• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spring Bite on the Rainy

Hi Guys

I was hoping to make my 1st ever trip up to the Rainy River with my younger Teenage sons on a Walleye/ Sturgeon trip and was hoping I could ask a question or two. My two Sons are not old enough to Drive so I would Love to be able to Dock the Boat somewhere for the Days we will be up there. Could someone please give me the name of a Resort or two on the river that I could book with so that I could use thier docks and Not have to Launch the boat by myself every morning to avoid ticking everyone off in Line behind me by being slow ? Ive looked back on all the old threads and I dont find anything. Maybe this isnt a possibility ? I picked Monday april 1st as our first day hoping that the number of fisherman would be less and it would lessen the chance of me being in the way as Im sure there is a learning curve to all this. Thanks for any info you guys can Give to help a couple of new guys out with

One may have to go to the gap by LOW's and get a room at one of those resorts. Wigwam and many others there would have docks if they are ice free. I have also used Riverbend and Shuster's in that area. I believe Border View and Adrains also have docks.

Watch for the ice conditions to make sure the Rainy is open then.

I am glad you are concerned about how much time it takes to unload at a busy landing but many come by themselves and it takes them time also. Just back up, unload your stuff and then go out and enjoy the day fishing.

I think that thing that upsets alot of fisherman at the landing is when a boater backs into the slot, then takes 10 minutes to get the gear in the boat ready and then puts the boat in the water. Have your gear and boat ready so when you back up, all you have to do is unload, tie to the dock and park your vechile. Noone in thier right mind should get upset with that procedure and if they do, too bad.

I have seen many people at the landing back thier boat in, tie it up and then park thier vechile. Don't let a few jerks ruin your trip.

I would book a room as soon as possible as they can fill up fast but for the time you are planning on going, you should find a room.

I used the landings at frontie, Birchdale Clementson last spring and they were busy but not that bad. Trouble with these, not much for rooms and no docks. Clementson does offer rooms but I believe you will have to use a public landing.

If one could get into Clementsons to stay, then you would be close to a few public landings and they have both good sturgeon and eye fishing at those locations. let the jerks sit and wait, it takes every one time to load and unload thier boats.

One could also stay near International Falls at Woody's Resort and then go to the river from thier. Only about 300 yards from Woody's to the river. Only thing is, I do not know how far one can go on the river on that stretch. One could call Woody and I am sure he would know as I know they do fish that area. Woody does have docks, just do not know how soon they get them in. Woody has fair prices for rooms and I am sure Woody could point you in the correct direction.

I would say your best bet would be a resort near 4 mile bay or the mouth of the rainy. Lots of resorts with docks for use if you believe you have to have a dock, I do not believe so.

Agree with Harvey Lee. Last year was the first time we actually kept the boat at a dock, which was very nice! We stayed at Rainy River Resort. I also see a lot of guys that will pull their boats up onto the ice and tie it off by Birchdale. I am not sure if they are staying near there or just taking the chance that no one will mess with their stuff. Otherwise, teach the boys how to back up a trailer...that is how my old man taught me to drive, up at the cabin, pulling the boat in and out of the water. Fond memories! Good luck, the spring run is a BLAST!

I wouldn't let your slow launching abilities factor into where you stay. You could have to do some driving around to locate the fish so you might not want to be tethered to a specific dock somewhere 30 miles from where the fish are biting. We've all had a few embarrassing incidents at a boat launch before and I'd bet somebody there would be willing to give you and your boys some assistance if needed.

+1 on that. If people have a prob with you working extra hard to take your boys fishing they can stick it, and you can find the guy with the brown crestliner I'd be happy to help. All i can say is I'm happy to see posts about the river, cant wait!! Its hard to pick a date for that trip on the calendar, watch the forums close. Good luck!!!

I would check with the Royal Dutchman. They have some docks and are real nice people. It is a mile or two east of Baudette.

hey has any one checked the regs it states the walleye on the rainy river will close Feb 28 is this true I was hoping this year to chase those big eyes in the river but not this year per the reg book. I will be up in Mid April to chase the sturgeon. was hoping for a combo trip.

Also did any one catch IDO fishing last week he was talking about the early river fishing so that is why I was looking into the season dates.

I see the error of my ways did get info from KKK at the MN dnr and yes Hoppe is correct I just need to hear it from the horses mouth. I also asked why it takes so long to get the next years reg book published on line and o the only response was that retails will have them by the end of the week.

So thanks for correcting me and good luck and be safe out on the water.

Perhaps it has changed from previous years, but I didn't think one was allowed to leave their boat on the river shoreline overnight during the early spring walleye run?

Didn't there used to be a regulation about trailering out your boats at the end of each day?

I've been looking at regulations about leaving a boat tied up from shore...can't find it ..if somebody finds it ..post it so we know..

Here is a link to last year's regulations. I couldn't find 2013 yet. I do not see anything regarding not being able to leave your boat on shore. I know in the fall people camp at birchdale and leave their boats in the water all the time.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/baudette/rainy_river_2012_final.pdf

2013 harvest laws.

Rainy River (Mar. 1, 2013 – Apr. 14, 2013)

The walleye/sauger aggregate limit is two (all walleye 19.5 inches and longer must be immediately released)

Hello,

We are located just 2 and half miles east of the nearest boat access and we have a dock for all our guests to use. We are located right on the Rainy River with motel style rooms on the riverside and also on the other side of Highway 11. We have our logo on this page feel free to click on it for more information. I noticed you are looking at April 1st and we have openings and my husband can always help get your vehicle or boat back here if you would like we have done this for customers in the past

East of Baudette 2 of the more popular landings are Vidas 6 miles east and Frontier 14 miles. On the canadian side of river is the church alot of people like to fish. The church by river is 3 miles east of vidas and 5 miles west of Frontier.

Border water regs are different, I believe. That's why LOW stays open past Feb. 28th. Look a little closer at the regs.

Mike

I can't wait! I sthould be bring my boat out of storage in about 3 weeks.

Ive been getting the boat ready for the past few days! making up leaders and packing all the lead necessary to stay on bottom. Im thinking that a guy should be able to put his boat in at frontier by the 14th or 15th. Hope so anyhow. If the weather stays steady that shouldnt be a problem. There is already open water past loman, the ice goes pretty fast, but never fast enough! 5lbs of frozen shiners and a flat of crawlers. Those sturgeon dont stand a chance!

• 2 weeks later...

Never been up there to fish the Rainy. We have a friend with a place on the Canadian side across from Frontier that we can stay. Does a Minn license allow you to fish either side or is there an imaginary boundary you can't cross or else must have both licenses? Thanks

Yes, there is a line.

With a MN license you can fish the Mn side only. If you cross that line just driving on the river, you will be tagged by the Canada police.

I go with a MN license and I do not croos that line. I have a gps chip in my GPS that shows the line and I still stay 20 yards or so away from the line.

No need to split hairs on your location and get a nice fat fine from Canada.

Guy I know was on the Rainy last spring while we were up and he came to an area with a bend in the river and it was full of fisherman. So, instead of driving through all the fisherman, he drove around them and for a few yards, went over into Canada.

Well, Mounties saw them and pulled them over on the Canadian shoreline.

They took thier fish, bait and the fine was $1,100.00. It's too bad that it has come to this but I would not even get so close that they could even think you were close to the line.

$125.00 for a GPS chip is far less. I also bring a range finder with when and if the water is low to make sure I am on my half of the river.

Quote:
Guy I know was on the Rainy last spring while we were up and he came to an area with a bend in the river and it was full of fisherman. So, instead of driving through all the fisherman, he drove around them and for a few yards, went over into Canada.

No way would I have pulled over. Once you are on the US side they have no jurisdiction. Just like the US can't chase criminals ove the Mexican border.

I was close to getting caught once. I just quickly headed over to the US side and got a funny look from the Canadian CO's.

I'm much more careful now and would never fish on that side without the proper documentation.

Not hijacking the post, just wanted to quick share my experience. I was in American Narrows fishing on Rainy and had the OPP stop me, shake down my boat, do a breathalizer, give me the riot act. I showed them as we sat on my GPS I wasn't in Canada, didn't matter. They pulled out their paper map and said "you're close". They still gave me a real hard time. There was a young cop in the boat, so I think I was a training excercise for him, at my expense. Never felt so vioated. He said they have a 500 ft incident range each side of the line? We weren't an incident though, just fishing peacefully. Didn't get a ticket or anything, just a 20 minute waste of my time for some Canadian cowboy.

OK, back to Rainy River fishing. Heading up 4/4- 4/6. can't wait.

I read here in past years that you were able to navigate on the Can side of the line just not fish on the Can side of the line without proper paperwork. Just as long as you don't touch the shoreline and navigating up or down the river. Does anybody have any input to that assumption? In the original post that was described as to have being the reason for the MNR action, just navigating over the line.

yeah in the busy areas people run the canadian side all the time..never seen any harassment from the mounties for that..just don't fish..I would imagine in their laws they can give out tickets for that but I've never seen it happen..

good luck

Yes, there is a line.

With a MN license you can fish the Mn side only. If you cross that line just driving on the river, you will be tagged by the Canada police.

I go with a MN license and I do not croos that line. I have a gps chip in my GPS that shows the line and I still stay 20 yards or so away from the line.

No need to split hairs on your location and get a nice fat fine from Canada.

They took thier fish, bait and the fine was $1,100.00. It's too bad that it has come to this but I would not even get so close that they could even think you were close to the line.

$125.00 for a GPS chip is far less. I also bring a range finder with when and if the water is low to make sure I am on my half of the river.

Guessing there was more to that story as there are times you HAVE to go into Canadian waters to get around a pack of boats...either that or be given a lot of 1-finger salutes as you motor thru the pack...

Quote:
Guessing there was more to that story as there are times you HAVE to go into Canadian waters to get around a pack of boats...either that or be given a lot of 1-finger salutes as you motor thru the pack...

One thing I hate is when boats slow down to pass. No better way to make the biggest wake possible!

FYI... Anyone taking legal advise from a fishing website, deserves whatever they have coming to them.

I don't know but his dad told me they simply crossed the boundry line and they were NOT fishing unless they lied to thier dad.

I NEVER cross the line, I drive through the pack of boats slowly.