• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jr. Seau DEAD

EBass

I just received a news update on my phone on this a half hour ago...

Very sad.

RIP...

Suonds like a self inflicted gunshot wound to the chest.

Sounds like he's had a few personal issues since retiring. I wonder if the autopsy is going to show a bunch of brain damage sustained during 20 years worth of NFL hits.

Way to many NFL players dieing way too young.

this is a tough one, on the field he was a complete pro, RIP Junior

I was reading today the he is the 8th player from their 1994 Superbowl team to die, that is just plain wrong.....RIP Jr.

Hard to say if it has anything to do with football or not, people kill themselves everyday that never played football.

I doubt the 50 concussions helped any though.

Fishinguru, True, people kill themselves every day but the average life expectancy of a normal person in the US is 78, the average age of an NFL player is mid fifties. Average career in the NFL is slightly less than 5 years, NFL players have almost twice the divorce rate of the average US citizen and more than likely that NFL player is going to have to live the rest of his life with head trauma or some other form of injury to the body. Compound that with having to deal with the prospect of not being able to play the game you love and it is a recipe for some psychological reaction, whether it be mild depression or what what happened to Jr. Another falsity is that these players are set for life. The majority of today's players make less than 1 million a year and are in and out in 3 years or less. Couple that with poor decisions on investments or simple overspending and you have another stressor. Football is one of the few sports where you have the shortest life expectancy, career length and smallest payrolls. Couple that with it being the most violent sport and all that adds up.People have been speculating why Jr. shot himself in the chest instead of the head, maybe he wanted the head to remain intact for a brain autopsy.Pure speculation on my part but having a number of friends that i played with that are now dead from suicide leads me to believe that the concussions along with all the other stressors lead to this suicide.

very sad to see but im sure some type of lawsuit will come from this or be used in some lawsuit

mr klean that's the new america the lawsuit, the i'm sorry means squat now, like the drug dealer in Cal. that got left in a room for 5 days, now he wants 20 million, guess he can drop out of college now and quit selling drugs, back to junior, really sad deal I'm not glad but I'm glad he had the guts not to take anyone else down with him in a physical sense.

Fishinguru, True, people kill themselves every day but the average life expectancy of a normal person in the US is 78, the average age of an NFL player is mid fifties. Average career in the NFL is slightly less than 5 years, NFL players have almost twice the divorce rate of the average US citizen and more than likely that NFL player is going to have to live the rest of his life with head trauma or some other form of injury to the body. Compound that with having to deal with the prospect of not being able to play the game you love and it is a recipe for some psychological reaction, whether it be mild depression or what what happened to Jr. Another falsity is that these players are set for life. The majority of today's players make less than 1 million a year and are in and out in 3 years or less. Couple that with poor decisions on investments or simple overspending and you have another stressor. Football is one of the few sports where you have the shortest life expectancy, career length and smallest payrolls. Couple that with it being the most violent sport and all that adds up.People have been speculating why Jr. shot himself in the chest instead of the head, maybe he wanted the head to remain intact for a brain autopsy.Pure speculation on my part but having a number of friends that i played with that are now dead from suicide leads me to believe that the concussions along with all the other stressors lead to this suicide.

Don't forget all the roids they took. Your big bad and mean when your all roided up but when you come off them the withdrawls and changes in your body cause all sorts of problems.

Oh yeah, everybody was on weren't they. What a totally irresponsible comment. What kind of medical degree do you have that you're basing that on? I've known plenty of people that have used steroids in all sports that haven't had any of your purported side affects as a result of going off. Before making a statement like that know what you're talking about and do some research besides what you've read or heard on ESPN or maybe you heard it on roto world? Do yourself a favor and read up on pre and post cycle therapy when using steroids and you can then apologize for your eroneous statement.

Need a tissue?

If your going to come up with a whole logical reason for this and that why these sports figures kill themselves you better include steriods. I feel bad for you if you don't think steroids cause mental problems including suicide.

Not with everyone, just like not everyone kills themselves cause they got a few concussions or just because they play football.

Opps, I just did some quick research here is the very first link that popped up.

http://www.anabolicsmall.com/roidd2.htm

to me this is more of the grief that this action caused the family. if anyone seen the news conference where his mother was so emotionaly torn, it would break your heart. sure he was a great player, and well admired by his fans. however he is just a person and has caused grief to his family which happens too often sadly. i pray for him and his family. we may find out what led to this, and may not.

all this talk of steroids and concussions may be relevent with a sport like this. remember, i bet he and others have been playing football since they were kids, and with physical contact for years with this sport. it doesn't all happen in the pro's. the body takes a beating from childhood until that player is one of the few that make the pro's. we dont know if it was the "football career" or emotional events that led to his decision to take his own life, if that's the case. for now my prayers are with the family, who need the comfort of carring people, not media consumption for headlines. good luck.

Sad deal for Jr. Always was one of my favorites.

Nobody forces these guys to play the game. It's a high risk job and with it comes some very real side-effects.

I think many of the guys have a hard time getting in to the reality of life once they stop playing the game. Sort of a separation anxiety.

Our soldiers go through the same type of things when they return from duty as well. If you think the suicide rate for ex- NFL players is high...check out the rate for our returning soldiers.

Nobody forces these guys to play the game. It's a high risk job and with it comes some very real side-effects.

Our soldiers go through the same type of things when they return from duty as well. If you think the suicide rate for ex- NFL players is high...check out the rate for our returning soldiers.

No body forces people to become coal miners either, but guess what, we have established rules and created a agency to enforce those rules to make the job as safe as it can be. All jobs fall under some sort of safety rules. Why should football be different? Just because we like it?

Yup our service personnel have a high rate, that is shameful. Perhaps we could put our money where our mouths are and get some benefits where they are needed. Oh, I forgot, that costs money.

Fishinguru, Yeah, I do need a tissue as Jr. Seau was a friend of mine and the Charger family as well and for every poorly documented study on withdrawl effects of steroids there are just as many that can chronicle it's use without side effects. Throwing this aside, point well made with returning soldiers Zepman and their difficult adjustments to functioning properly after being through war. It does point out that suicide is an emotional decision sometimes resulting from trauma, sometimes from medication sometimes from ptsd sometimes from bullying but to attach an eroneous comment that steroids could have possibly played a part in his death was ridiculous. Think next time before opening your mouth.

but to attach an eroneous comment that steroids could have possibly played a part in his death was ridiculous. Think next time before opening your mouth.

LOL, OK.

I guess it's ridiculous to suggest that steroid use/withdrawl might be the reasoning for some of these guy's killing themselves. It must strictly be concussions or not making enough money in their career. Think what you want, if you want to be pro steroid be my guest. I suggest you do some research on the psychiatric effects of steroid use.

IMO, Junior just had some inner demons. He was believed to have tried to kill himself @ three years ago when he ran his vehicle off a road into a ravine.

Dude was good on the field that's for sure. Shame he's dead. Bigger shame it's suicide.

Suicide is something I'll never understand. It really doesn't matter if you're the king of the world or living on skid row, I just don't get it.