• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How long before Gardy is gone?

Rippinlip

Gardy is the main reason they are doing a little bit better. If Gardy was let go, this team would be worse for sure. Right now I do not know what coach could do any better with what we have.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greebs

• Musky Buck

• harvey lee

• B. Amish

actually, it's probably the schedule makers that should get the most credit for how this team is performing right now.

I'm taking partial credit. Been to to four games at the new stadium and haven't seen a loss yet. Tried out Legends Club yesterday for the first time. Don't need to bother searching for tickets anywhere else for future outings. That section is righteous.

It's just another masterful job of coaching by Gardy! Not sure why anybody is surprised he's plain and simple the BEST when it comes to making something happen with very little to work with.

Quote:
That section is righteous.

No doubt, keep eating those Lucky Charms Bryce!

grin

I wonder who is making the call to send who down and bring who up?

They deserve the credit

I was just thinking of you Sled.. what in the world happened to Danny V? Thats just so disappointing to say the least. I was hoping for a monster break out year out of him and POOF he's gone.

Before anyone gets too giddy at the Twins' recent improvement, look the who they've been playing - the absolute dregs of the baseball world (in other words, the few teams even worse than the Twins are).

Let's wait to see if MN can play well against good competition, then we can talk about next steps.

Full credit to Scott Diamond and some of the other call-ups for playing well, though, regardless of the level of competition. If they can identify a few pieces to the puzzle this season, add a few pieces via free agency, and have Miguel Sano and a couple other prospects develop...we could be looking at a legitimate contending team by 2016 or so.

I thought that is how you get to win....beating up on the lessor

opponents. ??

They had last years end of the season lineup on the radio last night

included..

Jason Repko

Brian Dinleman

Matt Tolbert

Luke Hughes

Rene Tosoni

Rene Rivera

Nishi

There seems to be a little better line up this season, and

even Drew Butera has raised his average some.

Much better bullpen.

I thought that is how you get to win....beating up on the lessor

opponents. ??

They had last years end of the season lineup on the radio last night

included..

Jason Repko

Brian Dinleman

Matt Tolbert

Luke Hughes

Rene Tosoni

Rene Rivera

Nishi

Man, I got a shiver (not the good kind) when I read that line up. That's downright ugly. And you are exactly right...the mark of a good team is beating the teams you are SUPPOSED to beat, and playing as best you can against the rest. We are doing that right now. All I know is I have a lot bigger smile today than this time last year...

We have a long way to go, but let's not take anything away from what is happening right now--we are playing good ball and closing the gap in what is still anyone's division. The Tigers aren't running away with it as predicted, CLE is on the drop, and I think CHI will chill out, too. If we can find any kind of stable starters (aka, someone not named Scott Diamond), we have a chance to turn some heads this year as we already have an offense that is competitive when they play as they have been. World Series? I haven't drank THAT much kool-aid, but I think we have a shot to climb up the ladder a bit. I'm not counting them out just yet...

• 2 months later...

Time to fire up this thread again.

Gardy is a nice guy and all but I think the reality is that one of two things needs to happen with this team. They pick up a bunch of new talent or they find a new guy that can do something better with the current talent. We all know which is the easier option here. I honestly don't know who that new guy should be but strongly believe it is time for a change.

Three things that we know about gardy. His teams generally will beat teams with lesser talent. His teams generally lose to teams with better talent. When they play teams of similar talent, his individual game coaching is generally lesser than the opponents.

Realistically is there any other organization out there where he wouldn't be gone following two seasons like this and last year? Guaranteed if this were the vikings ownership, he would be long gone. Like I said he's probably a nice guy and all but it's time for a change. He said in spring training he liked this team. How many fans like this team?

Quote:
Three things that we know about gardy. His teams generally will beat teams with lesser talent. His teams generally lose to teams with better talent. When they play teams of similar talent, his individual game coaching is generally lesser than the opponents.

That about sums it up. His miserable track record in the playoffs speaks volumes.

Our pitching in AAA must be horendous if they can't rid the team of Blackburn for something better.

With that said, I would personally boot Rick Anderson and the training staff to the gutter long before Gardy.

Our pitching in AAA must be horendous if they can't rid the team of Blackburn for something better.

Ya think????

That and our owners are money hoarders that have no interest in spending to make the team better. They would rather have a mediocre to pi$$ poor team and make 100 million in profit then have a playoff team and make 50 million in profit, thats always been the "twins way"

So let's fast forward to next year.

Starting rotation; Baker, Pavano, Diamond, Deduno, Devries, Hendricks and Duensing. Pick 5 of the 7.

Position players will remain about the same.

Do you really think Gardy can take us to the promised land?

I like Gardy, but have seen too much coddleing and ok, ok, ok with him.

Like stated earlier his post season track record........stinks.

If our ownership will not spend millions on players, maybe less on a coaching staff.

Otherwise we better hope for our World series years when we went from worst to 1st! I can see more years like the past 2 coming up. frown

Quote:
Do you really think Gardy can take us to the promised land?

Yes, if any skipper can, Gardy can!

So let's fast forward to next year.

Starting rotation; Baker, Pavano, Diamond, Deduno, Devries, Hendricks and Duensing. Pick 5 of the 7.

frown

Yuck! Pick any ol' skip!!! That starting line up blows. No skipper is gonna make a contender with those starters! Looks like the cellar again if that is all we can muster.

I'd hope Pavano is gone, I'd hope hendricks is gone, I'd hope Duensing is gone, Baker no way... Hope Gibson is ready.

Ugggghhhh...

Good Luck!

Ken

There is a good chance that both Baker and Pavano will be gone, they are in the option year for $9 mil each. Ain't gonna happen.

The rumor is that Ryan told the top boys he needs at least

one level A starter and at least one level B starter.

With Capps gone too, there should be a little dollars available

for a couple decent starters..that would make Diamond the number

3 starter and go from there. No guess where the 4 and 5 starters

will come from though.

Too bad that Parmilee can't play 2nd or 3rd base.

They would rather have a mediocre to pi$$ poor team and make 100 million in profit then have a playoff team and make 50 million in profit

I hope someday I have the ability to choose between a world series or 50 million dollars.

I'm going to walk away with heavy pockets.

Regardless, available pitching talent just plain isn't easily available, heck in the past few years it seems that signing a pitcher has been more of a pull on the slot machine than usual. "Good" pitchers doing poorly with plenty of surprise standouts has made baseball interesting for some fans and very frustrating for others.

I think Gardy retires after this season.

He sounds beaten down. Day after day we hear from him about the players not executing on the field. How can he defend them the way they've played.

Payroll won't get better next year so how will the execution listed above get better?

The current team leaders pay wise do not seem like leaders. Mauer is doing better this year but he doesn't seem like a leader. Mornoe is still on a comeback. These are the team veterans?

Looking at the prospects that have been laid out here, the future looks dim. How many years does Gardy have left and of those, is there a hint of a future with this team?

Might be time to throw in the towel and enjoy his 200hp Nitro on a real lake for a summer.

Quote:

I hope someday I have the ability to choose between a world series or 50 million dollars.

I'm going to walk away with heavy pockets.

Regardless, available pitching talent just plain isn't easily available, heck in the past few years it seems that signing a pitcher has been more of a pull on the slot machine than usual. "Good" pitchers doing poorly with plenty of surprise standouts has made baseball interesting for some fans and very frustrating for others.

Post of the year~!!!!

Back to Gardy .... hey coach not only are we going to give you another, very medicore starting staff at best to begin the 2012 season .... guess what, we are going to take every one of the projected starters away from you ..... Good Luck Coach! grin

I thought this post was going to be made irrelevant, as I was sure Gardy was going to die of a massive heart attack last night when the ump threw Diamond out of the game.

Pretty crappy on the ump's part, IMO. It was incredibly obvious that Oswalt hit Mauer on purpose. Diamond equally obviously threw at Hamilton - but missed him. At that point, warnings could have been issued to both benches and the game goes on.

The ump was within his rights to toss Diamond, but if he did that she should without a doubt have tossed Oswalt as well.

is oswalt that much of a baby to throw at a guy when he's behind 3-0? what a flippin silly-me! he coulda cost his team an injury if diamond would've actually connected. not smart thinking when you're probably going to the postseason.

gardy gets worked up from time to time over little stuff, but last night was pretty pathetic from the rangers and oswalt.

I agree that either Oswalt should have been tossed, as well, or nobody should have been tossed (and personally, I think no one should have been tossed out...oldest tradition in baseball is eye for an eye). In any case, it was a pretty smart (yet classless) move on the part of the Rangers...get our best pitcher ejected in the early goings and get into our bullpen on the first day of a four games series. The series is now secure with the first of 4 victories coming from a chess move or two. They know darn well Mauer won't ever charge the mound...but I wish he would have. A good old fashioned benches clearing brawl would have been fun after another dismal season. I bet Willingham throws a mean punch.

Just about the same exact scenario happened in the yankees/indians game. Jeter takes a pitch to the head, Sabathia retaliates by throwing behind the batter. Sabathia did not get ejected, certainly wasn't suspended.

Umpires need to not be so involved. They shouldn't even give warnings when pitchers are sticking up for their teammates. Just let the players play. Maybe MLB can give small fines afterwards, but that's all it should be.

And yeah, Gardy, please retire!

The Twins don't fire anybody! Well at least since the TK years.

Bill Smith still has some sort of title with the team.

Terry Ryan should tell Gardy that he can have some sort of fancy title but its time for a new voice in the dugout.

Here are the free agent starters available this winter...

Which one do they go after?

Scott Baker (31) - $9.25MM club option

Erik Bedard (34)

Joe Blanton (32)

Bartolo Colon (40)

Aaron Cook (34)

Kevin Correia (32)

Doug Davis (37)

Jorge De La Rosa (32) - $11MM player option with a $1MM buyout

Ryan Dempster (36)

R.A. Dickey (38) - $5MM club option with a $300K buyout

Zach Duke (30)

Scott Feldman (29) - $9.25MM club option with a $600K buyout

Jeff Francis (32)

Gavin Floyd (30) - $9.5MM club option

Freddy Garcia (37)

Zack Greinke (28)

Jeremy Guthrie (34)

Rich Harden (31)

Dan Haren (32) - $15.5MM club option with a $3.5MM buyout

Livan Hernandez (38)

Roberto Hernandez (32) - $9MM club option

Tim Hudson (37) - $9MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Edwin Jackson (29)

Hiroki Kuroda (38)

Colby Lewis (33)

Francisco Liriano (29)

Kyle Lohse (34)

Rodrigo Lopez (37)

Derek Lowe (40)

Paul Maholm (31) - $6.5MM club option with a $500K buyout

Shaun Marcum (31)

Jason Marquis (34)

Daisuke Matsuzaka (32)

Brandon McCarthy (29)

Kevin Millwood (38)

Jamie Moyer (50)

Brett Myers (32) - $10MM vesting option with a $3MM buyout

Ramon Ortiz (40)

Roy Oswalt (35)

Carl Pavano (37)

Jake Peavy (31) - $22MM club option with a $4MM buyout

Brad Penny (35)

Joel Pineiro (34)

Anibal Sanchez (29)

Jonathan Sanchez (30)

Ervin Santana (30) - $13MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Joe Saunders (32)

James Shields (31) - $9MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout

Chien-Ming Wang (33)

Kip Wells (36)

Randy Wolf (36)

Chris Young (34)

Carlos Zambrano (32)

Grienke, McCarthy, and Saunders would be my three targets. Grienke will come with a high price tag, but is a legit top-of-the-rotation guy. McCarthy is just starting to develop into a nice guy, and could be a #2 or #3 guy for MN. Saunders is more of a soft-serve, back-end guy, but has produced at times and is certainly better than anyone the Twins will have ready from the minors.

Now they just need to trade Morneau to free up some cash.