• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was all for the increase but if the DNR is going to waste money on the new stickers lets get rid of the increase. According to the Duluth paper, under the new regs the stickers are not going to be required but you have to take an on-line class and then they will issue a sticker starting in 2015. How many people were trying to find the stickers and what was the cost to print and distribute stickers that are no longer required. Somebody needs to get their act together within the DNR before I like the fee increase.

I have not seen anything discussed about boats coming from another state. Will they have to plan in advance to take the on-line class and wait for their sticker or what and how many out of state people will know about this reg>>>>later the load

Ya the DNR sure screwed this one up. Its going to leave a sour taste in many peoples mouth for a long time to come.

you know this whole sticker thing seems like it could be beneficial, but the way it has been executed, it sure seems worthless. I got my sticker from a friend who picked up like 20 of them when they registered thier boat, no talk, no education, no nothing. 'put this on your boat, and you wont get hasseled by the dnr' was what i was told. poorly planned, and i agree, a waste of resources.

Alright, kind of changing the subject here, but here's my beef with the DNR. I take my 84 year old grandpa fishing once a year. He gets around pretty good for an 84 year old guy luckily, but he certainly doesn't have the ability to take himself fishing. He buys the 24-hour fishing license when we go for the day. The DNR does not give people a free license until they are 90!!! Shouldn't this number be more like 70? Also, the resident and non-resident 24-hour fishing licenses are the same $8.50. I remember not all that long ago it was only $5. I'm not saying my grandpa doesn't have the money to pay for a license, but I just feel the DNR's fees and rules are a little backwards. I'll send an email to the DNR with my thoughts as well.

Ya I figure anyone who has had a license until they were 75 or 80 should get a free one. 90 is a number they chose so they wouldnt have to give too many out Im sure.

90!!! Well i'm sure they'll give away atleast 2 or 3 free license's this yr Haa!

I think the plan to try and the slow the AIS down until they can find a better solution is a great idea.

Now, I rally question the handing out of decals for the boat and then saying wait, let's do something else after they purchased alot of money in the first decals. Not alot of thought went into this.

I do not know if the DNR is at fault for this or the lawmakers so I will hold judgement on whomever until I know exactly.

I did send e-mails to my state reps asking why they waste so much of our tax dollars in regards to coming up with a quick plan and then scraping that one and going to another.

I also have no issue with some of the older fisherman and women getting a free license but I am not sure on the age.

Best bet if one does not like the gae, send your state reps an e-mail or give them a call as they are the ones who can change about anything for the tax payers.

Im sure glad I picked up the Mn lifetime lic when I turned 51,,, with the new increase it will be paid for by the time I hit 68 ,,,,I would recommened any one over 51 buy the lifetime angling lic

Im even thinking about it now and Im only 45. Wish I would have done it when I was a MN. resident. Maybe Ill just get the Wi. lifetime now. Then move back to Mn. in a few years and get one there. grin

I bought the Lifetime license when I turned 50 and the price dropped significantly. That was 10 years ago. I figure when I turn 63 I will break even. If my memory serves me right anyone over 65 used to get a free license. The Federal money MN received was based on the total number of licenses sold so they started charging a $1 or $5 for a seasonal license. Somehow that whole program got dropped and the price was raised to regular rates. As far as I'm concerned anyone who has worked for 45 to 50 years paid taxes and wasn't a drain on other taxpayers ought to get a free license at 65.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my lifetime license the first year they offered it. Got my two boys theirs too right after they were born. I like it! I'm 39 now, it will pay off long before I retire in my opinion.

Now the DNR guys can retire even earlier and have more time to enjoy the outdoors. Typical government logic, Greece and Spain here we come.

Governor signs license fee increase bill(Released May 4, 2012)

The price of Minnesota hunting and fishing licenses will increase in March 2013 for the first time in 12 years, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) said.

On Thursday, May 3, Gov. Mark Dayton signed a House- and Senate-approved bill that, among other things, raises the cost of an annual resident fishing license from $17 to $22 and a resident deer hunting license from $26 to $30. Most resident youth hunting and fishing licenses will be $5 or free. Youth under 16 do not need a fishing or small game hunting license.

License fee increases were widely supported by hunting, fishing and conservation organizations. The last general license fee increase was approved in 2000 and implemented in 2001.

“This action was critical to maintaining the world class fishing and hunting that Minnesota enjoys,” said DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr. “I appreciate all the efforts of the organized groups and the individual hunters, anglers, trappers and others who supported new license prices. I also thank the Legislature for its bipartisan leadership and support on this important conservation initiative.”

Enacting the license fee bill maintains the solvency of the state’s Game and Fish Fund for the remainder of this biennium, which ends June 30, 2013. New revenue will begin to come into the game and fish fund in March 2013. The DNR estimates the fees will generate about $5 million in fiscal 2013 and approximately $10 million per year in following years.

“The fishing and hunting community has spoken that they are willing to pay for good conservation,” said Landwehr. “We will put these dollars to their highest and best use for game and fish management and enforcement. That means providing the results that hunters, anglers and the conservation community are asking for.”

Landwehr said specific uses of new license fee revenues will be proposed in the months ahead as the agency develops a biennial budget proposal that the governor will submit to the Legislature in January 2013

© 2011 Minnesota Department of Natural Resources

Does anyone know how this fee increase will affect non-resident fees?

Now the DNR guys can retire even earlier and have more time to enjoy the outdoors. Typical government logic, Greece and Spain here we come.

If it feels good to say, it's probably ignorant.

I have a couple friends that work for DNR, and the opposite is true. You probably don't want to hear that however.

I have several friends as well who work for the DNR and even more who are police officers, teachers, etc, so its based upon fact not ignorance. I wish them well but if private business operated like the DNR and government in general they would not survive. We have reached a point of no return as the latest statistics show 49.7% of households receive some sort of government check and that does not include those who work for the government like DNR officers, Police officers, Teachers, etc. This is how European nations have found themselves in dire straights. We can't continue this but because people vote with their wallets we will until it implodes. God bless us all.

I do agree the DNR officers can retire too young. Heck we have had 3 retire and then come work for us.

"Now the DNR guys can retire even earlier and have more time to enjoy the outdoors."

Well then if its based on fact I'm curious where your facts are supporting this. Was that in part of the proposals? Retirement age for peace officers is set by state law and their (DNR) retirement plan is the same as any trooper, city cop, etc. They have a retirement plan that is partially funded by the employer, partially funded by the employee, and mostly funded by returns on those investments. You know the 'horrible' changes that state employees in WI just went through? They're still not up to the level of expenses that MN state employees currently pay for their benefits. You ever see a 65 year old cop? No thanks, not what I want my tax dollars going towards; when I call for help, I want someone coming that will help me, not keel over on the way there. And from your comments about cops and teachers receiving a govt check; well who do you think is going to pay them? Or perhaps you are one that thinks they should work for free 'serving' you.

The overall organization of the DNR and other state and federal agencies, along with unchecked political spending, both by and for politicians, is what is killing us, not the low field workers. They make a handy target for pundits and media alike, but take a look at the percentages involved and its a drop in the bucket. Like it or not, we need peace officers, teachers, dnr folk, etc. I'd rather have my dollars pay enough to attract a more competent public employee than the quality of worker we'd get for a discount price. Take a look at the stories released in papers recently. All the outliers, the super executive, top dollar earners. Now why in the hell are they allowed to scam us for those kind of ridiculous benefits, while at the same time running agencies with such backwards policies and wasteful spending. This is why I say you need some facts to get the whole story before sharing an opinion. Many others are too ignorant to do their own research (everything I've stated here is publicly available) and instead they will see what you are expressing and later repeat it as gospel truth, further delaying any solution. If you're a true Constitutional anti-govt type then this will fall on deaf ears. If not, arm yourself with something other than your above ignorant statement and fight for some change.

NL, if they're coming to work with you then they're not retired from the work force. All the 'retired' peace officers I know cannot live on their 'retirement' checks, and are instead moving on to their second career because they are both ready (after 30+ years of dealing with that dump) and forced to leave their line of work by state law. Don't like it? Consider the costs of keeping them around an extra 15 years. No thanks.

I work in private industry so I have seen 70 year old bricklayers,carpenters, and tile setters which is more physical than being a police officer. The 49.7% getting a government check is a fact that was just released and you can google and read the article in the wall street journal. I have three friends who can retire now at 50 as police officer with full benefits. They are paid a decent wage, approx $60k or so plus benefits and each work side jobs for cash at $50 per hour as security. I don't begrudge them but remember they don't even count in that 49.7% number. How can a society function with more people on a government check and working for the government in some capacity than in private industry. Look around the world and you will see its a failed model. Facts are what they are and given people vote with their pocket books this trend will continue until it implodes as its currently doing in Europe. There is nothing that can be done now as again we have pushed past the the point of no return with the majority working or receiving government checks. I feel bad for the next generation as they will bear the brunt of it. Take a look at all the money we throw at education and let me know if you think its improving in quality. Any time we talk about introducing some competition to the public schools through vouchers etc the teachers union throws a fit. They spend a ton lobbying and they usually get their way, look at Gov Daytons latest veto. I hope your right as this train can't be reversed so we are going to watch it all play out. God Bless us all.

oilandwater, well said. This is starting to look like a "rant and rave" section on hsolist.