• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HSO Cool Cats 2013

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Borch

• DTro

• Rick G

• NKLCOLT1911

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Mmmmm.... Cat balls and Chili....

I'm sure to brew up a batch of beans , so count me in . Hope to make a weekend out of it if I get my hands on a wheelhouse as well.

I'm sure to brew up a batch of beans , so count me in . Hope to make a weekend out of it if I get my hands on a wheelhouse as well.

You guys are in for a treat as Papagrumps beans are the second best I have ever had with Icehousbob's taking first.

you must have ESP, i was just thinking about those beans yesterday... must be a fat kid thing to think about food as much as i do

since there is going to be chili and beans i can bring corn bread muffins or is someone else bringing them?

Sounds good Brett!

I can't wait!

Thinking about trying to make it out. Been watching these "Cool Cats" threads the past few years but either something comes up or the ice is dicey. I've never been to the chain or catfishing before. Just wondering if I could drive my F150 from the "Winter Access" to the "Meth Hole" or if people just use ATVs/Sleds?

At this point it looks good for vehicle travel. Sounds like a good cold snap ahead of us. Hope to see you there.

Thanks Eric and Rick.

Could still use a couple trash cans with bags, fillet knives, cleaning boards and plastic utensils.

Why's it called the methane hole?

Because methane gas bubbles up from the lake bed and causes enough turbidity to keep an open hole in the ice all winter.

Because methane gas bubbles up from the lake bed and causes enough turbidity to keep an open hole in the ice all winter.

Oh, nice... lol

I'd kind of like to try to catch a cat through the ice. I'll have to see what's up that weekend.

Thanks for the info and I am still planning on coming. I can bring a trash can, I have an extra, trash bags also! Super excited. There will be two in our group. Where do we meet at?

We're meeting at the Methane hole that is marked on the map at the beginning of the thread. I look forward to seeing you there.

Just wanted to mention that low light periods have been better to us the past couple of weeks. In past years gatherings it has been pretty consistent that those that got there early and stayed late, usually had the best success.

However, every year not only have we caught enough during the first few hours for a nice fish fry, but there is always at least one group that ends up on top of the school and has a blast all day long.

It might also be wise to pick up a tub of chicken liver, last weekend the liver outfished the pinched minnows probably 10-1.

To fish liver, keep it frozen or semi frozen and then cut nickel to quarter size chunks with a sharp knife and then hook them on in that solid state. They will stay on the hook better frozen. Check your bait often after that as every bite or set of the hook, you will lose it.

Just wanted to mention that low light periods have been better to us the past couple of weeks. In past years gatherings it has been pretty consistent that those that got there early and stayed late, usually had the best success.

However, every year not only have we caught enough during the first few hours for a nice fish fry, but there is always at least one group that ends up on top of the school and has a blast all day long.

It might also be wise to pick up a tub of chicken liver, last weekend the liver outfished the pinched minnows probably 10-1.

To fish liver, keep it frozen or semi frozen and then cut nickel to quarter size chunks with a sharp knife and then hook them on in that solid state. They will stay on the hook better frozen. Check your bait often after that as every bite or set of the hook, you will lose it.

Good info Darren. One of the reasons we have bumped up the start time a bit. Also a good idea to bring a fishing towel/rag especailly when fishing with chicken liver. Even frozen it's kind of messy but worth it when that's what they want.

Also a good idea to bring a fishing towel/rag especailly when fishing with chicken liver. Even frozen it's kind of messy but worth it when that's what they want.

And some hand soap to wash the liver off your paws before you eat wink

And some hand soap to wash the liver off your paws before you eat wink

Why would you want to do that? For those that don't know, the Livers are appetizers to the main meal. grin

025640x480.jpg

027640x480.jpg

Great how to video Darren.

Thanks!

we r thinking about comming just gotta a few questions

is this event a kid frendly event?

and dose the ice look good for a suburban and a 8x20 castle?

Absolutely a kid friendly event. If you have them, please bring them.

Ice conditions, I have no idea. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this one.

and dose the ice look good for a suburban and a 8x20 castle?

I don't know anything about the meth hole area but I was on long lake last Saturday and there was about 12" of ice.

I don't believe I said the V word one time in that video. But you just did. grin

and yes I might have tossed in a TWSS....

i lke to have 15 to pull my house with my truck but i can pull it with my wheeler if there is 12 if nothing else i can use portables sounds like we will be there me the wife and our 3 kids and my dad sounds like he is commng possibly the brother in law also

i am not shure what to bring i will give it a few days and see what everyonje else is bringing or if anyone has any suggestions let me know