Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Lip_Ripper Guy

2012 Fish House Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

Well, here we go! Back by popular demand, I'll be posting the day by day progress/process of building the new fish house.

I'm pretty much finished with all the planning details, and buying of materials. The few details left need to wait until my frame is complete.

Here are some of the details:

Frame-Ice Assault 8'x20' w/3' V front. This will be fully powder coated, hydraulic, with tandem axles. I have a wireless remote setup for this, so it'll go up and down in 10 seconds with a key chain remote.

Wall & Roof Framing-1"x2" 18 gauge steel tube. This lightweight steel is roughly the same weight as wood, but has the advantage of being a lot stronger, and perfectly straight. A huge benefit when it comes time to installing siding. Another benefit is that rather than clamping aluminum sheets and waiting for glue to dry, I'll have instant adhesion from aluminum siding to the metal studs. Siding will be a one day project rather than 4-5.

Roof-I've done rubber in the past, this one will be a one piece aluminum. The weight savings over wood & rubber is about 300 pounds.

Exterior-Smooth aluminum Construction Orange color with diamond plate.

Insulation-Floor and Roof will be spray foam for sure. I am debating on board foam for the walls, to help cut down on the "ripples" caused by the hot spray foam rapidly expanding the aluminum siding.

Interior-The walls and ceiling will be knotty pine, cabinets and trim will be cedar.

Weight-I am targeting 4500#, but it's looking like it could end up a touch under.

Here is the floor plan:

Layout.jpg

And a couple 3D shots:

PassengerExterior.jpg

PassengerExterior2.jpg

DriversExterior.jpg

And the interior:

RearWindow.jpg

The frame should be done around June 1st. Stay tuned!

MJ1657

I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

bgmny

Question about the aluminum roof. Is this a custom one piece deal, or several pieces screwed and caulked like some of the ice castles?

Lip_Ripper Guy

It is a one piece roll of aluminum secured from the underside by 3m VHB tape.

Lip_Ripper Guy

Getting closer! Voyager Aluminum delivered my siding today. They sheared all 15 sheets for me for only $50!

c3e1d5c1.jpg

403bbfc1.jpg

ASMOLEY

Subscribed!

Have you considered in floor heat? I know a guy with the relatively the same size house that swears by it. Might end up over your target weight adding luxury heating thou.

Lip_Ripper Guy

In floor heat could have some potential, but I haven't really looked in to it. Initial thought is that you may have to do a sandwich style floor, which would be pretty heavy. It would also have a really slow recovery time, similar to radiant systems in houses. On a house that the heat could be left on 24/7, it could be the way to go.

randerson

Any progress

Lip_Ripper Guy

I wish! Waiting on a hydraulic pump, amd the frame to be powder coated. Should have everything early July.

mrklean

very cool cant wait to see the finished product

Finlander

Keep the pictures coming! smile

Lip_Ripper Guy

4fad9c22.jpg

While I'm waiting I've been messing around with a Kreg Jig and building test cabinets to see if I'll be able to do my own in this new house. I'm not much of a woodworker (at all), but this Kreg Jig makes things easy. As long as my cuts are good, the jig and clamps pretty much take care of the rest.

7eb01cc8.jpg

I was originally going to put two doors on this one, but decided to do a single after the box was already built. It turned out pretty decent, but I'll need a little better saw work on the real ones.

Eric_Kruger

I LOVE my Kreg Jig......

MJ1657

I like the looks of that Kreg jig.

I looked them up online and thwy offer several different kits. Which one do you guys have?

Eric_Kruger

I believe I have the master system.....

MJ1657

Thanks Eric.

Looks like it could be handy for my wheel house build

CaptainMusky

I believe I have the master system.....
+1000!!!

Love mine. The ability to take the "jig" out and clamp it to any workspace is super nice. I dont use mine nearly enough, but its simple to use and the joints are strong. I believe mine was around $150 but that was a few years ago so memory fades.

Mid-Lake Rock

MJ - whatever happened to the house last season? I remember reading that you purchased one but it kept getting delayed. Have been interested to hear what happened. Thanks.

Harv

Very cool!!!

MJ1657

MJ - whatever happened to the house last season? I remember reading that you purchased one but it kept getting delayed. Have been interested to hear what happened. Thanks.

Had a few hiccups but I did end up getting it. Ended up getting it to late to get it done for last season.

Mid-Lake Rock

Glad to hear that you got it. You seemed pretty excited last year when you ordered. Please post some pictures when you get her ready for the ice.

Lip_Ripper Guy

Frame is being powdercoated now, and should be ready to go next week. I can't wait!

Lip_Ripper Guy

After MUCH delay (this was supposed to be done June 1st), I finally picked up the finished frame yesterday.

2E3A3653-06FB-435A-8D57-2C3646D6AD5D-197

42211C5F-2935-4E5D-B03D-F87ED620540A-197

I kept thinking 20' wasn't that big, but it's huge and barely fits in the garage.

7BAD1729-57EC-4C27-B065-338AFACEE7FF-197

CaptainMusky

Is that thing turbine powered?

Get'n Jiggy

WOW!!! cool