Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
eyesonly

Spring Bite on the Rainy

gizmoguy

I read here in past years that you were able to navigate on the Can side of the line just not fish on the Can side of the line without proper paperwork. Just as long as you don't touch the shoreline and navigating up or down the river. Does anybody have any input to that assumption? In the original post that was described as to have being the reason for the MNR action, just navigating over the line.

brakedancer

yeah in the busy areas people run the canadian side all the time..never seen any harassment from the mounties for that..just don't fish..I would imagine in their laws they can give out tickets for that but I've never seen it happen..

good luck

chochie

Yes, there is a line.

With a MN license you can fish the Mn side only. If you cross that line just driving on the river, you will be tagged by the Canada police.

I go with a MN license and I do not croos that line. I have a gps chip in my GPS that shows the line and I still stay 20 yards or so away from the line.

No need to split hairs on your location and get a nice fat fine from Canada.

Guy I know was on the Rainy last spring while we were up and he came to an area with a bend in the river and it was full of fisherman. So, instead of driving through all the fisherman, he drove around them and for a few yards, went over into Canada.

Well, Mounties saw them and pulled them over on the Canadian shoreline.

They took thier fish, bait and the fine was $1,100.00. It's too bad that it has come to this but I would not even get so close that they could even think you were close to the line.

$125.00 for a GPS chip is far less. I also bring a range finder with when and if the water is low to make sure I am on my half of the river.

Guessing there was more to that story as there are times you HAVE to go into Canadian waters to get around a pack of boats...either that or be given a lot of 1-finger salutes as you motor thru the pack...

maxpower117

Quote:
Guessing there was more to that story as there are times you HAVE to go into Canadian waters to get around a pack of boats...either that or be given a lot of 1-finger salutes as you motor thru the pack...

One thing I hate is when boats slow down to pass. No better way to make the biggest wake possible!

FYI... Anyone taking legal advise from a fishing website, deserves whatever they have coming to them.

harvey lee

I don't know but his dad told me they simply crossed the boundry line and they were NOT fishing unless they lied to thier dad.

I NEVER cross the line, I drive through the pack of boats slowly.

James_R

There is no imaginary "line" on the Rainy River as far a travel goes. It is a navigable waterway. Unless you set foot on Canadian soil, dock your boat on their side of the river or tie your craft to a Canadian vessel you are free to be wherever you want on the river without an I-68 or a canpass. You are still subject to Ontario game laws on their side of the river but they do not have the authority to chase you onto our half of the river if you decide to move your boat over a few inches towards the south. A lot of people spreading paranoia and misinformation here so relax on the river next month and feel free to drive your boats wherever you want to on the river. If you have a couple of fish in your livewell and no Ontario fishing license don't beach your boat on the canadian shoreline and take a nap and you'll be just fine.

maj330

Any chance you can point to a government document supporting your statement?

harvey lee

Guess I have been told wrong info by many up in that area. Thats what I have been told more than once. Not what the guy that got fined told me at all.

Guess it is worth a phone call to the Ontario office. Need to get some info from the horses mouth.

James_R

Call a port of entry near the Rainy River and ask to speak to an officer familiar with this specific inland waterway. I'm not advocating that anyone should fish illegally in Canadian waters but their jurisdiction does end in Canada and does not include the United States. Border Patrol cannot legally enter Mexico to pursue a suspect since it violates Mexican sovereignty and international law so the same would apply to Ontario game wardens.

maxpower117

Call a port of entry near the Rainy River and ask to speak to an officer familiar with this specific inland waterway. I'm not advocating that anyone should fish illegally in Canadian waters but their jurisdiction does end in Canada and does not include the United States. Border Patrol cannot legally enter Mexico to pursue a suspect since it violates Mexican sovereignty and international law so the same would apply to Ontario game wardens.

Same thing I explained above and I tested it. Never again though.

harvey lee

After talking with the US Customs and Border Patrol and the Ontario CBP here is what I wwas told.

US Custom and Border Patrol agent told me I should not cross the line to simply navigate from point a to point b without the proper paperwork ie-Canpass or Rabc.

Ontario I asked the same question and thier agent said I could cross the imaginary line as long as I did not touch the Ontario shoreline and beach the boat. He also said, no alochol can be in the boat and NO minnows.

So, as always, when I am up fishing, I will be staying on the US side as I always have minnows in the boat like more than likely all fisherman.

harvey lee

There is no imaginary "line" on the Rainy River as far a travel goes. It is a navigable waterway. Unless you set foot on Canadian soil, dock your boat on their side of the river or tie your craft to a Canadian vessel you are free to be wherever you want on the river without an I-68 or a canpass. You are still subject to Ontario game laws on their side of the river but they do not have the authority to chase you onto our half of the river if you decide to move your boat over a few inches towards the south. A lot of people spreading paranoia and misinformation here so relax on the river next month and feel free to drive your boats wherever you want to on the river. If you have a couple of fish in your livewell and no Ontario fishing license don't beach your boat on the canadian shoreline and take a nap and you'll be just fine.

As long as you do not have any minnows or booze in your boat. If you do, then you cannot cross the line. I think most all fisherman have minnows in the boat for jigging the springtime walleye bite.

Wiskers

I cant wait to get on that open river... been way too long for me.. If anyone is going soon and has room or wants company let me know..

As for the invisible line issue, I have always had an issue with it.. I can see no fishing or docking but navigating is ok.. beer or bait in the boat.. If you don't stop they should not bother you. But if they do, as long as you stop on the US side they can not deal with you... My .02 cents worth, if they want to enforce an invisible line they better mark it.. That's just real live in my book..

CANOPY SAM

For those of you who are not currently aware...

We are now experiencing yet another winter storm. This one is slated to drop over 6+ inches of snow in the Warroad/Baudette area, and will be accompanied by 25-40 mph winds.

Our coming week's forecast calls for temperatures to remain below freezing until at least next Saturday, and the weatherman out of Grand Forks, ND, stated he did not anticipate ANY significant melting of snow until at least the end of March.

It may be a pretty small window this year, but at least we'll be ice-fishing for a while yet! smile