• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New fillet knife suggestions?

I would like to get a new fillet knife and prefer one with a nice sharp point and a good solid backbone but is still pretty thin! I mostly keep Eyes, gills, crappies, and perch for the frying pan. Hoping to get a few suggestions as I have had my Rapala one (which I really like) for quite a while but it has gotten pretty dull! Not really looking for an electric one, but if something works really well for you please mention it!

Once you go electric you will never go back. I cleaned thousands of fish with a regular fillet knife and would bever go back after switching. Takes a little getting use to and trial-error but you will like it.

Matt

lol im just the opposite, ive tried electrics and hate em. I am saving a bit right now to hopefully get my "special" fillet knife from mnfilletknife.com i had a guide on rainy lake that used one of these and i was pretty impressed.

meh. i don't run a commercial operation and I like the art of running a regular knife.

I use a browning knife. it's cheap, maybe 25 bucks, but I like it. Holds an edge decently well. It's got a cork handle that gives it a good feel. I was a rapala knife man for a long time until i switched to this browning knife. I feel like they are pretty comparable as far as blade action goes, but the browning requires less sharpening.

I can't justify an $80 filet knife.

I have used many different knives and approx 6 years ago I purchased a CutCo Fillet Fisherman on the recommendation from a good friend.

I use this knife to fillete all the specie I catch for tablefare.

I also use this knife to debone my deer and cut the meat up.

This knife has a Forever warranty. This means you can buy one, use it until you have no need for it, say give it to a friend or someone in your family and it is still has a warranty forever. This warranty is second to noone.

I also have alot of thier kitchen and steak knives and I am sure, without a doubt you would be happy with this fillet knife.

I have no idea how many fish one can clean before sharpening but it is alot. if you were to drop the knife and break the blade or tip, no worries as you can ship it back to CutCo and they will either fix it if that is possible or send you a knew one.

I broke one of my wife's kitchen knives doing something I should not have been doing and sent it in and a new one was back at our house within 10 days and no charge for anything. Can't beat that warranty.

The sheath that comes with the knife also has a holder to hold the fishes tail while you fillet it. Has a sharpening stone on the backside of the sheath for keeping the blade tuned up. Line cutter also.

The blade is I believe 6" long and can be adjust out to I believe 9 or 10: for a larger fish like a salmon.

Like Bobby stated above, $80 or more is alot for a knife and I said I would NEVER pay that much for a knife of any kind. Well, I would now say I would pay double for this knife if I did not have one and wanted one. I have been that happy with this knife or I should say all of CutCo's knives. Thier steak knives are also an awesome knife.

Take a minute and at least check it out online.

http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=5721

X 2 on the Cutco. Funny story, my daughters boyfriend became a Cutco salesman and we were his first "customer". Sticker shock when he got to the prices, but I bit the bullet and bought the fillet knife (100.00). Awesome knife...they broke up a couple weeks later:)

I would like to get a new fillet knife and prefer one with a nice sharp point and a good solid backbone but is still pretty thin! I mostly keep Eyes, gills, crappies, and perch for the frying pan. Hoping to get a few suggestions as I have had my Rapala one (which I really like) for quite a while but it has gotten pretty dull! Not really looking for an electric one, but if something works really well for you please mention it!

Why not sharpen the one you have, since you like it? Or have it sharpened for a few dollars.

I've commercial fished as a living and I swear by chicago cutlery fillet knives. I grew up in the fish camps around Red Lake and I can attest to the durability of this knife. It is a cheap knife, they cost like 12 bucks. I think they are 7 inches long and are wide. They shine at filletted walleyes. I can get twenty or thirty fish deep before I have to sharpen it. I use a cheapo smiths pull through sharpener the cscs-4 in 1 knife and scissor sharpener. It is nice to use on the fly and very easy to use. And on the milder steeled knives it really works good, like the rapalas.

full-33632-20372-img.jpg

I suggest getting a good electric sharpener. I got mine at Kohls for about 30 bucks. It has a 2 stage sharpening system. First stage is to get the correct angle on the blade if it is really dull. Second stage hones up the edge to get it really sharp. It was suggested by a friend that works at a meet processing plant. They obviously need EXTREAMILY sharp knives. I use cheep rapala knifes and sharpen them about every 2 or 3 times they come out of the dishwasher. Keeps them razor sharp.

I too second the Chicago Cutlery filet knife. I have used them all my life and used to work as a dockboy at a resort and cleaned a lot of fish. The 78S is my favorite.

For the do-it your selfers that would like to build there own knife.

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Check out Wusthof knives as well. Also, personally I would stay away from electric sharpeners with a quality knife. Buy a set of stones and with practice you will be able to shave with every knife you own.

• 10 years later...

I've been through a few cheap ones, and hate it when they won't stay sharp. I sharpen after ever session, but still my old Shimano and Berkeley knives don't hold an edge. Ironically my best one is a really cheap one with a plastic handle, but boy it holds an edge OK. Nonetheless, it's time for a new knife, a life-time knife. So: what are your recommendations? I'm willing to blow some cash on this.