Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Craigums

Best boat launches

Craigums

What are some of the friendliest boat launches near south st. paul? Just bought my first big glass boat and want a place to practice dropping it in and pulling it out. Took it to big marine but thats just a bit farther than id like to go

RuKiddingMe

Most of the main lakes (Tonka, Waconia, BE, Flake and many others)are all pretty good, depth and maintenance wise. The WBL launch may be a bit of a challenge, but might also be worth trying so you can learn your limits.

EBass

If you want to master loading and unloading your boat go the the river. Hidden Falls to be exact. The current will give you headaches, but once you get to a lake it will be a breeze.

Craigums

If you want to master loading and unloading your boat go the the river. Hidden Falls to be exact. The current will give you headaches, but once you get to a lake it will be a breeze.

have you ever used the launch under 494 bridge? that one is right by my house.

EBass

Yes - I don't think the current is as bad there as it is at Hidden Falls. It's just that Hidden Falls has ripping back current. So you're going one way then you pass the seam and now you're going the opposite. It's a pain. Prolly not the best idea for your first time now that I'm thinkin bout it.

But yeah rivers are way more of a pain than a lake. Of course 30PMH winds blowing into a ramp at a lake will suck to.

pinkfloyd4ever

Because its close to my home I hit spoon lake, it has a decent access, no docks, the only draw back is it always seems the wind is screaming out of the south which can make loading a pain.

WhopperPlopper

Just tried 494 ramp myself for the firs time on sunday.

It is MUCH easier than hidden falls. i dont recommend HF until u have more experience or until its warmer out, because u will probably just end up with wet shoes!

494 has minimal current, a fair to high amount of approach space, and the most important aspect- A Dock! (hidden falls has none)

Just remember to pull your plug before leaving- save our lakes and save yourself a ticket!

Good luck, and thanks for practicing!

BassFisherman

Where is thw 494 access that ur talking about?

Kyhl

I've seen some funny stuff happen at that launch. The best was watching a guy try backing his empty trailer down the ramp over and over. One of his attempts had the trailer at a 90 degree angle on the ramp. Probably was jack knifed. It was hilarious. He must have tried it 10 times before the owner beached the boat and backed the trailer in all Pi$$ed off. Peeling out on the ramp without a boat.

We were watching from the water while we waited for a friend to show up. Ah, good times.

To the original poster. Just relax and take your time. There will always be someone else in a hurry that will screw it up worse and you can laugh at them. laugh

Kyhl

Another good one might be under the Hwy 77 bridge on the MN river. No one is ever there and their is no current. Nice concrete launch.

I launched there two weeks ago without a problem. You will need a state park sticker though.

Kyhl

Launched out of Hidden Falls yesterday afternoon. They must have opened up the dam a bit because the water was higher and flowing faster than it was two weeks ago.

hydro

Now that's just plain cruel. I grew up in the area and we would set up chairs on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon just to watch the chaos as people tried to land their boats after a refreshment filled day out on the river. One day the current will be ripping by from the north, the next it will be from the south and once in a while it will be in the calm center of the eddy. Add to that the steep slope of the landing and the fist size rock bottom and lots of bad things can happen quick. Launching is easy here but to get back onto the trailer you have to be lined up as you float by in the current, and drive on as you pass the trailer. Sort of a timing and boat handling skill thing. Forget about nudging up to the trailer and winching the boat up.

Tator2k

I would call it being pushed up stream at about 45 degree angle and then turning into the trailer. I keep my bunks a little further out of the water so the boat can grab on. I typically by myself which makes this even more exciting (read: harder)

Aaron Carrell

Craigums, in my opinion the 494 ramp would be an excellent candidate for you to learn on since its so close. Its fairly even on either side, though the right ramp (looking from the water) is a little nicer. I didn't notice hardly any current up to the ramp. The channel is a good 100+ feet to the east of the ramp, and that shallow flat doesn't have a ton of flow over it.

Good luck, and have fun with your new toy!