• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How long before Gardy is gone?

Rippinlip

Granted we have played Baltimore, NY, Boston, Texas, TB and all (supposedly) good teams. Our division doesn't look real bad either, so I don't see it geting better.

Funny almost 1/2 our wins came from beating NY....

I just do not see upper management dealing with this ratio of wins/losses.

Like the old saying, "you can't fire all the players".

So how long before we make a change?

I am guessing end of May, we will be hovering around 9-11 wins with about 30 losses.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greebs

• Musky Buck

• harvey lee

• B. Amish

I'd be very surprised if gardy would ever get fired. In most any other organization I think he'd likely be gone after this season but don't think it works that way with the twins. he will likely stay as long as he wants to regardless of what happens on the field.

Can anyone name a manager that could get this group of starting pitchers to actually get people out?

Do you really think Gardy has anything to do with the fact that the pitchers can't pitch? What is he supposed to do? Should he go out there and throw the ball for them?

The failure of this team is not due to Gardy or Rick Anderson. The failure lies in the decision to not spend the money to bring in quality players.

It all comes back to the old saying, "garbage in, garbage out". You can't put a feeble group of pitchers like this on the field and expect anything but a disaster.

I'm not saying Gardy is the best coach ever, he's had some suspect decisions over the years but judging him based of this year just isn't fair.

Can anyone name a manager that could get this group of starting pitchers to actually get people out?

Do you really think Gardy has anything to do with the fact that the pitchers can't pitch? What is he supposed to do? Should he go out there and throw the ball for them?

The failure of this team is not due to Gardy or Rick Anderson. The failure lies in the decision to not spend the money to bring in quality players.

It all comes back to the old saying, "garbage in, garbage out". You can't put a feeble group of pitchers like this on the field and expect anything but a disaster.

I'm not saying Gardy is the best coach ever, he's had some suspect decisions over the years but judging him based of this year just isn't fair.

I'm with you on this one. I just don't see Gardy as the main problem. Gardy has done quite a bit in the past with bad teams. Not many other coaches out there want our situation. It will be hard replacing them with anyone better than what we have.

Totally agree.

You get what you pay for and we do not pay much for pitching and thats not gardys fault. Injuries seem to also not be his fault.

I am not some huge gardy fan or for that matter Rick Anderson but you casn only do what you can with the staff you have.

the problem I see with gardy is that he's showing that he's not the kind of mgr that is going to develop the young talent. He inherited a decent team with adequate talent to compete in a division that in most seasons was considered weak. He did well with that talent.

The team is now in rebuilding phase. He's showing again this year just like last year that he's not great at getting the lesser talent to perform well and there are few signs of improvement. He has no problem calling out certain individual players and blaming them but seldom does he ever acknowledge his own part in any failures and he's got his favorites who no matter what they do wrong, he will always heap the praises on those individuals. That kind of managing doesn't appear to be working with the group of players on this team. I don't know who the right guy is to work with this group of players, but it's looking more and more evident that he's not the one that is going to get it done.

That being said, gardy is probably managing the safest team in all of mlb to be a manager of without fear of getting fired. Even though as the original poster mentioned about not being able to fire all the players I still have my doubts we'll ever see anyone else managing this team until ron is ready to retire regardless of how many 85+ losses this team has in the near future.

I do agree that he does favor certain players and calls other out. Maybe he calls out the guys who he thinks can be motivated by such tactics, I'm not sure but it does seem odd.

I don't necessarily think the job of the manager is to develop the young talent. That job falls more to the pitching coach, hitting coach, and the coaches in the minor league system. The managers job is to take what he's given and create a line up that can win games.

If players aren't developing like they should I'd probably look more toward the minor league system and see how the players are being handled. I know they did do some overhauling of the AAA staff recently perhaps that will pay off in the long run.

In general its not the young guys who are killing us. If you look at the pitching staff most of the guys have been around for a number of years either here or else where. If a guy has been in the league for 3-5 years what more development can you do? At that point it becomes a talent issue and the talent just isn't there.

I agree with the thoughts that Gardy's job is pretty secure...but having said that, I think that something will be done to shake the team up a bit.

Look for Span to be traded sooner rather than later, and don't think that Pavano and Liriano are safe from trades either. A veteran starter/innings eater like Pavano could bring some good trade value...

And if we assume that the Twins are out of contention (pretty safe assumption), might as well clean house and bring in some other young talent. I fully expect Span to be gone and Revere to be roaming center field by mid-season.

Couldnt agree more.... Any fan who has watched these guys pitch for the last few years knows there just not that good and they never will be. The twins apparently are either too stupid to see that or too cheap to do anything about it. Its laugable the way the twins addressed this pitching staff in the off-season and now they are reaping what they sowed.

Bring back TK~! Not that it's really an option but that's what they need - a manager that calls it like it is. Someone that doesn't make 1,000 excuses for his players.

well, they sure proved that gardy is the problem by playing well against seattle, right?

No doubt Gardy didn't give Joe 184 mill to hit .277 with a lone jack and 15 RBI's thru May 7th. He didn't fly to Japan and scout Nishi, etc. and he's generally coaching from behind always. He can only coach what he has and there's not a ton to work with. There's always the next game, tonight they catch fire.

Greebs has always had a chip on his shoulder in regards to Gardy!

On a side note Gardy will be employed by somebody for as long as he wants thats just how it works when you are one if not the best Skipper in the game!

Go Twins!

and he became "one of the best Skippers in the game" when? What has he really done in the grand sceme of things? Won a few division titles when our division wasn't that great only to lose out in the first round of the playoffs everytime!!!! Gardy is slightly above average at best if not average as a manager. He keeps his job cause the Twins don't believe in the manager carousel. either way changing managers won't solve this years problem of horrible pitching.....

connect that to feeble hitting, you'd swear every game we're facing Clayton Kershaw or Verlander. I'm slipping some for Gardy, he could go get in a guys kitchen a little bit at times, maybe he does and he's good about keeping that under raps. I predict a big W tonight with a Gardy ejection to boot, time for is it quiet riot, we're not gonna take it. Might be watching Lynx basketball sooner than I thought, jk.

Well, he did win the AL Manager of the Year Award in 2010 and has finished as runner-up 5 times. That's not too shabby, unless you're last name is Torre, La Russa or Cox.

Still, it wouldn't surprise me if he gets the axe after this year. If nothing else so the front office can send a message that they're not content with the status quo. I guarantee if Gardy is cut loose he could have his pick of open jobs.

Pohlads have never fired a coach for what it's worth. Hard to imagine that the way they operate the team more like a business vs a hobby as most other owners. Not a Gardy hater but he does make some odd in game decisions. Also, how often does a Twins pitcher move a batter off the plate? How often does a Twins batter crowd the plate challenging a pitcher to move him back? That's questionable coaching right there.

Lets see Gardy leading the charge in a bench clearing brawl to get this team back in the mix cool

Think Gardy slipping on his slippers for the night said to his wife, see what Josh Hamilton did and his ridiculous numbers last night, we're paying 7.75 million more per year for Joe. Just kidding but I was never happy with that contract for a batting champ or we would've gave Rod Carew a max deal. But hey we had a diamond in the rough last night, Gardy got a way with the minimum alka-seltzer last night. The Angels really are as brutal as our squad in a way at this point. Can we win 2 in a row ?

Quote:
Well, he did win the AL Manager of the Year Award in 2010 and has finished as runner-up 5 times. That's not too shabby, unless you're last name is Torre, La Russa or Cox

And he was 5 out of 32 in the ESPN coaches poll. But hey what do 40 MLB sports writers know know about baseball it's only there JOB and passion.

No offense but to say Gardy is average at best is about as ludicrous as it gets.

I went to my first game last night and am convinced I was the reason for the W. If any of you guys with season tickets want to give me the rest of your tickets this year I'll make sure this season gets headed in the right direction.

Well, he did win the AL Manager of the Year Award in 2010 and has finished as runner-up 5 times. That's not too shabby, unless you're last name is Torre, La Russa or Cox.

Still, it wouldn't surprise me if he gets the axe after this year. If nothing else so the front office can send a message that they're not content with the status quo. I guarantee if Gardy is cut loose he could have his pick of open jobs.

agree with these comments for the most part. I do think the moy award though is more or less just a beauty contest of sorts based on teams with the best records and not really indicative of who was the best manager. Let's face it, you let the same manager handle the yankees one year and the royals the next and he doesn't necessarily go from being a great mgr one year to being worthless the next but guess what season he's going to get some recognition? gardy's always been a guy that will beat teams with lesser talent and seldom beat those with better talent. his playoff record and record against the yankees, red sox, etc. are evidence of that. he's never come close to what la russa accomplished last year.

Also agree that gardy would be offered other jobs but still am of the opinion that he's not the guy at this point in his career that's going to take a group of young players and develop them into a strong team over time. It's sure looking like that is what this organization is facing from a talent standpoint. The cupboards are bare and gardy didn't do much with what he had last year and this season looks like a train wreck once again.

And as have stated before, whether you like the guy, love him, or hate him, how many other professional sporting organizations don't axe the coach/manager when the team fails besides the twins? I'd say keep him for the remainder of this season but if they again have 90 plus losses, it would be in the best interest long term for the organization to look for a fresh start.

Well Gardy finally got Valencia shipped out of the dugout. Reading Joe Joe's recent cbs.sports report from Wednesday, his bat has been good etc. lately keep him activated etc "he is producing at the plate". I added up his last 28 at bats and he's hitting .143 since May 2nd, nice report. Gardy must have ulcers the size of half dollars. Didn't see any of the game last night, how'd it look at the plate and or defensively ?

he's completely lost at the plate. the scouting report on him is to pitch him junk away and he'll flail at it. every at bat is the same. catcher gives the signs, then moves to the outside part of the plate. if he swings, he guessed wrong on the fastball, and flails at it. it he takes it and they call it a strike, he can't believe it, and rolls his eyes.

Agree Amish, I did see his last at bat on the sports feed and that complete lack of running out that flyball, half-heartedly, I knew he'd at least be benched but they went the step further. You bet he rolled his eyes and acted like a kid who didn't win a carnival prize. Of course Inge is off to a decent start. It is easier to see why Gardy wasn't very fond of the guy. You show a true weakness at the plate and it will get exposed until you make the adjustment. Ol shuffle boots Tony Batista may be available,again. Doumit to catch, morneau to first and Mauer to third ? This could be Joe's chance to give it a go if he ever will why not now, we'd have low expectations ? Maybe ?

Twins will always be junk until they get a new owner.

Gardy should be givin a medal for the things he has done in the past with the mediocre talent and little money spent.

Gardy should be givin a medal for the things he has done in the past with the mediocre talent and little money spent.

"I-63, I 63..." BINGO! We have a winner!

Let's see....Angels big spenders...last in division

Bosox.......big spenders...last in division

Yanks.......big spenders 3rd in division

Phillies....big spenders...last in division

Even when KC spent money, they finished last

And the Tigers aren't blowing people away.

Bill Smith screwed things up and it will take a long time to fix it.

Right now, in June when the callers come, take whatever you can for Pavano, Marquis, Lirianno and Blackburn and go with whatever is left.

Fill up the farm system. We don't even have a 3rd baseman. And people

moaned when Punto was there.

how does it go now?

fans think spending big bucks equals a world series... but fans also think spending big bucks is why we're junk right now.

No doubt, I think spending big bucks is high risk, especially in baseball, hockey you can blend in and not score for a month and still contribute a great deal to the team, football you make that huge play here and there and it can determine the game, basketball the great are great, the good are good, the bad are bad look at Mauer, we're getting squat on that deal, look at Jayson Werth for the Nationals, squat. Even Morneau, squat and his deal wasn't as monsterous. Albert so far, squat. Johan Santana,nearly squat. Who was that Royals righthander that got that huge deal, squat. It is very risky to see a guy put a few great years together or a string of pitching performances than you're like a dime late and a dollar short when "you" make the deal. Then they underperform or injuries take control of their careers, when you guess right on a guy you look like a genius, when you don't they want your head. I think baseball is a tough one to predict, so much happens, they play nearly every day, it's just you and the pitcher at the plate, it's primarily you on a defensive play, it's you running the bases, mistakes are rarely hidden in baseball. I think it's the right mix of guys at the right time with the organization making the right draft pick or free agent signing and then having more talent than the other teams or simply performing best when it counts etc. Right now lets say Texas has Varsity talent, we kinda got c-squad talent, talent or no though, you have to prove it night in and out, there's no taking a game off or two in baseball.