• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hutch Area Fishing Reports by Great Day on the Water Guide Service

We have been catching walleyes and pike flat-line trolling Rapala Floating Minnows and Flat Raps in five to seven feet of water on sand and gravel flats. Fish are located near the top of the first break and crusing weed edges on flats. Should be a good bass opener this weekend. Expecting to find bass, walleyes, and pike in similar areas. Will report on weekend techniques and results next week. Be safe--see you out there somewhere.

5/27/12

Typical, crummy weather for Memorial weekend. Trolled cranks for walleyes Saturday evening before and during some rain. Caught two walleyes and two smallies on #13 Floating Rapalas and #11 Jointed Rapalas in 5-6 feet of water. Casted spinnerbaits, X-Raps, and jigs with Power Minnows for bass on Sunday morning in windy conditions. Caught largemouth, smallmouth, and walleyes, but had to work hard for them. On Lake Washington both days. The water is very murky, probably from all the rain/run-off lately. Good luck, stay safe, and I'll see you out there somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

6/19/12 Lake Washington

Trolled up eight walleyes on Flat Raps and Floating Rapalas early, and then caught several nice largemouth and smallmouth bass casting crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and X-Raps late morning. Walleyes were all 15 to 20 inches, caught bass up to four pounds.

• 10 months later...

Opening Weekend, 2013, Lake Washington

Cold temps and brutal winds welcomed the new fishing season. At least the lakes around Hutch are ice free. We caught only one walleye and one pike on Lake Washington, but we caught thirteen smallmouth and three largemouth bass. The bass all went from two to four pounds. We caught all species of fish in four to six feet of water on Rapala X-Raps in Pink and White and Orange and Chartreuse. Fish were very sluggish, so we used long pauses between subtle jerks, and the strikes all came on the pause. Water temp. was 52 degrees on Saturday and 50 degrees on Sunday. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

• 3 months later...

September has arrived. With it should come cooler temps, lower dew points and sun angle, and some great fishing and hunting opportunities. Fish should start to school up and feed heavily (if the air temps do cool so the water temps cool as well), and early goose hunting, small game hunting, and later duck hunting will be underway as well. Later in the month we should be able to enjoy these outdoor activities with brilliant fall colors as a backdrop. Get out and enjoy!

full-29555-36334-septembercover_082.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys, I will be signing off for fishing reports until the ice is thick enough. My boat has sold--I will be ordering a new one around the holidays--and duck hunting begins this weekend, so the rods are put away and the shotguns are out. Check for waterfowl hunting reports on the duck and goose hunting forum, and I will begin posting ice fishing reports in December. Have a great fall.

• 8 months later...

5/26/14 Happy Memorial Day Weekend and thank you to all who have served our country.

Fished Washington on Saturday evening. Casted for bass for a while and then tolled for walleyes. Caught largemouth and pike casting spinnerbaits in and around pencil reeds. Bass are bedding and a bit tricky to find and entice. Caught walleyes and pike long-line trolling Flat Raps and Original Floating Rapalas over sand flats. Silver and firetiger both caught fish. Bass bite should get better as the bedding ends and the fish start to congregate in the developing weeds out from the bedding areas. Walleye bite should be good early, late, and at night for a few weeks yet. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

full-29555-46103-dscn0441.jpg

full-29555-46104-dscn0433.jpg

Thanks Troy! I have spent my time in the Annandale area catching mid sized bass, now it's time to move south.

• 2 weeks later...

6/14/14

Fished an area lake on Friday morning scouting for a guide trip next Thursday. Caught numerous largemouth, smallmouth, and pike on outside edge of a developing weedline. Caught most fish on crankbaits, had four walleyes follow cranks up but not hit them, and a few on spinnerbaits. Good average size for all the fish. Water is warming on all the area lakes, and the bite is getting started on several. Look to the newly developing weeds on the shoreline flats for all species right now. Can fish them about any way you like. I like crankbaits along the weed edge because they will catch all species of game fish. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

full-29555-46654-dscn0487.jpg

full-29555-46655-dscn0488.jpg

6/21/14

Guided all day on Stella on Friday. Nice day, but fishing was a little slow after a week of storms. No walleyes, just two follows, and no smallies. We did catch six pike including a couple of 34 inchers, and six largemouth, including a 19.5 incher. Good size for all of the pike and bass made up for low numbers. Crankbaits cast along weed edges in 9 to 12 feet of water. Great day on the water with great company.

full-29555-46857-dscn0493.jpg

full-29555-46858-dscn0492.jpg

Fished with my Dad on Washington on Saturday. Beautiful morning on the lake again, but a little slow again. Low numbers, but nice size again. One 31 inch pike, two 18 inch largemouth, and one 20.5 inch smallmouth. Slip bobbers with leeches fished along cabbage weeds in 7 to 10 feet of water.

full-29555-46859-dscn0496.jpg

Mrpike1973 here, Thanks cannot even say how much fun my wife and I had on our trip friday with Troy. We learned a lot and my wife is showing a picture of her bass like its a new born baby picture. We learned more in 8 hours than i could learn in a life time. we already put our new learning to the test and did great this weekend on our own. If you ever want to learn a lake or just want to learn methods I would recommend Troy great fun and a pleasure for both of us thanks again Troy!! Brent and Kim

6/30/14

Fished an area lake this morning until it started raining. Slow bite. We caught one each walleye, pike, and smallmouth and two largemouth. Good average size, at least. Water on this lake was not too high, and no signs up about no wake. The other two boats from the landing and the four that came off of docks all were running full throttle. Small enough lake we took it easy and made less wake than the waves from the wind. Good luck, stay safe, and I will see you out there somewhere.

full-29555-47076-dscn0499.jpg

The word at the Darwin Outpost is that the walleye and bass bite was going well on Stella a few days ago, but I'm sure that can change in a hurry. I've been in the Annandale area where the numbers are, but the size isn't. I'm hoping to migrate to the Darwin area soon. Thanks, Troy.

Any ideas as to locations (depth/bottom content) for finding walleyes on stella?

Thanks

7/3/14

We fished Stella again today and got a couple eyes, a couple pike, and several largemouth. All nice fish. We caught the largemouth, one eye, and one pike on spinnerbaits over the tops of weeds in 7-9 feet early in the day. Then we switched to trolling crankbaits (#7 Shad Rap and a Minnow Rap) along a weed edge that was in about 11-12 feet. Caught one eye and one pike doing that. Focus up in the weeds early with spinnerbaits, spoons, or shallow cranks over the tops, then hit the deep weed edge later and cast or troll cranks, or troll a spinner with a Gulp! crawler or minnow to avoid feeding live bait to the pannies. 1.5 to 2 mph trolling cranks, or 1 to 1.5 mph with a spinner. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere next week. Up to Mille Lacs this weekend.

full-29555-47161-dscn0502.jpg

full-29555-47162-dscn0505.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

7/22/14

Fished an area lake this morning scouting for an upcoming guiding trip. Windy as heck, even on a small lake. Managed seven largemouth from 16.5 to 19.5 inches, with one large jumper coming unbuttoned. Tried to hold off the tips of weedy points in the wind and worked spinnerbaits over the tops of the weed edge and then slow rolled them down the edge. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

full-29555-47633-dscn0520.jpg

full-29555-47634-dscn0525.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Put your time in on the deep weedline with either casting cranks or dragging leeches and you should catch fish.

Walleyes along the deep weed edge have slowed, but bass are still biting. As said above, you can cast cranks along the deep weed edges. Also, early in the morning, you can still catch some bass casting spinnerbaits or topwater baits (if it is relatively calm) over the tops of the weeds. Good luck!

What kind of cranks do you like to use in the summer and fall in that area. My parents have a cabin in the area and was planning to try cranking

huskie,

You can't go wrong with a Shad Rap, Jointed Shad Rap, or Flicker Shad. This shape catches all species of fish that swim the weed line. For fishing over weeds or along an edge in five feet of water or less, I go with the #5 size. For fishing five to ten feet of water, I go with the #7 size. You will have to experiment with colors, but my favorites are firetiger, crayfish (orange and brown), and a silver/minnow pattern. A green back with a white/silver side is also a great color. If you are specifically targeting bass, then try the Rapala DT series and match the depth you are fishing. Good luck!

Thanks Smuts, I couldnt resist the top water action this weekend with my nephews, their first time throwing top water.

8/5/14

Guided two people out on Stella Monday morning. Good bite. We caught a mix of largemouth up to 20 inches, pike up to 32 inches, 16 inch smallmouth, and 15-16.5 inch walleyes with a nice crappie added in. Spinnerbaits over the tops of the weeds early, mostly for largemouth that averaged near 3 pounds, and crankbaits along the deep weed edges the rest of the time for all species. An Orange Shad #7 Flicker Shad was the hot crankbait. Caught 25-30 fish all together with a couple big bass coming unbuttoned on the jump. Good luck and I will see you out there somewhere.

full-29555-48056-dscn0561.jpg

full-29555-48057-dscn0563.jpg

full-29555-48058-dscn0564.jpg