• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012 Fish House Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

Congrats on project completion LRG! The results speak for themselves.

I spoke with the Ice Assault guys at the show about your trailer this past weekend and they were mentioning you had just finished.

For what it's worth, I've got the same truck and pull a 8x16 castle (winch, not Hydro). I found a 1" lifted tongue makes it nice and level for trailering just in case you find you need to pull it a bit higher.

The only bad thing about the 1" lifted tongue, is I have to have someone stand on the bumper if the bed is empty, to hook up the castle as the ball is a bit to high for the tongue stand frown

I'll look for you on the ice this year (assuming we get some!)

Thanks for the info! I'll have to give it a try. I know from the last house it took a couple tries before I got the right hitch height for ideal towing.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lip_Ripper Guy

• BartmanMN

• SnowGuy73

• RiverChuckNorris

Looks great, but I think you left out something rather important. There doesn't seem to be a hole in the bathroom for jigging while you're on the can.

Good catch! I still have one catch cover left, but I haven't decided what to do with it yet...

Absolutely stunning!!! Better looking than most of the ones I saw at the ice show!

Thanks! Not trying to toot my own horn, but I was really surprised at the lack of quality of the houses at the show. They certainly aren't shy about asking a premium price tag for bottom of the barrel materials and workmanship. Obviously there is more attention to detail paid when working on your own, one-off fish house compared to trying to make a profit. I just wonder how many tubes of caulk get used on the average Ice Castle...it has to be 20+.

Looks amazing I an going to start my interior in the next 2 weeks or so. .. I do have a quick question for you. . What are you doing for your sink. ...I am debating putting a sink in and having a house that week draw water from a hole with a pump. .. Then running the drain into another hole.... who'd be nice just for cleaning fish and rinsing dishes off.

Pretty much my plan, except I'm going to contain it to a bucket. I haven't even hooked up the pump yet, and may not. I just wanted to put the sink in to have a place to hold a little water for washing dishes.

I'm curious how that 5400lbs compares to other manufactured houses. Do you or anyone else know?

It'll be pretty close across the board. Everyone pretty much uses 3/4" flooring, .040 aluminum siding, a couple windows, a door, foam insulation, ~1/4" interior finishing, etc. My aluminum roof saves weight vs a rubber roof, but the steel framing is a little bit heavier than wood framing.

I had a 8x16 Lodge with V-Front and ramp door and it was 4100# so for his size I would say that it pretty good

You could cure this by putting a block under the jack.

Congrats on project completion LRG! The results speak for themselves.

I spoke with the Ice Assault guys at the show about your trailer this past weekend and they were mentioning you had just finished.

For what it's worth, I've got the same truck and pull a 8x16 castle (winch, not Hydro). I found a 1" lifted tongue makes it nice and level for trailering just in case you find you need to pull it a bit higher.

The only bad thing about the 1" lifted tongue, is I have to have someone stand on the bumper if the bed is empty, to hook up the castle as the ball is a bit to high for the tongue stand frown

I'll look for you on the ice this year (assuming we get some!)

You could cure this by putting a block under the jack.

I actually do put 2 4x4's under it when I unhook it to park, however, I can't do that when I drop it on the ice for fishing (that I know of)

"This is the controller for our 'outboxes', which are basically heated boxes with electronic rattle reels. Slicker than snot."

So you have exterior rattle reels? How did you set these up, do you have them alarmed into the house? Or are these mobile and they work within a range of the fish house (a more sophisticated tip-up)?

"This is the controller for our 'outboxes', which are basically heated boxes with electronic rattle reels. Slicker than snot."

So you have exterior rattle reels? How did you set these up, do you have them alarmed into the house? Or are these mobile and they work within a range of the fish house (a more sophisticated tip-up)?

Would love to hear more about this as well!!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
It may be inconsistent but I bet it sure smells good. Great work LRG. Pretty neat watching a build like this progress.
cOuntry, not trying to take you to task, but what parts look inconsistent to you? That the boards in the cabinets run in a different direction then the wall boards or what? I'm sure that Lip_Ripper would like to know as well. Thanks. confused

[cOuntry, not trying to take you to task, but what parts look inconsistent to you? That the boards in the cabinets run in a different direction then the wall boards or what? I'm sure that Lip_Ripper would like to know as well. Thanks. confused

Couple of pages ago lip_ripper said that the cedar was hard to work with because it was inconsistent, I think he meant due to knots and grain structure. I'm sure that's all c0untry was referring to, not a rip at all, actually a compliment is how I read it.

Couple of pages ago lip_ripper said that the cedar was hard to work with because it was inconsistent, I think he meant due to knots and grain structure. I'm sure that's all c0untry was referring to, not a rip at all, actually a compliment is how I read it.
Yep, didn't read backwards. Thanks for clearing that up because I think the project looks Great as well! smile

LRG, First of all great work on the house. Looks sweet. I am just about ready to order an ice assault frame. Just looking for some feedback on these frames since there isnt much out there.

Sorry for the confusion leech~~. As ken stated I was, rather vaguely I admit, referring to the inconsistency of the grain and knots. I've made a couple cedar chests for grandparents and cedar can be a real bear at times.

LRG, awesome job! Looks great. Is your ceiling fan 120 volt or 12 volt. If it is the 12 volt, how do you like it. I have been thinking of addind a 12 volt to my house.

I'll take some pictures tonight. These are aluminum boxes with a single mantle propane lantern (for heat and light) and an electronic 'rattle reel' with a magnetic switch for the buzzer inside the house. We run a small cord from each box back to the house, which plugs into one of the exterior outlets. So yes, essentially a sophisticated tip up.

LRG, awesome job! Looks great. Is your ceiling fan 120 volt or 12 volt. If it is the 12 volt, how do you like it. I have been thinking of addind a 12 volt to my house.

It is a 12 volt "Lasalle Bristol" ceiling fan. I did computer fans in the last few houses and they make too much of a high pitched noise for me. This one is totally silent, and moves way more air.

It only takes up about 4" at the motor, but the blades hang down in a really stupid fashion (probably about 8" or so at the tips). The blades are more /\ than ----. The clearance will be fine for me, but I have some friends who are going to have sore heads after a couple cocktails.

Also keep in mind that a fan blade below a light source is going to create a strobe-like shadow. I put switches at my lights near the fan to turn them off. There is probably a 10-12" distance, but it still causes a bit of a shadow.

Right on with the cedar. I found some really good stuff early on, but it was almost impossible to find straight cedar in good shape for the last few things. I ended up going to 1x8 & 1x10's and ripping them down. Menards should be embarrassed by some of their lumber stacks. Barely even firewood quality.

Right on with the cedar. I found some really good stuff early on, but it was almost impossible to find straight cedar in good shape for the last few things. I ended up going to 1x8 & 1x10's and ripping them down. Menards should be embarrassed by some of their lumber stacks. Barely even firewood quality.
Agreed, it's hard to find affortable wood anywhere for a project. I have to say I go to the Nards as well since they seem to be the best of the worst around my place! Hate the sorting! frown

Where did you get the fan at? I did some google searches but keep coming up with just white fans. I can't find any other options. Yet.

I should add that it says it is only 5 1/2" from the ceiling. It seems like way more. I'll measure tonight.

Thanks, LGR. Ceiling height won't be an issue in my shack, it has a vaulted ceiling. I just have to make sure that it clears the vault.

LRG, Accidently deleted your PM. It says your box is full so I cant send you one. Have a few more questions for you!!