Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
masoct3

Night Fishing in the Metro

masoct3

Hello!

I want to get into night fishing. Seems like fun. However, I dont know any place around the metro where I can PARK and fish. I would love to fish from 8pm-2am.

Does anyone know where I could accomplish such a wish? The mississippi has spots, but its all until 10pm. Any local lakes that people will leave me alone?

Thank you....

50inchpig

break-ins are one thing but i've never heard of anyone being cited for using a boat ramp or lot after hours, except maybe the pay lot at harriet, and i've never personally had any problems either, including launches and lots on the mississippi.

you fishing from shore or from a boat?

jvm1

Only place that I know it's ok is Minnetonka, I had a chat with a cop at Bald Eagle years ago, but that place is different cause they close the gate to the park at sundown.

I'll be very interested to know more about this as I love night fishing as well.

bobbymalone

break-ins are one thing but i've never heard of anyone being cited for using a boat ramp or lot after hours, except maybe the pay lot at harriet, and i've never personally had any problems either, including launches and lots on the mississippi.

I've never gotten a ticket with an empty boat trailer but I've got them in my car parked at the same place when I'm fishing from shore.

I've been caught fishing after hours in parks by the cops several times and only been sent home once.

50inchpig

they don't close down the the bald eagle launch after dark, at least not in the last 3 or 4 years, but you've got a better chance of a break in there than any other lake in the area and it's dark and spooky if you're the only one there.

RuKiddingMe

they don't close down the the bald eagle launch after dark, at least not in the last 3 or 4 years, but you've got a better chance of a break in there than any other lake in the area and it's dark and spooky if you're the only one there.

I hop in with 50inchpig frequently and vise versa, there isn't a lake yet we have wanted to fish after dark and not been able to fish.

Even if you launch at a park with a gate most of them you can get out of but not in after a certain time. Plus I would think most officers would leave a vehicle with an empty trailer alone, it's not like you are causing trouble.

I'll agree about the BE launch being spooky in the dark when you are alone, I can think of a couple more also, like the lake 3 launch on Flake, or the east lake launch on Rush Lake, the Wacouta and Lillydale launches are pretty creepy also. Heck with all the creepy old guys hanging out in the Lillydale launch it give me the creeps in the middle of the day.

Slabasaurus

The only place a LEO has addressed me and ordered me to quit fishin for the night was at Bald Eagle.

I've never had an issue at any of the river accesses I fish, be they parks or launches.

BoxMN

My bros truck got broke into at BE at night, about 5 minutes after he hit the boat to fish. He knows because he only fished for about 20 minutes before quitting, and his stuff was gone. Take everything out of sight, especially iPod/phone/GPS cords, etc. They KNOW you have electronics in there if they see those - that is what LEO told him.

Good luck!

pinkfloyd4ever

unfortunately we could say Bald Eagle, but I think any launch would be a risk at night, low traffic and anyone else passing by would think your the vehicle owner and your out in the boat so the would be thief should hear you coming back.

Since spoon/gervais is close by, I fish there often late into the night or come back early in the morning, never had a problem there but have heard of others who have. Likewise, been at BE late and not had problems, but I agree that landing is spooky and poorly lit

masoct3

From shore....

At hidden falls, an CO said I have to leave at 10pm.

masoct3

Any decent spots I can park a car at without any trouble or towing involved? Bays?

Only place that I know it's ok is Minnetonka, I had a chat with a cop at Bald Eagle years ago, but that place is different cause they close the gate to the park at sundown.

I'll be very interested to know more about this as I love night fishing as well.

masoct3

In regards to gangs, I have several weapons of choice (USMC issued bow knives and what not) and that doesn't make or break anything. Just need to fish at night....calm for me. Relaxing.

Tator2k

There's always good spots on the chain of lakes for night fishing. We've done Calhoun,Isles, Harriet and Nakomis late into the evening.

fishdaddy

I've been ticketed twice at crystal lake in Burnsville and have 2 friends that have got them there also. This was at least 5 years ago. I understand why parks are closed at 10:00pm but if you have an empty boat trailer on your vehicle you shouldn't get a ticket. Some of the best fishing happens at night. The fine back then was $110.00.

masoct3

Sorry to hear this. Myself being without a boat, it's hard to find a parking spot around a city lake because of times available to park, and people calling CO or Police for people who simply want to get a line wet. I just dont understand this state and why they are so, or think they are intimidating when they are just acting like fools.

I've been ticketed twice at crystal lake in Burnsville and have 2 friends that have got them there also. This was at least 5 years ago. I understand why parks are closed at 10:00pm but if you have an empty boat trailer on your vehicle you shouldn't get a ticket. Some of the best fishing happens at night. The fine back then was $110.00.

jvm1

Gray's bay access is open all night withoput problems in Minnetonka.

If you get out of Ramsey and Hennepin county night fishing is not a problem.

When I bought my boat 4 years ago I called the Ramsey county police and the DNR offices and got the same reply on both, no parking after 10 pm in county accesses.

That was 4 yrs ago like I said but after seeing all these responses I might try my luck this year in a couple spots.

RuKiddingMe

I have had the WBL police stop and chat with me at the launch between 12:30 am and 1 am... I didn't know that about the after 10pm... for what it's worth frequently we'll also have a car (no boat trailer) in the lot and have been lucky enough not to be bothered.

half-dutch

You will get ticketed by either Minneapolis park police or city police if you park after 10 pm in any of the city park lots or on the posted parkways. You will also get ticketed if you park in any of the City Park lots without a sticker or you do not feed the meter. You may or may not get chased off the fishing docks after 10 pm. I never have been, but others I know have been ordered out. The Park closes at 10:00 and is now a whole lot safer and quieter in the evening that it was before they went that route. It wasn't fishermen that caused the 10 pm closing as I understand it, and this goes back a few years, too. If we are likely to stay past the curfew on any of the docks, we park on a nearby side street that isn't posted.

lazyhounedaleth

the closet i found that you wont get ticketed is st croix ,.

clayton08

minnesota river by far is my night fishing spot and sippi also but mn river for me this year has been crazy at night!!!!

KidMoe

Lots of great shore fishing spots the whole length of the Mississippi. A lot of places you won't get hassled as long as you avoid most parks.

masoct3

Any specific areas you can let me know about? Much appreciated!

masoct3

There are a lot of parks. Can you give me some directional spots?

Thanks!

mrklean

mill ruins never had a problem down there staying late

LazyIke

Nokomis. Park a block away on a residential street. Way more residential parking around Nokomis than Calhoun, Cedar, Harriet, etc.