Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
TunaCan

Otsego/Elk River Catfishing Report

TunaCan

Fishing is picking up with rising water depths. Caught seven this morning with the biggest two at 8 lbs. Had my first two smaller cats on nightcrawlers which fishing for bait which usually indicates to me the fish are getting more aggressive. All larger fish were caught on cut sucker in 3-6 FOW over gravel bottoms. Bite was still a little tentative especially from larger fish.

EBass

Good report!

Catch any pike on cutbait? I caught 3 so far this year which I thought was odd until other people caught one or two. Of course they were all released with everything else.

Otherwise it's been pretty slow for me fishing da Crow/Sip/MN

TunaCan

The only species of fish I have ever caught on cut sucker is catfish. Pike will certainly take dead bait such as smelt, but I have never caught one on cut bait.

TunaCan

Fishing was surprisingly slow today. I thought conditions were about perfect for one of my better shore fishing spots, but it was tough. I managed three cats ranging from 4-6 lbs on cut sucker. Bites were still tentative and were few and far between.

I did catch my first non-catfish on cut bait. It was a 12 lb carp. It was snagged, but near the mouth and I am wondering if it actually hit cut sucker? Also caught my first walleye of the year on balled up nightcrawler fishing for suckers.

davidbigreelz

ive had a few pike hit cutbait as im reeling it back in, but only when ive had bigger peices cut more into "flaps" maybe it mimics a minnow.

Also in elk river ive noticed the cats seem to be feeding, the one i got on fri, had a huge paunch on him for 26in, and you could feel the crawfish in him! he was just gorging, caught him on a crawler fishing for bait also. In fact, every elk river cat ive caught and kept has been full of crawfish now that i think of it.

TunaCan

Catfishing was humbling this morning. I caught two smaller fish (3 and 4 lbs) on cut sucker in a couple hours. I was about 2 for 12 on bites. My sucker was a couple days old. The fish were stripping the softer meat from the skin without getting to the hook.

I have been catfishing this section of river for about 8 years and have caught hundreds of catfish on cut bait, but never another fish species. A couple weeks back I caught a 12 lb carp and today I caught my first northern. Thought it was worth mentioning since Ebass brought it up.

Brad B

yea I hooked into a northern last year up by becker when I was fishing for cats. It took me by surprise as I didn't think that a northern would pick a piece of cut bait off the bottom. the only thing I can think of is there must have been enough current there to have it floating and rolling in the current and this is why the fish hit it.

TunaCan

Have been out a couple mornings this past week and fishing has not been good. Bites are few and far between and are not enthusiastic. Will get a hit and then they go away without taking the bait. I normally experience this type of lull around beginning of June so maybe fishing is 2-3 weeks ahead of normal for this year or maybe catfish populations are down in this section of river. The past two years have been a struggle with fewer fish and slower action in general. Size has been good, but numbers are down considerably for me.

Is anyone having good luck on cats right now? If so, what time of day and what depth of water?

jstrommen13

I've been getting cats in 2 to 6ft at about 9 in the evening

TunaCan

Took the boat out Friday morning for the first time this year. Fished for about four hours in a number of different spots and got a total of two bites. Water was obviously very high which complicated things, but I have generally done well for catfish with high water conditions. The Elk River boat landing was flooded up into the parking lot. One of my better shore fishing spots was filled with bullheads...never had that happen before.

TunaCan

Got out this morning for a few hours. Caught a sucker for bait along with a nice eater walleye (about 16") and three nice smallies (15-17") on nightcrawlers. Had several cautious catfish bites, but only managed one fish (a solid 5 lb). Had two others on that came off which is rare using circle hooks.

TunaCan

Water was high and rising. Shore fishing was tough, but managed three good fish including a dandy 28 incher that went 7 1/2 lbs without eggs. I lost another good one in a snag and missed a few more bites so a limit would have been possible in a couple hours of fishing.

klatt45

Just wondering how's the fishing on the mississippi at the Otsego park? Never fished there before and might go down and try it on saturday.