• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help with quiet toms

Handsonthepole

Anyone know what the best approach is when toms go silent? We have a large population on our farm and the last 3 days has been dead silent. Can't get a tom to gobble on the roost in the morning at all. I know they are there as I see them throughout the day. Any idea why they are so quiet now and any suggestions on how to approach this? My blood is starting to boil as my season starts this Wednesday? Thanks!

Not to change the subject but I thought the B season started Monday(today) and C season starts on Saturday? Either way good luck to you, they can be very frustrating when they are quiet. Find that spot where you see them during the day and wait them out.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Set up in those spots that the toms eventually end up. I like to hit travel funnels and strutting zones. There's a lot of breeding going on right now so less gobbling. Gobbling should pick up again in the next week or so.

Crow call will probably get them to gobble, but may or may not help you kill them. Previous posts about setting up in areas they like to frequent is solid, although these areas are not always easily identified or consistent from day to day. Good luck.

they could be roosting elsewhere and coming onto your property later in the morning.

i have found they almost always gobble on the roost, even on those days when they go silent after hitting the ground. the times i have seen them not gobble on the roost was due to weather - wind, rain or cold.

another thing that will cause them not to gobble on the roost is calling to them too early. i always let them gobble on their own first, then maybe a tree yelp or two, but usually i dont start workin them until they hit the ground.

this is the "peak of the rut," so to speak. hens everywhere waiting to be bred, so not much gobbling needed to attract them.

but i still hunt the way i always do - not necessarily cuttin and runnin but moving slowly from spot to spot, looking to spark a gobble and being alert for one to come in silent.

If the toms are silent, chase the hens. Might have to set an ambush or get in front of a moving group and call very lightly to see if you can pull the tom away from his hens.

They went silent in the area my son is hunting too. Yesterday heard 5 separate toms from the road before sunrise. Today - nothing. Even where I know they flew up last night. I agree they usually gobble from the roost, but some days it is once, other days it is occassional, and some mornings non-stop. If they are roosting with hens nearby - they probably gobble less.

I have also noticed that the hens usually fly down first - any one else observe this ?

It also appears the birds are staying in the woods or openings in the woods. Fields were rather bare on the way home today. Saw plenty Sunday and Monday around the same time.

If the toms are silent, chase the hens. Might have to set an ambush or get in front of a moving group and call very lightly to see if you can pull the tom away from his hens.

A strategy that works best in the wide open west. As you well know. wink

Scaup,

Don't worry bout their level of vacalization if you know they are there. I hope you haven't been using turkey calls to get them to gobble?????

You obviously know what they tend to do. Set up in a blind ideally, in an area they will be near or at after flydown time. I basically call the same way every time I am set up.

I broadcast a series of calls every 1.5 min for first 15 minutes after flydown, every 5 min for next 30 minutes, every 7-10 minutes for the next hour, gradually decreasing frquency thru mid day but never less than every 30 minutes. This timing ofcourse applies until a gobbler commences communicating with you whereupon you need to take his "temperature" to establish what he likes. Silent birds cause many a hunter to prematurely go seeking their whereabouts only to bump them and squander your opportunity. Be patient, even tho they may not be vocalizing they are still in the midst of their breeding season.

Selent birds test even the most seasoned hunters!!!!

Good luck, you'll get him.

WD

Thanks guys.....hitting the woods tomorrow. Saw 48 birds in a field near our attack zone. 5 toms in full strutt. Hopefully the weather holds. Thanks again! Will post tomorrow hopefully with a pic of happy uncle and bird in hand!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.