• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

So why don't they split up ?

brittman

The Toms were really talking this morning - both on and off the roost. Had a pair cross a field, then a gravel road, then the field by our little spot in the woods this morning. Because of a crest in the field, we could not see them - only hear them. and hear them we did. A pair gobbling together at our calls, crows, geese - on a string - well so we thought.

The little hen down on the corner of the field thought she was the new cornerback for the Vikes and made a pair of interceptions. tired

This got me thinking ... of all the pairs and those rare trios of gobblers that I have watched, worked, and pulled towards me either with a hen or intercepted by a hen ... where one Tom goes they all seem to go. Without exception ... although I guess I don't know if one coming in alone later may have been paired hours earlier.

Wouldn't you think one would want to sneak or run off immediately ??

Anyone split a pair of gobblers (not jakes) that ended with a successful kill ? For sake of arguement say the split is 100 yards or further.

Clarify that this is splitting them up. I have had hens bring in a pair together. Occassionally with one not leaving with her.

Kinda weird, on my end this was year 1 for me turkey hunting, but connected and I could've called forever and never got that Tom in range or so it seemed, he had his own agenda, I had to intercept the route he was on, he wouldn't come close to the decoy or call, but as soon as I relocated on his route he acted semi interested and fluffed up and came to me, I don't know and I thought lone Tom like this with very few hens around he'd be after a new hen, but not a chance really, he was a wise old veteran, then my father in law connected 5 miles away and his tom came running full bore from nearly a mile away, so something is up with a Toms mood whether he's alone or with the boys.

Unknown Brittman like this morning I saw 4 Toms fluffed to the max, not sure why or what was around, they were really showboating and just a 1/2 mile down the road 1 was gobbling up a storm. Had a big tom at our feeder last night, they were really on the go this AM. I wish I could've messed with the 4 pack to see if I could've called any away from one another or what.