• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thread on record walleye??

lungdeflator

i have it figured out how they achieved 24" girth. They measured with the dorsal fin fully extended. Easy mistake. LOL

Using metal tape, does not quit work when measuring circumferences. Than they added the 3" for inside measurments.

What ruler again measures in .1 that you can use for measuring the girth.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• Hoffer

• CANOPY SAM

• chris63

Top Posters In This Topic

what would make this story even better would be if someone could sleuth out the exact location from the pict.. only to find out it was caught on the Canada side of the river..

Big Ten that thing is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The piano hinge on the well below is 24". I was alone, she got stuck in the net and I did not want to keep 'er out of the water any longer. THAT is a good excuse for not laying it on a tape. And it would never occur to me to claim is was a record fish, even if the hinge were 35" long.

full-10390-20381-dscn1700.jpg

Big 10

Very nice fish!

With that said, my guess is 31.5 inches (as you stated) and around a 20 inch girth. Weight around 13.5 - maybe 14 pounds.

Using metal tape, does not quit work when measuring circumferences. Than they added the 3" for inside measurments.

What ruler again measures in .1 that you can use for measuring the girth.

Ive never seen one. But, there are things that I have never seen before such as Sasquatch.

Quote:
I can't imagine one person would say I'm not going to hire him because he fudged a bit, or a lot on the size of the fish.

Fudging is one thing. To claim a state record when it is obviously not is a whole different ballgame. There are MANY MANY guides. This goofball would not get my hard earned dollars.

Well, you guys are right on it. Like I stated, it was 31.5" long. Had a legitimate 19 5/8" girth with a soft tape, and it weighed just a hair under 14 lbs on my digital scale which I had checked 2 days prior. Highest it read was 13-15. So I am going to just call it a 14 pounder even though I don't like it when people exaggerate. LOL.

I have been lucky to catch, see, hold, measure, and/or weigh many walleyes in my lifetime that are in the 9-13 pound range prior to catching this one. People might get upset with me for saying this, but DTro is right on regarding girth. Can we all agree that the Red River/Lake Winnipeg system turns out some of the thickest walleyes around? I have personally measured around 75-80 walleyes over 28" in that system, and prior to this fish, I had never ever seen a legitimate girth over 18 3/4".

And as luck would have it, a very well respected local guide up there echoed my observations regarding girth when we discussed this very topic one day prior to my catching this fish. This man has seen many hundreds of 28+ inch fish in that system and he had never seen one that was actually measured at any more than 19 inches either to his recollection. Interestingly enough, he had a client catch one thicker (and longer) than mine a couple weeks later.

Hearing that from him was all I needed to hear to know that I wasnt going insane, because honestly I was starting to think my soft tape must have been missing a few inches, judging by some of the online pics with girth info included. I got ripped for saying this a few months ago in another thread, but I will stick by my guns......an 18+" girth walleye is one fat S.O.B.....but they do exist, not denying that. I'm just saying that they are exceptional fish, not the norm.

I'm sure DTro or anyone else who has seen walleyes which are approaching the mid-teens would tell you that in person they really don't even look like a walleye. There is a huge difference in appearance between a 12 to 12.5 pounder and a legitimate 14 pound fish. This one looked like someone hooked up the bike tire pump and stuck it in the fish. Although the picture of me holding it turned out very nice I think, the fish looks very clean, which it was.

Anyway, thanks for looking at the pics, I usually dont post that stuff but I thought it was relevant in this discussion.

Hopefully my last post doesn't come across the wrong way...thats not the way I intended it to be if so.....

Just stating my observations.

Hopefully my last post doesn't come across the wrong way...thats not the way I intended it to be if so.....

Just stating my observations.

I was thoroughly offended by your last post and have now put you on my ignore list! eek

Just messing with you.

That was a tremendous fish you caught and based on your experience I would definitely take your word for your reasoning. Heck, a 24" girth on a musky is a rarity and those fish can hide their girth a lot better due to their length.

The pics of that fish do not even come close to representing the size it would need to be to match those measurements.

Just got done reading this thread from the beginning. After initially viewing the picture of the alleged record walleye, something my Dad used to utter came to mind.

"Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see"

This person has to live with his belief whether it is accurate or not. If indeed he does read any of the scrutiny to this hallowed (State Record Walleye)subject, perhaps he has learned to implement indisputable evidence and employ mature judgement before making future claims.

Big Ten

I dont think there was a thing in your post that could offend.

You just spoke the truth and relayed personal observations and accurate facts. I liked the post.

BTW, what is my prize for guessing the girth and weight pretty much right on for both!! (unless you are measuring with a ruler that has a scale of .1 for length and using milligrams as your weight scale) smile

Maybe a trip up to where you live and guide service for those big greenbacks?? grin

Thanks for contributing BigTen, I think it helped the discussion quite a bit.

Am I the only one that thinks the "record" fish looks like it has been out of the water way too long?

The side of it's head appears to be all dried out.

Not to be a pessimist, but I doubt that fish is even alive..........poor thing will never make it to 20lbs now!!! LOL

Yeah I noticed something funky too - but thought it might be the photo or something? But good point.

Anyone want to take a guess at the length and girth of this one? I know the pictures are hard to judge. It was my first trip to the Rainy and when I caught this I was more worried about getting measurements and getting it back in the water. I was pretty disappointed when I seen the pics.

DSCN0547.jpg

DSCN0548.jpg

DSCN0549.jpg

Just for fun, any guesses on the girth of this fish?

a few data points to help you out........I am 6'5 and 275lb with 2 or 3 sweatshirts on (fishing outside). The fish was just a touch over 31.5" long.....fish is being held normally, no long arming.

Second picture is of the fish laying by a 10" hole prior to releasing it.

If you click on the pics to enlarge them, they are a little clearer, as they are higher resolution pics.

For what its worth, the fish Ed Carlson posted a few years back was a monster, but the girth of 24 inches was nothing more than a guess. They did not measure it. I think its possible that virtually nobody has seen a walleye with a legit 24" girth, but that's just my opinion.

full-12798-20377-bigfella1cropped.jpg

full-12798-20378-2_5_12bigfella3.jpg

Although I assume possible this day and age, I just have not researched the process. Length allows you to gauge a 2D aspect. Girth brings in a 3D aspect and even tougher, there is nothing to go on which is right at the depth of the fish. Too much math involved right at the moment for me to even grasp an approach. grin

We are just better saying "That's a monster eye and cool fish". wink

Quote:
I'm sure DTro or anyone else who has seen walleyes which are approaching the mid-teens would tell you that in person they really don't even look like a walleye. There is a huge difference in appearance between a 12 to 12.5 pounder and a legitimate 14 pound fish. This one looked like someone hooked up the bike tire pump and stuck it in the fish. Although the picture of me holding it turned out very nice I think, the fish looks very clean, which it was.

+1 on the above.

About 52.5 inches?

Wow - you're an silly-me. Darren - submit that channel - I think that may be a new World Record!