• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports by LOTW Outdoorsman

LOTW_Outdoorsman

Here is my latest adventure on Lake of the Woods, which took myself and a couple friends up to Sioux Narrows, Ontario Canada in search for the mighty Lake Trout! It was the first time I'd ever been Lake Trout fishing so need less to say there were some tough lessons learned, but the Lord blessed us with a bountiful harvest!

Enjoy the Fishing Reports / Fishing and stay tuned for the next adventure from the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. As always, Happy Fishing and God Bless!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LOTW_Outdoorsman

• Sifty

• cbrooks

• Jared_P

Man I love those long screaming runs! Congrats on your first Laker! And you guys had the lake to yourselves! Great video, and first edition to many more Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman Videos!

Now that you've got the Laker bug, it might be tough to get you after anything else! Ha, ha, ha... Nothing like Lake Trout on the grill. Mmmmm.... smile

• 2 weeks later...

What was the size of that big walleye your wife caught in that video?

It just doesn't get any better than sharing the boat with a few good friends. I'm sure there's a few of you out there that can relate.

Happy Fishing and God Bless!

Here's another great day from the Walleye Capital of the World...I love my job!

Another top notch video! Really gets me counting the days until I get up there for 8 days of fishing.

You mentioned walleye sandwiches a couple times in your videos. How do you prepare them?

We love the Walleye up here, and for a man that brings home most of the bacon in Walleye, my wife has sure gotten great at preparing it. But, most the resorts up here do a fantastic job at preparing the fish you catch. Deep-frying it and then putting it in the fridge is the best way I've found to make some great Walleye sandwiches. My wife will make her homemade tarter sauce and put the Walleye on some homemade bread with cheese and lettuce. It's making my mouth water just thinking about it!

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the next addition of the Lake of the Woods Fishing Report Video with the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. The Walleyes have moved to deep water in the big body 32 -34' and have been effectively caught while down rigging and trolling lead core line with Rapalas and Reef Runners. They also have been found on the rock reefs up north, be sure to be right on top of those reefs. In the video we were able to find those tasty little buggers drifting in the rock rubble and sand just west of Little Oak Island in 12 - 18' and just west of Garden Island in 30 - 34'.

• 1 month later...

This video is just simply another couple fantastic days on our tremendous fishery. I've learned many things over the years, but I think this is the most important...the numbers are up north, but the big fish are in the big body of water.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome back to another addition of the Lake of the Woods Fishing Report Video with the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. I apologize for length between reports, but I've been working on some sleeper ice fishing houses/Base Camp for portable trips for hopefully many of you. In this weeks addition, I had the opportunity to fish once again out of Sportsman's Lodge Oak Island. With a few great friends (guides) by my side, we tore around the Ontario waters in search for the lakes most wanted.

In my boat for three days we had Marv and Rodger Hoffman, two brothers from Iowa who've made the journey through life, but this was there first experience with Ontario waters on Lake of the Woods...it was all my pleasure. As the story's flew about growing up through life I felt as if by the end of the trip I had made two new friends for life. Fishing is fun, but fishing with family is unforgettable. We caught Walleye, Sauger, Perch and the occasional Crappie (that's just heating up) on our adventure. The Group was awesome, many stories, many more made, and I'm sure many more to come on Lake of the Woods.

As always, Happy Fishing and God Bless.

Welcome back to another addition of the Lake of the Woods Fishing Report Videos with the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. In this weeks addition I had the opportunity to fish with one of my very good friend's (Tyler "The Cropduster" Ness) Aunt and Uncle from Fergus Falls, MN. It was a fantastic, let's say UNBELIEVABLE 3 and half hours of fishing on an extremely windy day on the south end of the lake. In the short time that we fished we boated over 100 Walleyes and Saugers.

The jig bite is back, so be sure to pick up some frozen shiners. The word on the street is that the Walleyes are already chasing the shiners up the Rainy River, and it won't be long before you don't even have to go to the lake to get your Walleyes. But, for now the best bite has been in 26' - 31' off the Line, also out from Zipple Bay and Long Point off the green can.

Thank you again for watching and I hope that this sparks an interest to visit our wonderful community here on Lake of the Woods, the Walleye Capital of the World. Don't forget that ice fishing is right around the corner.

As always, Happy Fishing and God Bless...

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome back to another addition of the Lake of the Woods Fishing Report Videos with the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. In this episode you'll get the chance to follow us out to Northwest Point about 28 miles north of Lighthouse Gap on the US/Canadian Line. We jigged all day and boated well over 100 fish. Gold was the best color tipped with a frozen shiner, even when the sun wasn't shinning. Tom's Tackle and JR's Tackle both provide some great jigs and I've been having my best success on the rattle jigs...just a humble FYI. Special thank you to Scott, Shane and John for sharing the boat with me on this fine day.

If you're coming up to the Walleye Capital of the World this next week you won't have to go any further than Lighthouse Gap and Morris Gap in 28 - 31 feet of water respectively. The Walleyes are starting to school up and the jig bite is back in full force. Remember that when you're jigging on Lake of the Woods to grab a spike anchor before you make the journey up here...you want to be as vertical as possible while jigging to ensure success.

Thank you all for paying attention and I look forward to sharing my boat some day with each of you.

As always, Happy Fishing and God Bless.

Great video! I am headed to LOTW Saturday for my first fall walleye trip up there. After watching this I am super excited to wet a line and catch some fish.

• 2 months later...

Welcome back to another fantastic ice fishing season on the World's Best Hard Water Fishery, Lake of the Woods. In this addition on the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman, the Cropduster and Wiggles accompany me in the sky above Lake of the Woods for this December 5, 2012 view of the south shore of Lake of the Woods...Baudette to Warroad. We are now at the mercy of the wind, but what's new about that (anyone who fishes Lake of the Woods in the summer will get this). We need the wind to blow back the ice to close the gap (which it's doing right now) and then quit for a few days to have a nice cold subzero freeze (which it's supposed to be -13 on Monday evening).

Make sure to be safe if you're venturing out there past Pine Island (Walking and Wheelers). The Rainy River has had rumors about the Walleyes putting on the feed bag in the evenings just before dark...the night bite. I'd fish from the Airport to Wheelers Point (Walking Only with portable). This is the preseason look at what we're expecting to be another fantastic ice fishing season in our wonderful backyard. Come share in all the fun and create fishing experiences that you'll be exaggerating for years.

As always, Happy Fishing and God Bless!

Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman

Cool video JP, I'm guessing around the 6:20 mark is the airboat picking those guys up? I also noticed that although it is illegal to text and drive it is not illegal to text and fly lol laugh

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome back to another edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. I just wanted to start this off by thanking everyone that has made this transition in my life possible. We have the ice cabins/sleepers on the big body of water and they are catching fish!

I started off in close to 18' of water, but have settled in 25' just off Adrian's Road, which is about 2 miles past Pine Island. The glow colors have been working great, but with this light bite many have seen success on the plain hook with a bobber on a dead stick. I have talked with resort workers all over the lake and the bite is steady everywhere right now.

Only snowmobile, ATV and resort Tracker traffic are being allowed on the ice roads at this time. I spoke with Brian Ney with Adrian's yesterday, and he said we need some colder weather before they will start letting full size rigs on the ice...he thought it could be a week away, but that is only speculation...pray for cold weather!

Thank you all for paying attention to these humble reports, and as always, Happy Fishing and God Bless!

Great report JP..Wish I would have known you had new houses this year, I definately would have booked. I'll look you up next year!

Awesome video report JP, don't get me wrong I appreciate all of the video reports from LOW that are popping up; but the one's from Jean Paul are the absolute best HANDS DOWN!!!

Merry Christmas and welcome back to another edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoormsman on beautiful Lake of the Woods. In this episode you'll get the opportunity to see us fish in 24 - 25 feet of water just of Adrian's Road in one of the new Ice Cabins. There was plenty of activity, just a ton of small Saugers are roaming the mud flats right now, and a few MONSTER Sturgeon (as you'll see at the end of the video).

The dead stick method has been the best with this finicky bite that we're experiencing right now, but make sure to have your Charmers and Hot Tamale's all charged up before you throw them down the hole. Live chubs have been out producing the frozen Shiner this last week. The temp has been dropping everyday and it hit -13 below zero F last night. The plus is that we're making ice, the minus is that the fluctuation has slowed down the bite, just a bit. This is great news for the masses wanting to get the wheel houses out on Adrian's Road.

We just moved 3 houses in with the rest of Ryan Donat's houses with Bayview Lodge in 29 feet of water. We're searching for those nice Walleyes, which that pursuit never ends. This week all the Ice Cabins are rented out and ready to put the hottest baits to the test...make sure to see what we're using in next weeks episode.

Merry Christmas again and as always, Happy Fishing and God Bless!