• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MN opener VS Wisconsin ???

I do not want to start a big fight again, I just want answers to why their ok with a start of fishing season May 5th in Wisconsin and Minnesota is a week later and all I hear is how it is will harm the fish in minny and not in their state??? are we in Minnnesota that dumb???

North Dakota is north of WI and their fishing season is year round. They also have cheaper fishing licenses, minimal slot limit restrictions and fishermen can transport 2 days worth of fishing limits. Their fishing regs book is 28 pages and ours is 92 (Kind of says it all). With that lack of MN style micromanagement, their fishing stocks have never been healthier.

Because the Minnesota walleyes don't get done spawning till next thursday, maybe not even till later friday.......

There is no biological reason to close the season for spawning. Maybe the resort owners want to take their vacations during this time and don't want to lose business to competitors.

Having both openers on the same day would cost resorts money. As it is now a lot of folks do both openers at resorts or at least travel to MN and Wi. a week apart. As far as North Dakota goes they have some ok fishing but not like we have and would you want to live there year round?

If I'm not mistaken the WI opener used to be two weeks before the MN opener. I think the best answer is both are set by a political body based on input by the DNR. Name one lake in WI that is not a border water that can beat Lake of the Woods, Rainy, Vermillion, Red, Winne, Leech, Mille Lacs, ect. for catch rate and multiple species.

As far as North Dakota goes they have some ok fishing but not like we have and would you want to live there year round?

It's better than "ok" and Yes.

If I'm not mistaken the WI opener used to be two weeks before the MN opener. I think the best answer is both are set by a political body based on input by the DNR. Name one lake in WI that is not a border water that can beat Lake of the Woods, Rainy, Vermillion, Red, Winne, Leech, Mille Lacs, ect. for catch rate and multiple species.

The fishing in WI is just as good as it is here, heck they grow bigger crappies.

The reason for the split opener between MN and WI has already been posted, people go to both, and why miss out on that out of state money.

The Legislature sets the fishing opener dates with "guidance" from the DNR.

Basically the Blind leading the Blinder.

If we didn't unnecessarily close the season there wouldn't be a need to play these political games every year. We could fish around our schedules instead of waiting for the politicians and resort lobby to find the most profitable time for them.

Minnesota fish have a lot more regulations to read up on, as they change from year to year and need an extra week to get ready for the anglers.

The fishing opener dates are based more on tradition than anything else. There is no chance the MN and WI DNRs actually sit down and talk about having their openers on different weekends to promote tourism. Last time I checked both states had at least a couple other states that they share borders with. Do those states get a say in when the MN & WI fishing openers are?

While I would agree that MN has better fishing than WI for the most part. To answer your question Green Bay is hard to beat for catch rate, and size for multiple species.

Because the Minnesota walleyes don't get done spawning till next thursday, maybe not even till later friday.......

Best response! LMAO!!