• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Coyote pack attack

harvey lee

I recieved an e-mail from a friend who I gave permission to hunt turkey at our place in North Dakota.

He e-mailed me and said he would call with further details in regards to the coyotes chasing him.

I talke to another that talked to greg and this fellow told me he would let greg tell me what all went down but one coyote bit him in his leg on the back side.

This is crazy. I will post all the details when I get called by greg who got bit.

Ive never hunted em outright but there were a few times in the army where my buddy Occasio and I sure stacked up the coyotes haha, he hunted them quite a bit and said he always had a shotgun with for when they would come in "close and charging"

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Any thoughts of Rabie shots coming his way? frown

Even here in central Minnesota I've heard stories of coyotes coming in to a call growling and ready to go after the hunter. Not sure if they're after the hunter or the "coyote" that they hear howling.

That's why I hate hunting coyotes by myself...you just never know.

One of my hunting buddies had one he ended up shooting point blank while turkey hunting... it was locked in on him... and he had only enough time to swing his 12 ga over his lap and pull the trigger... never got it to his shoulder, dog basically landed at the end of his barrel... ever since, does not matter if it is even the first 5 minutes or deer season, if there is a yote in front of him, it dies...

he actually ended up with two out of this, as the second one was behind him, and he got up and shot it as well...

does not matter if it is even the first 5 minutes or deer season, if there is a yote in front of him, it dies...

That's how we roll around my place, also. The yotes are getting thick here. This makes them a little more bold around humans and the competition is more fierce.

Tom, hope your friend is alright. Has he been to a doc to get checked for rabies and other stuff? Hope so.

Greg called last night but I was at our city counsel meeting and could not take his call.

I am sure he did what he needed to and am waiting for him to call this evening.

Just got off the phone with Gregg and got the whole coyote story.

Gregg was calling turkeys for his daughter and his daughter said look dad, a nice tom is coming in. So as they waited, his daughter said what is that moving in the brush and it was from what Gregg could tell 4-5 coyotes moving in on either the decoys or the live Tom. A few seconds later, he heard something and turned to look and a coyotes was on full run coming right at Gregg and his daughter. Gregg said he barely had time to stand up and his daughter was going to shoot it but it turned hard and ran through the brush.

Now, they move to another location to a field to the west about a 1/2 mile or better away and set up and start to call again. Gregg is calling and he thinks he hears something again and turns to his back side and see a larger coyote on the dead run at him and when Gregg saw it, it was only 3ft from him on the dead run at him. So he tries to roll over and tries to cover his head with his hands and then tries to punch the coyote. Gregg said the coyote's paw hit him and he took a swipe at his pant leg but didn't draw any blood. Gregg said he swung at the coyote a few times and it finally took off.

His daughter was 20 yards away and just caught the end of the comotion. They then packed up and left for the day.

Darn coyote numbers must be up and they must be hungry to go after a human tweice in one day in 2 different locations. He said the second time it was a different coyote as that one had to be a female as it was much larger than the first coyote at the other location.

Maybe instead of a coyote call, a person should be using a turkey call.

Unbelievable! Unfortunately, I know it's true in this case...

That really makes me think about how I'm going to have to behave with my son out there with me. I'd like to think I'd be able to fend for myself, but it scares the heck out of me to think of my little boy getting attacked by those dirty buggers!

but it scares the heck out of me to think of my little boy getting attacked by those dirty buggers!

Yous guys have guns or bows, you have the upper hand.

I agree Scoot, when my wife saw her first cougar there on the road, she was a bit leary about going for a walk by herself but she got over it and just goes with another.

When one turns and see's a yote 3ft away on the dead run at you, not much time to react.

I would guess they were zeroing in on the turkey call for food, maybe for her young.

I might guess they are more aggressive this time of year with young to feed and the fact there are simply way to many of them for the food sources probably.

This winter I am going to get a different trapper up there that can thin the yote population down a bit as you know Scoot, there are way too many of them. The trapper last winter did not do a very good job at all.

a .223 with barnes varmint grenades do the job pretty quick too cool

i too would guess just as you, that they are charging at what they assume is probably a turkey about to be lunch. Maybe the sight of a hunter instead of their turkey gets em goin?! hehe

Yous guys have guns or bows, you have the upper hand.

Sure. However, like I said- I'll think differently about how I behave around my son out there. I'd have never batted an eyelash at the idea of being 50 or 100 yards away from him before hearing this goofy story. Even without a weapon I like my chances against a coyote. However, my little boy wouldn't fare so well against one (or several).

All this being said, there's obviously little chance that a coyote would ever attack me or my son. But, that's probably what the guy hunting turkeys said before last weekend...

Understood.

I've heard a few different times they're much more aggressive and way less shy in the springtime. I'm not sure if this is their mating season or if it's a territory thing or if they're just hungry.

I had two toms coming to my decoys this weekend - another 20 yards and they're in the clear for an easy shot, when one of them started the "cutt, cutt" warning call, and both of them were staring daggers at a spot just down the tree line from me. Then both hoofed it away from me. Though it was weird because neither seemed to have spotted me. But I couldn't see far to my left where they were looking. Sat there for a minute, and here comes a coyote belly crawling along the tree line toward my decoy. He crept out of the brush about 10' off my muzzle. Didn't creep any farther...

Flew a little ways tho.

I have to believe the coyote that came after your friend was keying on the calling, and was probably just as surprised as he was when he confronted a full grown human instead of a turkey. But man...load the drawers kind of moment...

Shoot the coyote every time you get the chance!! they have pups right now and they are very aggressive !You can bet youre gonna save some fawns by taking em out!

We should all get out and do some spring/early summer coyote calling! I'll take the foxpro out within a few hundred yards of a den I found and turn on the fawn bleat! I wanted to save them for next fall/winter for trapping, but I guess I wouldn't mind killing some now.

• 4 weeks later...

for whats its worth here in SD, I have shot and killed 2 coyotes over the years while out pheasant hunting.

They were much closer than I preferred both times.

Getting to be way to many of them and when they have thier young, I am sure food is an issue so they might go after anything. One should shoot all they can and that would cut down on the fawn kills. Darn coyotes, they forget I also would like a few meals of venison. Wish they would feed on the skunks.

Funny you would mention that Harvey, I was out in Wyoming a few years back hunting mulies. The locals told us that the coyote population was extremely high and to shoot any that we saw. The first evening we had a skunk wander within about 75 yards of camp and was heading towards us. The last thing we wanted was for it to wind up inside our tent @ night looking for a warm place to sleep. I shot it. By morning, the corpse was gone. The only thing left was a bunch of coyote tracks and a little blood in the sand.

Woke up to a 'yote standing 50 feet off my patio Wednesday morning. Don't think the neighbors would appreciate the bark of my .223 at 3:30 in the morning. Pretty bold considering there's 3 dogs and 2 meaner than hell cats between us and the neighbors.

Turn up the volume. I took this last fall while packing up to leave an area after bow hunting. I didn't start filming for about 3 minutes. They were about 30yds away and wouldn't back down. After a while I walked right at them to about 20yds and realize there are 5 of them! It wouldn't let me e-mail the whole video at once so I may post another clip of it.