• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sauk Centre Area Fishing Reports

I was out checking ice yesterday and it is still spotty on most of the lakes for vehicle but very good for ATV/ snowmobile travel. I drove onto Sauk Lake from the Hwy 71 bridge yesterday and drove clear up to Hooper's. There was a bunch of vehicles traveling to Hooper's but not past with vehicles. If you do drive on be sure to stay on the road that is being used by the trucks. There is a solid 12" of ice with some slush in spots but nothing worth worrying about. There is an ice heave just before you get to Hooper's but where the road crosses it is good ice and the heave has laid down at that spot. There are plenty of big houses out on Hooper's and is about the only spot on the lake that vehicle travel has been happening. Good luck and stay safe.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SunnyCrappieDay

• spear foot 1

• Sifty

• TrapMan13

Also I did get my big house out yesterday on Sauk Lake and fished from 2-6. The bite was really slow with only 1 crappie bucketed and 1 walleye that got off at the hole. Reports have been good coming off Hooper's but there was a bunch of activity on the ice yesterday with trucks and fish houses being put out. I also was told that the eyes are going on the north end of the lake in front of the Red Barn but have not tried it myself.

• 2 weeks later...

The fishing has been good. There are roads plow on the north end of the lake and from Highway 71. Hoppers, the red barn and out past the diamond point narrows are all producing crappies. I was out two nights ago and we caught two limits of crappies from 6pm- 10pm. When we left there were still fish on the locator.

Yeah fishins not to bad. Plenty of crappies for e everyone! Had about 2 hours to fish tonight so I birch tonight on a tip . Nothing to write home about but had 9 11/13" crappies... Get there! smile

What are the ice conditions on Sauk Lake like? Can you get around or is there lots of slush and snow. Looking at maybe coming up to the cabin this weekend. Any help would be great.

The ice conditions are good. I personally have not found any slush on the lake but Fletcher's has some really nice roads plowed on the lake. Fishing has been good. This cold front hurt the crappie bite a bit but if you put in your time you got your fish. This weekend should be really good with the weather getting nice again. There are a few walleyes mixed in with the Crappies off of hoppers but no reports of walleyes on the north end yet. Good luck.

The north end will produce a few walleyes after dark. This big boy was from Friday night at 6:30 in about 29 FOW. Tons of crappies and its nice to get a few of these guys mixed in. Crappies on average are 8-9" with maybe 1 out of 20 fish are over 10". Heck of a fun time tho catching that many full-42056-41182-image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

People crack me up, reading threads about how the Sauk lake crappies are on the small side of 13" and are not worth their time. I must say if you are an avid fisherman and can truly say for this area of the state that a crappie 10-11" is not worth your time then my hats off to you. The crappies sizes are not like the 1990's anymore. Then crappies under 12" were little. Yeah they can run on the smaller side but like anywhere you go you have to pick through them.

Well on the lighter side... The fish are still hitting pretty good off hoopers. I have found getting out away from the group produces some larger fish. Good luck

CrappieSunnyDay... Can you help me with finding Hoopers? I'd like to try coming out there for a day. Because it's nearly a 2 hr drive, I'm lookin to come out probably for just a day this season just so I can say I've been there. Thanks in advance!

if you go off the 71 access follow the plowed road close to a mile, it will be a pretty tight grouped bunch of houses, thats hoopers

Well in that case I don't know how anyone measures their fish... The small side of 13"... Not even close. Small side of 11". Getting closer.... 10".... Some. 9" and less.... Generally. 13 inches.............. Ha! Crazy people.

• 3 weeks later...

I was out this last week again on Sauk. The roads are in good shape but have not tryed venturing off of them much. The fishing has still been good off of hoppers, have not heard of much from the north end of the lake. Fish away from the crowd on hoopers and the fish size goes up but the fishing is tougher. Good Luck

Trust me smile I wouldn't recommend traveling to far off the road. I blazed my own trail off the plowed road over to kesslers Bay Area... 3.5 hours of digging with a collapsible p.o.s. Shovel and I finally made it back to the plowed road. smile needless to say, I didn't even get a hole drilled! Wheelers seem to be fine though, they sit up on the hard snow but my vehicle didn't ! Ha

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Headed out to Sauk this weekend off of Hooper's. The bite has been slow all around but hoping for some action.

I was talking to many of people and the DNR are netting carp out of the lake. From what I hear it is quite the operation with tractors and massive nets. If they continue netting through the weekend it might be pretty cool to drive out and check out the operation. Hopefully this year they hit the jackpot and get a large number of carp out of the lake.

Good luck fishing and will update on how the bite goes.

Fishing was slow but managed a few Crappies, NOT on Big Sauk though! Caught a 13" slab and kept a few others for the frying pan. Pretty slow weekend with a lot of jumping around but couldn't have asked for nicer weather to be sitting on a bucket in the middle of the day. full-36560-52387-13.jpg

• 1 year later...

Plan is to head out Sunday to check ice on Sauk Lake. Have not spoken to anyone around the area but rumor is the lake is buttoned up and making ice. Any reports out there with ice thickness?  

Saw a spear house on the west side of the Narrows on sunday already, the block by their house looked like a good 4in thick.

Houses popping up around the lake. Few more spear houses near the narrows and on the north end. Also a large wheel house and wheeler out on the humps west of Diamond Point. Got the itch for big house fishing. 

• The title was changed to Sauk Centre Area Fishing Reports