• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Slot Rules

lindy rig

Does anyone know is the DNR meeting today? Any idea when we should hear the final word?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TruthWalleyes

• northender

• pushbutton

• smackem33

Yep... It's scheduled to start around 5:00pm today. IMHO... Don't expect much if anything as far as answers. The resorts/locals and DNR will be there. However, rumor has it the "other side of the table" is expected to either not show, or walk out in protest.

I'm still trying to re-arrange a few this to attend. I'm not sure if they are taking public input but a "physical" show of support is always a good thing.

with the allocation cut in half, I see EXTREMELY tight slot and bag limits, and more than likely, c & r only by mid summer. the hooking mortality will almost cover "our" part of the allocation. I would like to see the other side of this step up and do the right thing as well. I know, I know..... Wish in one hand.......

It will be interesting to see what comes of this. The lake is in definite need of help. The little walleyes just aren't there right now and it will be a huge problem in years to come. Talking with one resort guide and he was predicting a Red Lake scenario. Lets hope it doesnt get to that point.

Bummer, i hope they figure out how the lake got to the current situation so it can be better managed in the future.

Bummer, i hope they figure out how the lake got to the current situation so it can be better managed in the future.

+1

That should not be very hard. DUH!!!! Gill net walleyes 13-??inches, sport angler only allowed to keep walleyes 17", 18", 19" or less.

All thats left is the bigger stuff that also eats the small stuff. And they wonder why the balance is messed up.

D---Don't

N---No

R---Rear end squirt. or that other 4 letter wrote.

Jim what would you do? they have to try and please everyone, from the average angler, to the business that relies on the lake to the tribe, and while dealing with new invasives in the lake. I think they have their work cut out for them. Yes they might have been a little late to the party, but I am pretty sure they have known about the problem for a couple years now but if they would have thrown the alarm bells earlier the business' around the lake would have thrown a hissy fit because fishing was so "good". Its easy for us arm chair biologists to sit back and say they should do this, or this. Or even point the finger at one side and say it is their fault, but not so easy when you have to take all sides into account. The lake gets the %*%@ pounded out of it on a daily basis and still continues to produce, maybe if the average walleye fisherman learned about catch and release there wouldn't be such a huge problem. And to everyone about to go off on the tribe, they want to see the lake continue to be a great fishery also, there livelihoods are at stake on this also!

That should not be very hard. DUH!!!! Gill net walleyes 13-??inches, sport angler only allowed to keep walleyes 17", 18", 19" or less.

All thats left is the bigger stuff that also eats the small stuff. And they wonder why the balance is messed up.

That was my line of thinking as well; just hope they start being proactive in managing instead of reactive...Granted it's an ecosystem and not black and white.

Maybe open up harvest on all those small mouth bass. And start allowing harvest of 1 fish over 20" like the rest of the state.

...But i'm no expert on this.

Maybe open up harvest on all those small mouth bass. And start allowing harvest of 1 fish over 20" like the rest of the state.

I think this is something that should be seriously considered. There are a ton of smallies in the pond and they feed on the same forage as the eyes as far as I know so I see that as potentially helping the walleye population while having minimal effect on the bass population since all of the weekend warriors are coming up to fish eyes anyway. Could be a start at least. We've caught a few smallies fishin' eyes and 2 of the 3 we caught were over 20".

I would bet those small mouth have put a dent in the perch population as well, especially the fry.

Might be something to the fact that bass guys are catch and release anyway, maybe its something the eye guys should try.... just a little food for thought to all those that take their limits and then complain about not having anything to keep next time

Ill start catching and releaseing at the same time they quit netting and selling!!!

And that is why this keeps going in circles, because of that kind of thinking, both sides are just as guilty but both just want to sit there and scream and yell and point.

They should do earn a walleye. Whack a smallmouth bass, northern or musky before you can catch walleye. Sounds good to me!

This makes no sense to me

Peterson said it is especially important for regulations to help conserve the lake’s large 2008 walleye year class because currently no strong year class is coming up behind these 16- to 17-inch fish.

But very soon they will be trying to net about 40 tons of these

I got a good laugh at that one slab supper!

From Jan 1 to season close i was on mille lacs every weekend except 2, and all of those were 3 or 4 day trips. I ate 1 walleye on the ice. Rest were released. Doing my part.

both sides are just as guilty? indians net and fish when we are only allowed to fish

The tribes limit for angleing currently is 10 Walleyes with no size restriction. This needs to change.

New slots??? You guys are too funny. Isn't that the definition of insanity? Repeating the same behavior over and over and expecting a different result?

I wonder how many of those blaming indians did their part in releasing the smaller eater fish this year.

i won't take from a fishery in trouble even if allowed a limit. Got to take some responsibility to help correct the situation rather than blame others so you can have your entitled limit of walleyes. Lead by example.

Yeah, I was a little surprised as well. Being able to keep 2 fish in the 18 to 20 inch range just will wipe what is left of those. Assuming the nets will be targeting those as well. So instead of everyone targeting the 14 to 17 inchers ....everyone will now be targeting the lucky bastards that made it through that gauntlet. Yeah that is quite bizarre. The 6 bass limit also confusing.....heck keep 50.

Looks like it is a compromise approach trying to appease all sides. Tough choices for sure given the situation, but IMO does not look good for the future of the eyeballs. Not looking for a pat on the back, but have only kept three walleyes in the last two years.....none this year. If both sides can't resist that urge/right....looks like once the bigguns die off there will not be many left. It will be a helluva a smallie fishery though........

From Jan 1 to season close i was on mille lacs every weekend except 2, and all of those were 3 or 4 day trips. I ate 1 walleye on the ice. Rest were released. Doing my part

So where does the truth ly?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I wonder how many of those blaming indians did their part in releasing the smaller eater fish this year.

i won't take from a fishery in trouble even if allowed a limit. Got to take some responsibility to help correct the situation rather than blame others so you can have your entitled limit of walleyes. Lead by example.

Have you ever been at the boat launch when they pull in the nets and start going through them? I have and there is no slot limit going on. It's every kind of fish that gets stuck in the net. Walleye, Pike, big Jumbo Perch, Musky, Tullies, you name it. Sounds more like indiscrimate fishing instead of "selective Harvest" like the hook & line un-entitled citizens have to follow! smirk

I'll be doing my part and just not going back to that waste land for a few years! wink

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Just saw this posted on the C/List/ you know which one I mean! I'm sure with a 2 fish limit we will see a lot more bale or close soon! Not great news for resorts like Appledorns that just built a whole new set of rooms! frown

New Listing

RESORT FOR SALE ON MILLE LACS ON THE POPULAR EAST SIDE

MNRS #1960245Everyone who knows the Resort, fishing or tourism industries in Minnesota, knows about Lake Mille Lacs. Now Minnesota Resort Sales has listed a solid, cash flowing Resort operation on the popular east side of Mille Lacs. This Resort operation is priced to sell, as the owners are ready to retire after decades of owning and operating a few different Resorts on the lake.

Anyone else wonder how climate change may play its part? The lake temperature increases over the past two decades are theorized to have played an important role in the loss of the eelpout population, but it makes me wonder about the rest of the fishery as well.

this is tough as heck, not only do you have a better chance of winning the lottery than catching an eye in the slot, you will more than likely be frowned upon for keeping it and from what most say on these forums the bigger ones in the 27 & above range when caught usually look skinny and under nourished and there are many more of em cause of the slots & fighting for the same food. Yet they keep a slot & limit to appease resort owners etc. and from what i read only ppl taking their keepers home will more than likely be out of towners on vacation cause they will want to have something to show for buying their license. in the meantime the actual residents of this state are getting the shaft with no end in sight. it is seriously time to just shut it down. a good resort will figure out a way to keep ppl coming without fishing involved. same concept as someone said above. not only may there not be anything in the future for the resorts, but for the rest of the state & our resident anglers as well. much better to push "pause" button on lake now than it getter worse and harder to fix in future.