with the cold night temperatures we have had. We strive to be honest and accurate with the river conditions...We even check the mileage 2 times just to make sure. We are hoping that it will be open soon as I am getting excited for Spring and to maybe even get a chance to get out there and catch a big walleye! See everyone soon... Will post pictures as soon as we check the River again

RD,

Do you guys have any rooms available for checkin on the 11th and checkout on the 14th? I would rather stay at your place. If not it's no biggie.

Thanks again for the updates as they're much appreciated!

Sorry, I would have a room just for that Thursday Night we are booked for both Friday and Saturday Nights the first 2 weeks of April.

March 22nd, 2013:

We went and checked the River Conditions again and we hate to say it but it is still the exact same as the last time we went. It is open 7.7 miles east of Birchdale Landing and it is still froze up looking to the west. It was 21 degrees when we took the pictures today and the forecast is looking like we are going to have highs in the 30s for the at least the next 10 days!

This is the view to the East this morning:

full-40547-31289-3.22(2).jpg

This is the view straight in front of us:

full-40547-31290-3.22(3).jpg

This is the view to the west where it froze back up and hasn't opened again:

full-40547-31291-3.22(4).jpg

I think when this stretch opens up it will go pretty quickly, the below freezing temps for those few days maybe put a few inches of ice in those former open areas.

So who is all in for opening up the Birchdale landing for big boats April 6th? If we all meet early with chainsaws chisels and augers and such there should be no doubt about fishing that weekend RIGHT? This winter is really starting to drag you can only go through the tackle box and gear so much. I think twenty eye crazed people could do it.

So who is all in for opening up the Birchdale landing for big boats April 6th? If we all meet early with chainsaws chisels and augers and such there should be no doubt about fishing that weekend RIGHT? This winter is really starting to drag you can only go through the tackle box and gear so much. I think twenty eye crazed people could do it.

No reason to do this. The county usually plows the access when the ice goes off. Let the pros do it.

Today's satellite image would lead me to believe there is open water to within about 5 miles or so of Birchdale.

The optimistic side of me thinks it should go pretty fast once it starts making progress. Nighttime lows are supposed to be much nicer beginning later in the week also.

Note: no need for anyone to jump on me if its not exactly 5 miles. I'm simply estimating using the image vs. google earth. I am thinking there is open water to about Barwick, ON.

Today's satellite image would lead me to believe there is open water to within about 5 miles or so of Birchdale.

The optimistic side of me thinks it should go pretty fast once it starts making progress. Nighttime lows are supposed to be much nicer beginning later in the week also.

Note: no need for anyone to jump on me if its not exactly 5 miles. I'm simply estimating using the image vs. google earth. I am thinking there is open water to about Barwick, ON.

Where are you getting your sat. images? Thanks.

You are pretty good! By road it is about 5 miles East of Birchdale we just went and checked today.

March 25th, 2013:

We went and checked the River Conditions and we have some good news it opened up almost 2.7 miles since Friday! That means its getting closer to Birchdale Landing! It is almost 5 miles East of Birchdale! We took the pictures around noon and the temperature was 29 degrees and the 10 day forecast looks like warm weather is here to stay with highs in the 30s and 40s! This is good news for everyone Spring has finally decided to come. Grant thinks you will be able to push boats down at Franz Jevne State Park this weekend.

Here is a picture in front of Franz Jevne:

full-40547-31374-march25(1).jpg

Here are some pictures we took at 5 miles east of Birchdale Landing:

full-40547-31375-march25(8).jpg

full-40547-31376-march25(9).jpg

full-40547-31377-march25(11).jpg

Thanks RD for your efforts and the updates. Based on the latest info, and I won't hold you to it, what is your best guess as to when birchdale and frontier may be ready for big boats.

Alright may be a dumb question but define pushing a boat in? How small of a boat would you need? Last year was our first year fishing the spring bite so never had to deal with this. Have a 14' boat.

When they say "pushing a boat in" it means having a boat light enough so you can slide it over the ice that's next to the shore. I've never been up there when those conditions were present but I've seen pics. of guys in jon boats and small v's that are light enough to slide over the ice and then hop in once they get it close to the water. If your jon boat is light enough for 2-3 guys to do this then you are in business. I'm not sure I would want to do it but if you are careful it can be done.

I saw something like that about two months ago on the river.Two guys slid a row boat on the ice until they got in the open water and there they went.I'm not ready for that yet .I would be concerned about the last 20 feet of ice and the ice breaking with all that current underneath.

in the days before the internet and county help clearing ramps, very few boats over 16' were on the river. the usual method of entering the river was by "boat luge", have a good collection of video with interesting adventures using this tactic. in 25years+ we have slid over ice more than backing in using ramp.

K2

Back in those days we used to take a 14 footer that had a tilt trailer to make for easier loading and unloading. Seen guys with a little bigger boats trying to wrestle and lift and winch rigs back onto the trailer off of the ice. What a guy wouldn't do to go fishing.

Ha. Not limited to small boats. I have a 17' lund Angler that i will not hesitate to dump off on the ice. They slide on the ice like they were MADE for it. I watched some guys load and unload an 18' glass boat a few years back. Makes it kinda tough with a bunk trailer, but if you have a roller trailer, let er buck.

Grant said he would feel better about making a guess tomorrow after we see how much it opens up in 2 days since we are having another nice day. He is thinking/hoping the middle of next week for Birchdale for big boats but you never know with the river.