• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Braid of choice

7mm-08

I was thinking of trying some 10lb suffix 832 this year for jigging and throwing small cranks for walleyes. I was kinda concerned about the fading colors i have heard of. So what's your favorite braid and what walleye applications do you use it for?

I like 832 in hi vis green. I think I have 6 lb and I run a fluoro leader. I would recommend running some type of leader line, especially if you have 10lb 832, because if you get snagged, you may break your rod before the line breaks.

I would recommend running some type of leader line, especially if you have 10lb 832, because if you get snagged, you may break your rod before the line breaks.

If you get snagged, DO NOT use the rod. Point the rod strait at the snag, grap the spool and just gently pull back. Something cheaper than your rod and reel will give.

I run 30lb 832 on my bottom bouncer rods and the bottom bouncers do get wedged in the rocks. I have never broken a rod or reel getting them out that way. Usually the swivel will give was first, and I use good swivels!

"If you get snagged, DO NOT use the rod. Point the rod strait at the snag, grap the spool and just gently pull back. Something cheaper than your rod and reel will give."

Wonderful advice. I just about puke when I see someone bending their rod half over on a snag. :-) (especially if it's one of mine).

Are you using it on spinning reel or casting reel?

I like the 832 in diff diameters on casting but have had much better luck on spinning reel with the 'fused' type braids. They don't seem to fade or wear out as fast, and are great in cold weater. And you can go lighter than you think. One size under what I would with mono. Jigging with the stuff is amaizing.

Most of the true braids are going to color fade. I'm not out there for a fashion contest or color coordinating so it hasn't really bothered me too much. Although I put hi viz on few rods for a reason so it would be nice if it stayed that way.

I'm a power pro guy. I agree most braids will fade.( not big deal to me) I used 2/10 red on my jigging rod, with a flouro leader. Love that set up.

get a chunk of dowel rod and put some grip tape on there to break snags.

832 fades worse than PP, but other than it turning your fingers a little green, meh, who cares.

Personally, i prefer 832. And that's after years of using PP.

8 lb power pro has been great for me. I use it for jigging and casting small cranks like mentioned. I also use it for jigging crappies under certain conditions.

I have used the dowel method when cat fishing and get a snag with 80 pound PP. Works great.

I could really care less if the color fades. I do use 1 rod that I like to see the line but it has not faded that bad that I cannot see it yet.

Are you using it on spinning reel or casting reel?

I'm going to use it on a spinning reel. Also the color thing really isn't a big deal either just bugs me a little. for those that use braid what is your preference for a spinning reel specifically?

I use bait casting reels on my BB rods. I use the same method on my spinning reels to get unstuck.

I've used 2, power pro and spider wire. i noticed sider when twisted i can see in between the weaves plus its more prone to fray, on the line itself and alot on tag ends, power pro I've never noticed any fraying on the tag ends but it does fray a little on the line itself but it usualy stays the most "slick" and when twisted it still stays tight and you wont be able to see the thread weaves, they will always fade in color but it has never changed my catchability. I;d go power pro unless anyone can suggest the perfect braid in terms of never fraying or fading in color, better yet disapears like fluro in water

Are you guys using fluorocarbon leaders when you are castings cranks as well on a spinning rod? Or are you just tying direct?

I like 10lb suffix metered braid + you can troll with out a line counter.

For casting I like 8lb Nono-fil. I like the White/crystal. It is the best for line watching.

With floro leader on both. For abrasion resistance and if a big fish like a Northern rolls up in the line the line won't cut in to the fish in a candy cane stripe pattern. It doesn't just cut into hands when pulled tight.

I have used the dowel method when cat fishing and get a snag with 80 pound PP. Works great.

Yep, cat dudes know the drill. When you get that heavy line snagged there isn't anything else you can do.

Yup hunk of broom handle with some elec tape on it. I've bent many o gammi circle hooks on the MN doing that. 80# is tough!

As far as braid choice I do like Suffix more than PP, but I have both.

As far as fading goes. I use a black permanent marker (sharpie) and cut a slit on the tip then slide the line 18" or so inches. I do this when I'm tying direct (jig/tube) and want the strength of braid and as natural as it's going to get. 2c

I've used power pro for several years on spinning rods. I don't care for it on my muskie rods. I've also tried 832 on some rods the last couple years and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I tried nano-fil on a rod last year for the first time and you might want to try that. The bright white line is very easy to see and it casts better than either power pro or 832. I personally don't like a hi-vis line. I like my line to be more stealth.

Good luck

Well I think I'm going to grab some 832 or power pro, whichever I can find on sale. thanks for all the responses.

"Yep, cat dudes know the drill. When you get that heavy line snagged there isn't anything else you can do."

So do the muskie guys! grin

Fish.

If i'm walleye,and panfishing, then yes.I normally used either 10# or 12# flouro. For bass,( unless the water is very clear) i just darken it with a marker.

I've used power pro for several years on spinning rods.

Good luck

I put 5 lb power pro (1 lb dia) on a spinning reel (for vertical jigging) a couple years ago and it became a wind knot disaster in a short time!! Have used heavier braids including power pro on spinning reels with good results but no more 1 lb.

"Yep, cat dudes know the drill. When you get that heavy line snagged there isn't anything else you can do."

So do the muskie guys! grin

I once dragged what was around a 20' trunk of a tree from one bank to another when i snagged it with 40# PowerPro once... It was a long slow struggle... but eventually I got my lure back laugh

Try wrapping your line around a cleat and letting the wind or trolling motor break you free. Less chance of a mishap than if you're pulling on a line that breaks free and sends you for a swim.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always been happy with PP that I haven't really tried anything else. I really need to try some 832 this summer though!

For those who use nanofil how is the sink factor on that stuff? Thinking of putting it on my pitching jigs and swimbaits rod but I like how flouro sinks and seems to keep a straighter line to feel bites.

I see no reason to switch away from Power Pro. I use it anywhere from 6# to 80#. With the exception of catfish/sturgeon, i've always got either 6# or 10# Pline Flourocarbon as a leader tied on with a Uni-Uni knot.